2015 Fall Seller Update

Welcome to the 2015 Fall Seller Update discussion thread. Myself and other eBay staff will read all your comments and do our best to respond as our schedules permit.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 298
latest reply
297 REPLIES 297

2015 Fall Seller Update

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@amya4295 wrote:

So to understand this correctly, if I don't ship with tracking, which 90% of the time I don't because of Canada Posts astronomical rates to the U.S, Ebay will judge me based on the feedback question presented to buyers "did your item arrive by a certain date". The concern is, many of my feedback come weeks after an item has been received. How is that buyer supposed to remember if it arrived by a specific date. Many U.S buyers think that shipping from Canada takes way too long as they are comparing it to U.S shipments.My listings clearly state that I am shipping from Canada and I correspond to each buyer when shipping what the Canada Post standards are. Even stating this, I have customers that contact me after 2 days looking for their goods. When it comes time for them to leave feedback, i'm concerned that will be on their mind. With no tracking to defend ourselves we are basically relying on the whim of buyers to remember if the goods were on time or not. That concerns me especially since many of my buyers are newbies with under 20-50 feedback and don't fully understand cross border purchases and truthfully many are surprised that they even bought an item form a Canadian seller! Because I so rarely ship with tracking and the allowable defect rate % has been significantly reduced, it could impact many Canadian sellers swiftly and remove our TRS status in short order. Am I missing something? Are we protected in anyway from mindless clicking on "no the item did not arrive on time"? 

Hi amya4295

We believe this is a much better system than a completely subjective question about rating the shipping cost and shipping time.

For sellers who use tracking, it is fantastic.

For sellers who don't or can't use tracking, this is a much more objective question for us to use. We believe this will work out much better for Canadian sellers, since the delivery estimate is based on real cross border data, and not on the buyer's perception of when they think it should arrive.

Just a minute. Real cross border data?  For years eBay Canada said that delivery time estimates were provided by Canada Post for each of their services and eBay Canada had to use those estimates as required by Canada Post. We were told they could not be changed and to use handling time to pad the estimate.

As far as I know, the only eBay.ca shipping services where eBay.ca uses "real cross border data" are the Flat Rate generic shipping services eBay provides - economy, expedited and express.

As for using handling time, years ago eBay 1 day handling time one of the requirements for getting Global TRS. Is that still in effect? If so, the suggestion for padding handling time into delivery estimate will disqualify a seller from TRS.

I always thought the suggestion to use handling time to increase delivery estimates was absurd. Using a workaround to fix a problem should not be done. Fix the estimates and solve the problem correctly.

Last, eBay should provide a table of the delivery times estimates used for each Canad Post service as well as the generic services. I had to create temp listings and change the service and country in the listing to see what delivery estimates eBay has and compile a table of the results.

This new seller rating may work for ebay.com USA sellers using USPS but it does not fit eBay.ca Canada sellers using Canada Post services.

Hi pocomo,

It once was true that the shown delivery estimates came from Canada Post data. For about 1-2 years now, for the Canada-USA channel we have slightly tighter estimates based on actual cross border data from real eBay shipments. eBay.com has even tighter estimates domestically because of their more granular shipping zones, something we don't yet have in Canada but are actively working to get.

1 day handling time was never a requirement for Global TRS. This was only for US TRS, and Canadian sellers are exempt from it. I agree it isn't the best solution to pad your shipping estimates with your handling time, but until we can get better shipping zoning in the system, that's really the best solution to safeguard your performance rating.

The delivery estimates as they are shown to the buyer are visible when choosing a flat rate service. For calculated shipping, providing such a matrix would be impossible (or at least, very hard) because the estimates depends 100% on the buyer location.

I have been monitoring the eBay delivery estimates for 2+ to 3 years now for Flat Rate shipping for the generic shipping options and the Canada Post options (Lettermail, Letterpost USA and Int'l, Light Packet USA and Int'l, Small Packet Air USA and Int'l).

I have them placed in a table I made and I have never had to change the estimates I put in years ago. I started this table when delivery estimates were introduced on ebay.ca (I surprised you that they were implemented on eBay with that post in a weekly session if you remember). I even sent you a message about Tracked Packet have the same delivery estimate for all countries and that it was not even a valid delivery estimate.

Perhaps calculated shipping has evolving delivery estimates but not Flat Rate delivery estimates.

Because of my "study" of estimated delivery times for different services, I concluded that eBay generic shipping option standard had the best estimated dates over using name Canada Post services (Light Packet, Small Packet). Under standard shipping, more countries have estimates and are longer for USA and most other countries. So I was able to avoid padding my handling time from 1 day to have longer times but even then, a simple postal delay beyond my control would put me past the estimate easily.

One side effect of using the eBay generic standard service versus a Canada Post service was to the USA. A named service like Light Packet considers Puerto Rico (and other USA possessions served by USPS) as part of the USA and gives the USA rate for Light Packet. Using generic service considers Puerto Rico to be international and not part of the USA. So I show the higher International shipping cost in my listings for Puerto Rico. Annoying because I had sales to Puerto Rico before and none since I went to generic shipping..

As for 1 day handling time, it was a requirement years ago when the TRS was dropped from $3,000 sales to $1,000 sales. I had the sales amount with the $1,000 yearly amount and needed to just change from 3 day handling to 1 day and change my return policy to 14 days from 7 days to quality for TRS when the requirements changed.

1 day handling may not be required today so my recollection is not important.

Message 101 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

According to the .ca update -

"When there's no tracking information available and no response from the buyer, the transaction will not be included in the on-time shipping calculation"

On .com the statement is slightly different - "When there's no tracking information available and no response from the buyer, the transaction will not be included in the on-time shipping calculation and will not be considered on-time or late since there’s no information available."

Does that mean that if I have 100 buyers and only 46 of them answer the question, my on time percentage will be based out of 46 or out of 100?  If the answer is 45 then that is a huge problem.

If 3 buyers out of 46 who replied said their item arrived late my percentage would be about 6.5%

If 3 buyers out of 100 buyers said their item arrived late, my percentage would be around 3%.

Huge difference.

In the last year, about 46% of my buyers left feedback so it isn't unreasonable to suggest that 46% or less of my buyers will answer that question.

That's a great question which I am happy to answer.

Those transactions where the buyer doesn't give an answer to the on time shipping question will not be counted in the percentage of on time transactions.

'm still not certain of the answer so I'll try asking a different way.

In my example above...if I have 3 buyers who said that they had late delivery, would the percentage be based on the total number of customers that I had in that evaluation period or would it be based on the 46 transactions that either had tracking or replied to the question in feedback.  In other words, would my on time percentage be 6.5% or 3%?

6.5%

Defects, feedbacks etc have always been subjective but at least they were based on total transactions. How can it possibly be a fair measurement to base a sellers selling ability on such a small portion of replies? 

In the last year out of 461 sales, only 211 buyers left feedback. Some of those buyers didn't check off the dsr's so I'm sure that some will not answer the shipping question. That will mean that the percentage will be based on an even lower amount than what I gave. About 180 buyers filled out the DSR portion so it is possible that only 180 out of 461 buyers would answer that question...just 40 % of my total buyers.

But to be fair, I do ship some things with tracking so 45% is probably closer to the true number that ebay will be judging on. Is that reasonable?

Message 102 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

@mjwl2006 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Yes, the estimates depend 100 percent on buyer location: so does the price. How can it possibly be more difficult to include an actual correct assessment. Expedited within my zone (yes, there are regions in Canada too, that's how pricing is determined) is within ONE business day. Period. One. Nowhere else will get it overnight. ebay has to know that if they know it is within the zone pricing for it. 

Actually, not at all. It may be hard to believe but rating and delivery estimates are completely separated and don't interact with one another. Pricing is provided via Pitney Bowes and represents a pretty sizeable amount of data to move around in real time. Delivery estimates are a completely separate thing that lives on eBay. I agree with you 100% that it's feasible to think that if we have one, we also have the other but to enable this would represent a considerable amount of work, which (same story) we have yet to find resources for.

Okay. Now, again, Raphael: I respect that you alone are facing this firing squad but, if ebay is aware that buyers in remote locations are  given incorrect Calculated postage Expedited Parcel delivery standards right on the item listing they are purchasing even after they enter their own postal code, how is ebay going to compensate me as a seller for defects that I did not earn if the buyer is being asked to grade my service against a standard which is known to be erroneous? 

Where did I say we knowingly had incorrect delivery estimates shown to buyers? That would be really bad. Good thing I didn't say it 🙂 If you re-read my post, all I'm saying is that we can't count on the current iteration of calculated shipping rates to also power accurate delivery estimates based on buyer location. They are two separate things.

The current delivery estimates shown to buyers when they look at Canadian items, although not exact, are totally acceptable. They are, however, just that: estimates.

Message 103 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

"6.5%"

OMG. 

So, this means eBay will be basing my performance not on all my buyers' experience with me, but only on that smaller sub-set of buyers who leave FB?  

Logically then, the smaller that FB number gets (as it has been doing for the past 2 years), the bigger the risk of falling on a "late delivery" landmine.  

(I have always been of the view that those buyers who don't leave FB are satisfied, otherwise I'd hear from them one way or the other). 

Message 104 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Those transactions where the buyer doesn't give an answer to the on time shipping question will not be counted in the percentage of on time transactions.

I'm not sure I understand at all what you are saying in response to 'pj's' question. 

To ask it another way, is our allowable "late rate" going to be based on the total number of transactions during the evaluation (which is a year for little sellers like me), or the total number of buyers actually leaving feedback?

So, if I have 200 transactions in a year, but only 100 buyers leave FB, which number will be used to calculate my "late rate"?

'pj' is absolutely right -- this is a crucial distinction! 

The On Time Shipping metric will not use data from transactions where there was no tracking AND the buyer did not respond to the shipping question. To use your example, we would only count your percentage based on the 100 transactions where your buyer responded to that question.

To be even more precise, if a buyer left FB but did not answer the shipping question (ie. left it blank), that transaction would not be used in calculating the On Time Shipping rate.

@rose-dee wrote:
BTW Raphael, what kind of items are you selling that you get over 90% buyer FB?  Lunar real estate perhaps? Holy cats, I want in on it!  Woman LOL

I thought my buyers were amongst the "nicest" on eBay, but I'm lucky to get 60% nowadays.  

I don't sell nearly as much as you do, it could just be that.

Message 105 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

I'm not sure I understand at all what you are saying in response to 'pj's' question. 

To ask it another way, is our allowable "late rate" going to be based on the total number of transactions during the evaluation (which is a year for little sellers like me), or the total number of buyers actually leaving feedback?

So, if I have 200 transactions in a year, but only 100 buyers leave FB, which number will be used to calculate my "late rate"?

The On Time Shipping metric will not use data from transactions where there was no tracking AND the buyer did not respond to the shipping question. To use your example, we would only count your percentage based on the 100 transactions where your buyer responded to that question.

To be even more precise, if a buyer left FB but did not answer the shipping question (ie. left it blank), that transaction would not be used in calculating the On Time Shipping rate.

@rose-dee wrote:
BTW Raphael, what kind of items are you selling that you get over 90% buyer FB?  Lunar real estate perhaps? Holy cats, I want in on it!  Woman LOL

I thought my buyers were amongst the "nicest" on eBay, but I'm lucky to get 60% nowadays.  

Are you really selling, say your items, or eBay bought and paid for items for test selling, and do you care about making a profit?

Message 106 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
Defects, feedbacks etc have always been subjective but at least they were based on total transactions. How can it possibly be a fair measurement to base a sellers selling ability on such a small portion of replies? 

In the last year out of 461 sales, only 211 buyers left feedback. Some of those buyers didn't check off the dsr's so I'm sure that some will not answer the shipping question. That will mean that the percentage will be based on an even lower amount than what I gave. About 180 buyers filled out the DSR portion so it is possible that only 180 out of 461 buyers would answer that question...just 40 % of my total buyers.

But to be fair, I do ship some things with tracking so 45% is probably closer to the true number that ebay will be judging on. Is that reasonable?

It's the fairest we can be. When a buyer doesn't answer that question, should we assume it was not on time? Should we assume that it was? There is no way to know. It's better to not count that transaction in the metric if we're going to be both fair to those who meet it and work to get data we can rely on.

Message 107 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

@pocomocomputing wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

Are you really selling, say your items, or eBay bought and paid for items for test selling, and do you care about making a profit?

Yes I am really selling, my own items, and of course I care about profit. Most eBay employees use the site just like "real" members.

Message 108 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Folks, I have to leave for now. I know this isn't crazy pleasant for many of you but nonetheless, thank you for taking the time to come here and discuss this. Hope you all have a nice weekend.

Message 109 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Please keep in mind that as a Canadian seller, you get your 20% FVF on all your items whether you make TRS on eBay.com or globally.

Of course I'm aware of this, Raphael, but if what you have said earlier is accurate (that the "late rate" will be based on the number of buyers actually leaving FB, and not total transactions over an evaluation period), I calculate, at my current buyer FB rate (about 60% recently) and my current yearly transaction total, that I will only be able to absorb 3 -- yes, three -- late shipping time mishaps in one year before I lose both of the TRS standards I now hold. 

That's not much leeway for a seller who has been selling successfully (and according to all eBay's rules) for over 7 years.  

Honestly, sellers like 'pj', 'mjwl' and myself, despite our small volumes, are precisely the ones I would think a smart eBay would want to encourage and enable to keep selling here.  We give buyers a great experience and keep them coming back to eBay, whether to us or to other sellers.  

We are the sorts of sellers eBay is going to lose first as a result of these policies, whether we go of our own accord or get shunted to the bottom of the last page of searches.  

Meanwhile, all sorts of shenanigans and goings-on will start to happen again, now that the defect system has been effectively decimated.  As much as I feared the old defect system, I recognized that it did keep bad sellers from running amok. 

I'm just flabbergasted, no actually, aghast, that eBay gave nary a nod to Canadians' particular issues around shipping in this Update. 

Message 110 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

"It's the fairest we can be. When a buyer doesn't answer that question, should we assume it was not on time?"

No, that's exactly the point!  EBay should assume everything about the transaction was at least acceptable, if not very satisfactory, if the buyer leaves no FB or doesn't answer the question.  You know, in law there is a precept that absence of response is consent.  I wish eBay had considered that in Canadians' situation. 

"It's better to not count that transaction in the metric if we're going to be both fair to those who meet it and work to get data we can rely on."

But didn't eBay realize that the lower the buyer response, the heavier the burden would be on the seller to meet the acceptable percentage?  This is a classic example of bias.  Sellers with big volumes, or who happen to have a lot of buyers that leave FB, or happen to be able to afford tracking, or happen to be lucky with postal shipments, or happen to lucky with customs or weather delays, etc. etc. etc. will be at far less risk.  

This policy doesn't measure seller performance, it measures good/bad luck.  And unluckily for us Canadians, most of us can't obviate the worst of the risk of these metrics by using tracked shipping. 

Sauve qui peut.....! 

Message 111 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Raphael, when you return (tomorrow?), I would still appreciate a response to my suggestion of removing the ability of a buyer to respond to the shipping time question if a Canadian seller has provided free shipping.  I think this would be a truly fair nod to the particular shipping problems we Canadians face in light of the new policies. 

This would save a whole legion of Canadian sellers from disaster and encourage more free shipping in the same stroke.  

Is there no possible way to "blank out" The Question for Canadian sellers' items where free shipping is concerned?  Please don't tell me eBay programmers can't do this -- they did it for "Shipping Time" and "Communication" DSRs.  

Message 112 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

What are you doing to address your cash grab global shipping, when buying multiple items from the same seller. Paying insanely high rates for shipping and import fees. What's even more a slap in the face it's all packaged and sent in ONE box.

I've been burnt once and it will NEVER happen again that i purchase multiple items from the same seller. As far as i am concerned Canada should be exempt from the GSP program. We are paying on items that are exempt from import fees, also your package pirates Pitney Bowes love repacking items and expose them to damage, as they make the boxes smaller and lighter by removing excess weight!

But like always i don't imagine we will hear anything on this just how much the sellers love it, even though you automatically opt them into this "scam" program.

Message 113 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

I imagine since a seller is in GSP from the USA he's immune from SLOW shipping times. Since as you put it he ships it to pitney bowes, so he did his job as a seller!

You've clearly not implemented a fair system for regular sellers not in the USA with these ridiculous purposed ratings! What irks me even more is the GSP shipping rates are invisible. I know for a fact buyers are being ripped off left and right from the so called "shipping cost".

How can Canadians or any other country see actual shipping costs from a GSP seller when it's hidden. How can you have a one way system for one country and different set of rules for another. If i charge $20 shipping and ends up being $12 i open myself up to a bad rating. Yet a GSP seller same scenario is all good in your eyes. Since we can't see what the actual postage paid was.

As an example i got an imac $45 shipping which is fair, but an imac that was actually closer to my location was $100 more for shipping. If i paid that overpriced rate i can't complain about the shipping cost or time because low and behold it's a GSP seller.

This is FAIR?

Message 114 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Good evening,

Most things you currently offer to Canadian sellers are behind what the us sellers are getting.  It was funny for a short time but at the 20 year point, when I click on view paypal transaction (or anyone of numerous other links and features) it does not work.  Never has, never will I am sure.

So, hopefully (and when I say hopefully it is with an immeasurably low amount of hope I can expect = none) there has been some improvement in ebays ability to predict how long an item will take to arrive.  I gave an estimate today to someone (you have permission if you need it to check my messages for today) and the shipping time will be 17 to 35 days...so it WILL be 35 days. 

What always makes me laugh is when I get the email telling me how you protected me.  You are protecting me from you.  People can't ask a question about their item without it being a strike against me IF they use your method of contact...seems innocent enough and most people say sorry for it after but when they are looking to ask about an item that has been 5 weeks in transit and they click ask seller a question>my item has not arrived THEY are expecting that it will just ask me a question, but WE both know that is actually when the sodo machine starts up and comes knocking on my door.  Why the protection makes me laugh is protecting me from people starting a claim for items not arrived too early.  CANADA post says 8 weeks international and 3 weeks to the US and 2 weeks domestically before they even consider a claim.  If you were REALLY protecting me, I wouldn't hear about these at all.  So to say "Hey, we stopped the prod on these few " when you ARE the prod...it is mind blowing.

To put that requirement to me as a Canadian seller differently that you do to say sellers in China is offensive, and I am aware there are at least a few serious benefits to listing from there over listing from here to begin with. 

The image I project here on ebay is the same I do for people face to face in my daily life.  I take time and care with every item and go as far as possible to make everyone happy.  It would be nice for a change if this could be in co-operation with you or in partnership with you rather than in spite of you.  Paypal recently made a few changes that actually didn't totally blow, maybe give that a try?  I don't know but for certain, it has been a LOOOONG time since I have been able to say anything nice about ebay.  It has been nice recently to say a few good things about paypal.  They still have a ways to go to actually make it all up, but at least they are heading the right way for a change.  Hoping to remain viable in the market as it changes and reinvents itself so much faster than it ever did.

I expect little really and I am certain to get it, so good day for me afterall.

Thank you for your time

Kim

Message 115 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

The part of this that makes me laugh is that customs only gets applied to items over a certain amount.  I have bought items up to $200 that have had none applied and I am certain that is over what is "allowed".  Just because someone pays $1000 for a marble or something hardly makes it worth more than the materials it is made from.  Anyway, where does the (millions?) paid in duties that are not due anywhere go?  I have a feeling it is ebay.  They offer GSP from overseas sellers too I see now.  It may be here soon now as it fits into this scheme of needing the tracking on items that everyone is generally too cheap to pay the full rate Canada post charges us in the first place.

Also, saying ebay charges 10% of the shipping charge as a way to stop sellers from selling items for $1 and then charging $100 shipping to make up for it is a pretty weak excuse to steal 10% of the shipping cost from honest sellers.  If I charge that amount on top of shipping so that I am only charging what I pay to have a persons item delivered (paying the materials fees myself as I do) I get bad feedback because they see a stamp that says 10% less.  It is just their way of licking another 10% off the top of your (read YOUR)...money.

I don't know if I have ever had as many bad feelings towards one thing in my life...and that is saying something.

Message 116 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

I guess Canadian sellers should start implementing an outrageous "handling fee" charge, to recoup some money... Can't see Ebay minding as they get yet another cut on a charge..

I pretty much use Ebay as a last resort selling now if i can't sell something locally. Way to much shenanigans now, and GSP leaves a poor taste in my mouth.

Message 117 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Will there be a comment above or below the shipping question such as:

Please be aware that if you anwer no, the seller will receive a defect and may no longer be able to sell on Ebay!

If not, it is all a complete set up for failure!

Message 118 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sorry I am late on the bandwagon here, and missed Raphael's answering time! 

I applaud and give him kudos for stepping in the line of fire with us bewildered Canadian sellers - I was actually surprised to see him return to the thread after D-Day 1, and am gaining respect for the front man :).

Having said that, I think what we as Canadian sellers need, is a no- nonsense, no-play-around on words low down on what it means to us, having, as Canadian sellers a whole different horse-of-a-different colour Postal system and services - 

What- Will - Get- Us- Barred- From - Ebay -Sellling -As - A- Canadian - Seller- With- These- New- "Rules".

THAT is my main question - you by know know the Update semantics and the Canadian concerns so if you could take a few minutes?

Bullet point is best.  We are stressed, for many this is our lively hood, our bacon & butter, our life - I am supporting an alzheimers mom in a pricey home and 7 year old special needs child with my business, if you need to hear it to get you to listen.  Yes, I have an amazing, MBA educated supportive spouse who would get us by if need be - BUT my children and their standard of living is of upward importance to me - I am just one seller in the jist of things, but according to my online research, there are more than 1, 000, 000 Canadian sellers out there!  And I am a TRA Powerseller - and a major blogger (for sellers) and am important to Ebay, I believe!  (ok, chuffed chest settling down now - my babies' welfare got me passionate).  Anyway - please speak to the uppers for us Canadians! (ESPECIALLY the guy/s who decided delivery times were more pertinent that seller service - what a business savvy individual?? smh

SO - are you saying that the 1 million plus Canadian Ebay sellers are not in danger?  Not in danger of getting the boot due to (and get the logistics of this) the moment the timely dispatched parcels leave our hands into that of others (Canada Postal workers and then of USPS postal workers once border crossing) and all control is lost to us as to whether it is delivered on time or not?

So sorry, that is bat-sh*t crazy to me, I know it obviously is no fault at all to Raphael - he has the bravery to dredge the hostile trenches here -- but, since the Official Update is already released, there is no need for word play - we need the Straight Up Dope - 

Pretend we are babies, and soothe us with straight answers, please!!!!!!  😞 

Message 119 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for all the typos guys - my fingers were flying and eBay forums will only allow "one edit", so got a word or two corrected, and then got frozen out ----- eBay's control is insane!!

Message 120 of 298
latest reply