What reason do I pick for a refund due to an unclaimed package?

I am refunding a buyer that did not claim a package and it came back unclaimed - return to sender. This went to a USA buyer. He has not asked for a return or refund. I just want to refund all his money asap because I  now have the item and from what I can see I have his money. When I look at the refund form no option is there for a reason as unclaimed package. What should I pick as the reason?

I did message the buyer and no reply yet. However I just want to refund and then sadly block him. I don't want to sell to a buyer that doesn't pick up their parcels.  I don't want to ship again to this buyer.

Thanks for any help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

If the item was Undeliverable, you don't owe him a penny.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?....

Exclusions and special coverage when the buyer doesn't receive an item

Items collected by a third party on behalf of the buyer
 Not covered

The buyer arranged their own shipping method, such as a courier pickup
 Not covered

The buyer provided an invalid or incorrect address at checkout
 Not covered

You may want to be a nice guy, but take your time.

One possible reason it came back is that the whole transaction was a scam based on a stolen credit card.

Wait for the buyer to ask for a refund, then have him open an eBay dispute.

Only then should  you refund.

And yes, block him. Flake or fraud, you need to cover yourself.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

If tracking shows that the  package was unclaimed the buyer loses their buyer protection. But since you received the item back you should either refund in full or refund less the original shipping cost.  If you want to refund in full go to sellers hub/ all orders. There is a dropdown arrow next to that transaction which you can use to cancel using problem with address as the reason. You will be credited your sellers fee except for the .30 transaction fee.

If you want to refund and hold back the shipping use that same arrow dropdown and click on send refund.  Fill in the amount and the reason for the refund.    You will not receive your fees back for the partial refund.

I'm not sure if there is an option "undeliverable"? But I would wait and not be so quick to refund something when the buyer hasn't requested it and is being silent. Keep in mind if you do refund you shouldn't be out the shipping money it cost you to send it (maybe even return shipping?) especially if the reason was they just didn't pick it up.

Wait a bit and see if they do respond, there are many possible reasons maybe they are/were sick and couldn't get out to pick it up (probably not but possible), if there was duty or customs they didn't want to pay, sometimes they even change their minds and write Return to Sender and put it back in the mail (I had this happen). If I were you I would wait a bit, you have it back safely in your possession, I don't think there is an immediate  rush and you can still block them from future orders. 

Cancel post

Have you considered that your buyer may have died (item not claimed, no message responses, no INR claim) and their famly knows nothing of your transaction.

In November 2021, I went to the US to pick up my mail and there was a parcel that was returned June 2020 (17 months ago).  The buyer never contacted me nor has he purchased anything else on ebay since June 2020, who knows he might had died.  Unless the buyer contacts you, I wouldn't do anything.