CANADA POST

fixit7757
Community Member

A package came today, as I approached the mailbox, a third of the 8X10 bubble envelope was hanging limp out of the mailbox. It was empty. It's supposed to contain 3 lens filters that I purchased from Ebay (from a US seller). I went to the post office to report it, I was given the customer service. So I called --two times, the summary of the run about was that they can't do anything. I asked why one would deliver a package, obviously open and empty. The answer was, they have to --period. I'm an upbeat person, I was polite, I gave no one a hard time  and I know that in this case, the tracking number means nothing. I contacted the seller, he replied he'd call eBay. It's my first case with eBay. This is the first time it happened to me -- the package was undamaged and clearly cut open, I have had packages delivered in front of my door before that cost hundred of dollars. I figure that maybe, if the items were in a box and not in a semi transparent envelope, they could have made it here. Someone in Canada Post is into photography, too (?)

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

CANADA POST

If the parcel was insured it is the responsibility of the seller to file an insurance claim. 

First of all... you must file a claim with eBay.....significantly not as described.... Seller will respond  and eventually you should get back your money....

putting lenses in an envelope does not sound like appropriate packaging for a breakable item....

If the package was opened in transit  then Canada Post or customs should perhaps have made note of that  and a sticker on the envelope should have indicated this.

For all you know the envelope was opened after it was placed in your mailbox

Do not throw away anything... Take many photographs  and be ready to defend your position....

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

CANADA POST

If the package was opened by customs (which lately tends to happen a lot) it will have a yellow tape across stating “Opened for customs purposes” or something like that. They do cut the packages open. Cumos55 is right, open a case. As amiable you may be you still did not get your purchase and some action on your part is required. I hope the package was insured, I know it is optional with USPS but number of other companies provide shipping insurance too and most serious sellers use this option. Good luck.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

CANADA POST

The tracking number tells the seller and the shipper (USPS/CanadaPost) that the package was delivered. Which is all it promises to do.

Canada Post* does not insure items shipped from the USA. USPS does, but it is the seller who buys the insurance (and collects if the item is damaged or not delivered).

So there is no reason for any buyer to ask for Delivery Confirmation/tracking or for insurance. These protect the seller. There is every reason for the seller to purchase these and of course the cost is passed on to the buyer.

You have done your job.

You informed the seller of the problem.

You informed the Post Office of the problem (or did you? Were you at a Post Office or at a postal outlet in the local drug store? The latter will not be able to help you; go to the actual Postal Station.)

You can help the seller by taking pictures and by holding on to the damaged packaging. These may be requested by the postal inspectors.

The seller has two jobs now.

He should refund your entire payment, with no further ado.

He should file an insurance claim with USPS or whatever insurer he dealt with.

If he does not refund you within 40 days of your original purchase, you should start an Item Not As Described dispute and Paypal will refund you before going after the seller for their repayment.

You have 60 days to leave feedback. Allow the seller time to complete the transaction before leaving it.

*It is important to report this kind of problem to CP, however, because without reports they would not know if one of their employees (unlikely) or a contractor (only slightly more likely) or some random thief is causing the problem or that the problem is not a one off, but part of a series of thefts.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply