How Do you QUIT?

lovebuguniverse
Community Member
Hi everyone,
I've decided after only a year of selling here that I don't want to continue. I have a jewelry collection on Etsy and I feel like I've found my calling in regards to what I want to focus my attention on. People have really responded to my work over there and I am actually making more there then here. I also want to start classes in Silversmith and the drag of getting eBay packages together (especially with my inventory being at another location) is making me sick.

I have tons of inventory left but will not be ordering new products and want to sell off everything and move on.

What is the best way to do this? Should I make a note that I am closing and will be gone when everything is sold. Do I say nothing to customers?

Do I put everything on sale like a Brick and Mortar?

Thanks so much!
Justine
Justine
Love Bug Universe
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: How Do you QUIT?

It's your choice, really - you can just delete all of your listings if you want and then close your store. (You might want to move your inventory over to ET instead of selling it off here.) Remember to unsubscribe from all ebay extras in your seller preferences.

That way, your ebay ID stays open if you ever want to resurrect it.

You can also call ebay on the Live Help icon on page 1 and ask that your seller account be taken down or that your account be closed. -------------------------------------------------------------------

"To be nobody-but-yourself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can ever fight; and never stop fighting." -- e.e. cummings

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

lovebuguniverse
Community Member
Thanks for the reply.

I have a LOT of inventory so I don't want to leave abruptly. I have to sell it here still. But I'm not sure if I should be honest with subscribers etc. to make sure they know that once things are gone, I'm gone.

It could take a year to sell the rest of this stuff off. WHO KNOWS! I wish it could be done today but financially I have to sell the rest.
Justine
Love Bug Universe
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

You have 331 listings.

You could put 250 listings on sale - using the Markdown manager - 25% off to start increasing to 50% later on for the slow movers.

I would suggest you give 25% off (or whatever percentage you feel comfortable with) fpor a period of 45 days (the maximum allowed with Markdown) if your store listings are GTC. Otherwise 30 days is the most you can do.

Alternatively, you may wish to discount your shipping charge substantially (below your out-of-pocket cost) to reduce your inventory.

Good Luck.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

ds2286
Community Member
If you want to get rid of it bad enough, offer it to a brick & mortar store and see if they are interested. To sell it this way you would likely have to sell it below cost. It would be quick and easy though.

Another option is to sell it here but to sell it in big wholesale type lots.

If you are making more money spending your time elsewhere and here is making you sick. You may be better off taking a bit of a loss and moving on.

What is you store name on etsy?
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

lovebuguniverse
Community Member
Thank you Pierre!

Well I wouldn't say it's making me sick but I'm thinking of my long term goals and what I want to do with my life and it's not this I guess. You have both given me some great ideas.

My etsy username is PlumeAdore.

I will look into the brick mortar idea, there is a store nearby that may want it!
Justine
Love Bug Universe
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

"You may be better off taking a bit of a loss and moving on. "

That's another way to do it. I regularly purchase inventory from competitors going out of business. However, let's be honest, in such circumstances, the buyer has the advantage and generally dictates the terms and the price (generally 10% to 25% of retail price depending on product, condition, competition and current market.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Justine,

When I want to get everything in my store on sale, such as I have now, I just upgrade to a Premium Store and am able to put 2500 listings on sale in one setting. Once the sales are all started on go back down to my Basic Store subscription. It costs me a small amount of change to do this for a day!

Glad you have found what you want to do....then it's not work at all!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

1) maybe your mom/sister/friend may be interested to take over for a while and once you decide the calling is real, they could have it for good.

2) You may sell entire inventory + name + eBay ID + customers + marketing plan, sources, everything together in one package. Maybe one of your subscribers would like to take over. Ask them.

My wife is into the stuff you sell, maybe she is also even your customers. I will ask her if she'd be interested to acquire your eBay business. We already live from mail order anyway, I don't mind her having a little gig on her own that she'd enjoy.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I just upgrade to a Premium Store and am able to put 2500 listings on sale in one setting.

Mom, ingenous!!!

I knew eBay prorates the subscription, knew that higher level can put more on sale, just did not put 2+2 together like you did.

:-x
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

lovebuguniverse
Community Member
I guess I will just put all on sale for now. Be sure to message me if your wife wants to do my business.

It was very profitable at a time, but I guess my lack of interest has been slowing sales down lol.

I like your idea about someone taking it over in the meantime.. I will figure out how that could work!
Justine
Love Bug Universe
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hi lovebug, I asked her and she does not want. She is not as entrepreneurial as we are 🙂

But this is what you may do ... put down the numbers from your last 3 months (or best 3 months), total cost of goods, total sale revenues, total profits, etc. Add inventory levels, etc.

Do not disclose your sources or numbers for particular items. Make auction for your entire business explaining why are you quitting. Winner get's entire disclosure including your sources and cost for particular items.

Pierre, buying the business is NOT buying an inventory. I have a database of 3-5000 former customer names. Never used this yet, but some mailorder books say that "the list" is the most important thing your business owns. Another pouint is that on the paper my current inventory is worth 14k according to my latest tax statement, I use cost of goods method). I will make $40k sales with this inventory (including postage, etc). With your formula of 25-50% of inventory, I should be able to buy business like mine for 3.5 - 7k ? This is less than my current monthly revenue.

Of course you were talking about guys going "out of business", bankrupt businesses, businesses so heavily in debt they cannot pay their employees and lenders interest. These can be bought for small fraction, actually to be more precise, my former employer has bought a company with 20-30 employees for a symbolic price of 1 penny. They did not care about the company itself, they just wanted to take over their customers (aka "the list").
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi dipmicro,

Upgrading and then downgrading afterwards works perfectly for me. It enables me to do all of my work at one time.

And, like you said...eBay prorates the subscription so...easily done!

Susan
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

"buying the business is NOT buying an inventory'

Of course not.

The original question raised had to do with disposing of current inventory.

Selling an online business is not that easy as eBay will not allow transfer of a user ID except in case of sale of control of a corporation if user ID was owned by corporation.

List of past customers could be valuable if it is up-to-date and represents real potential buyers for current inventory. Great if the business has a large ratio of repeat customers (like collectors) and basically meaningless if the business is based on "one-time customers" (selling wedding dresses for example!) or the reputation and industry knowledge of the seller. Each case if differenty and will be valued accordingly.

Valuing inventory is always tricky as so many factors are involved. "Cost of Goods" value is OK in many instances but not always.
In some instances, the remaining inventory may have a cost of $1,000 for example but is made of the stuff that did not sell despite much marketing/sales effort to liquidate it. Inventory should be valued at the lesser of "cost" or "market value' (generally determined at the wholesale or liquidation level (how much would a willing buyer pay for it today to buy it all?))
Message 14 of 14
latest reply