People can't bid ?

Don't understand those people bidding 10$ to 20$ more than the previous bid.Why people don.t just bid 1-2$ more ? It's so stupid I even suspect sellers to create fake accounts for increased their items prices.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

People can't bid ?

Don't understand those people bidding 10$ to 20$ more than the previous bid.Why people don.t just bid 1-2$ more ?

They are using Proxy Bidding and bidding the maximum price they want to pay for the item  Nothing wrong with doing so. Many dont want to have to keep bidding on an item over and over.  They bid their maximum and then let it play through At times they may get out bid and decide they will pay more and reenter a new Proxy price

with proxy the price will only raise one bidding increment at a time over the previous bid

I'm not buying on ebay right now  but when I did, I bid the maximum I was willing to pay. If I was out bid I knew it was not meant to be, If I got it for my maximum bid I was fine with it,   a bonus if I got it for under what I bid

Some sellers do create fake accounts but it's a very foolish thing to do if caught and people do get caught  Not all but many do

Some do create new accounts after being caught  but people who do create accounts to do in both scenerios are in the minority here  Most sellers would not even consider doing that

weavers

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

People can't bid ?

EBay uses proxy bidding.

The high bidder understands this and is bidding to win with the least effort.

Here's how it works.

An item is listed with an openin bid of $5.

You like it and bid $6. It opens to you at $5.

I like it and bid $50. It is now mine at $7. One increment higher than your high bid.

You still want it and bid $7. The proxy bid I left moves the price to $8. Still mine.

You still want it and bid $10. The proxy bid I left moves the price to $11. Still mine.

You still want it and bid $12. The proxy bid I left moves the price to $13. Still mine.

You still want it and bid $14. The proxy bid I left moves the price to $15. Still mine.

Fred wants it and comes in with a bid of $25. The price moves to $26, but still mine. (There's your $10 bid)

You can bid and bid and bid, but until you bid $51, I still win.

And remember I bid only once and bid my maximum.

No effort. No tension or frustration.

If I win at anything less than my maximum, I not only have the item, but also bragging rights for snagging it below what I considered its true value.

If you win at more than my maximum, I get the satisfaction of knowing that you paid 'too much".

The winning bid is set by the underbidder. Not by the time or the frequency of bidding.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

People can't bid ?

@reallynicestamps wrote:

EBay uses proxy bidding.

The high bidder understands this and is bidding to win with the least effort.

With Proxy Bidding being the status quo of auction winners, I must then ask: What is the point of offering manual bidding anymore?

Because if only proxy bidders win, the options to manually bid is a carrot on a stick, a false premise that you have any chance if you aren't going to proxy bid. The reason I say this is because proxy bidders have the advantage of having the speed of eBay's internal network infrastructure while manual bidders have to depend on their Internet connection, so even if someone does get a request through to eBay's servers within .004 seconds of the auction closing, the proxy bid system will still have the capability of beating it out at 0.003 without the ability to counter.

eBay's auction system is becoming a mirror of the Stock Market with High Frequency Trading: It's all about the milliseconds and anyone who does things without automation or without $10 million on every transaction is damned to fail without an extreme case of luck. I think an apt name for eBay's auction system should be "High Frequency Auctioneering".

This "HFA" system is detrimental to keeping auctions competitive because those with the faster computer/connection or being physically closer to eBay's datacenters have the advantage (like HFT with stock exchanges) have the advantage. Even narrower is that (unlike HFT as stock trading impose a minimum distance from the transaction servers), eBay allows transactions to be initiated by their own systems — there aren't actual people doing these HFA transactions meaning you have milisecond-reaction time from eBay's proxy bidding system.

The only fair thing would be for eBay to impose a delay on any proxy bid transactions, a delay that mirrors that of the standard latency of an average Internet connection combined with a scientific average of human reaction time, or set ALL bids to be proxy bidding systems where you only get to bid the maximum you want to pay and let eBay's system handle the back and forth bidding exclusively (i.e. everyone puts in a tender and the highest tender wins).

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

People can't bid ?

Because many people can't understand proxy bidding.

Or they are nervous and prefer to bid a little at a time.

Or they like to get caught up in the thrill of the auction action.

I've been involved with a public, called, catalogued, auction for over 30 years. We have floor bidders, mail bidders, (and fax and email), telephone bidders, bidding agents, and online bidders.

Sometimes a floor bidder will be very upset because he thinks an employee is bidding against him, although that bidder is actually holding a landline telephone and reporting bids from some guy in Australia -- or at his office.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

People can't bid ?

And of course the manual bidder can be the winner.

He just has to bid higher than the proxy bidder.

High bid wins.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

People can't bid ?

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Because many people can't understand proxy bidding.

Or they are nervous and prefer to bid a little at a time.

Or they like to get caught up in the thrill of the auction action.

I've been involved with a public, called, catalogued, auction for over 30 years. We have floor bidders, mail bidders, (and fax and email), telephone bidders, bidding agents, and online bidders.

Sometimes a floor bidder will be very upset because he thinks an employee is bidding against him, although that bidder is actually holding a landline telephone and reporting bids from some guy in Australia -- or at his office.

and

@femmefan1946 wrote:

And of course the manual bidder can be the winner.

He just has to bid higher than the proxy bidder.

High bid wins.

Though consider:

Real-life proxy bidding still has the in-house proxy bidder agents having the lag of human reaction, this isn't the case with eBay's proxy bidding system where the computer performing the proxy bidding can get under the closing garage door with 10s of miliseconds to spare and there is no reaction time possibility from manual bidders, so in essence manual bidders are forced to overpay  in order to secure the item (thus my $10 million hyperbole comment) so that they're bidding in the range of insanity that obviously everyone else would assume they're crazy.

Real life proxy bidding still requires human intervention, a human who has the same rough frailties as those floor bidders, but eBay's is again is done by computers directly inside eBay's network that even if someone manually bids at 100 miliseconds from auction close, the proxy bidding system can get in at 50-90.

The only real-life analogue to eBay's system would be for the auctioneer to have a sheet of paper with maximum bids and be himself inputting figures into the ledger on behalf of proxy bidders "Automatic bid for $400", "That lady $450", "Automatic bid for $500", "That man $550", "Going once... going twice...." — you'd be bidding against the auctioneer themselves and they can still input into the ledger just before the auction closing: "...Automatic bid for $600 and SOLD to the proxy bidder" — THIS is why eBay's system is toxic in its current form.

eBay's bidding system is less of a "who can outbid others" and more of "who can outbid others with speed to undercut the competition", just like HFT has become at the stock markets where they're pushing the boundaries of nanosecond timing to get the cheapest rate for the highest benefit where the rest of the market can't react to those algorithms. The only difference with HFT is that fairness is imposed by anti-fraud regulation and industry controls, where someone couldn't install a server right in the same rack as the stock market's transaction servers. in eBay's case, perhaps it is the same application server that processes your bid that does the automatic bidding in which case see my previous paragraph.

I don't have qualms with the house having people bidding on behalf of people, but I do have qualms with machines bidding on behalf of people as those machines always have the advantage of speed thus no reaction time being available to you. The true (but not only) resolution for this to make things fair would be for eBay to hire people to act as proxy bidding agents and remove the automated system. The other alternative would be to impose a delay on all automatic bids before they are allowed to be processed, where it is fully possible for an automatic bid to lose due to being too late.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

People can't bid ?

The contortions of people who can't get to grips with the concept of the highest bidder winning are remarkable.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

People can't bid ?

@afantiques wrote:

The contortions of people who can't get to grips with the concept of the highest bidder winning are remarkable.

The problem here is that the "HFA" system as I named it isn't only about highest bidder, it's about speculation and pre-empting other people. Where else does speculation happen? The stock market and as such it has become about speculating about what other people are doing or are going to do. This all leads to an arms race of who can use the fastest technique to get the best deal and the current fastest method is through proxy bidding to be able to undercut the market.

If you're .01 second over the ending, you can't bid, regardless — this is how important timing is on eBay contrary to your point. Yes, you can bid before that to your highest manually but someone with a machine can set theirs even higher through automated means and outrace you.

"Highest bidder winning" implies that there's the ability to react to other bidders. This isn't the case on eBay anymore given this HFA system. HFA is about speculating market trends and so forth and putting in the figures calculated from this speculation to get you the highest bid within the nick of time before someone can see your action and counter you.

What's "remarkable" is how electronic auctions have ultimately made auctions just like the stock market. Physical auctions still have the fairness of needing people interaction. With HFA, it's all machines battling using speculated figure, anyone not using a machine has no chance unless they spend astronomically higher than anyone else.

Use a machine? You have a chance of getting a deal.

Use your hands? Be prepared to bid much higher than the machine-users so everyone thinks you're insane and lets you have the item.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply