E-bay Canada vs. E-bay USA money back guarantee

I logged in to E-bay.ca to buy an item.

When I phoned customer service (1-866-278-1053) about  45 days money back guarantee for an item. that I didn't get via mail.

They check the item number and there was an error.

They checked and said I login to ebay.ca to place my item so they didn't offer  45 days money back guarantee for an item because

I login to ebay.ca to order item there.

So what's the deal I thought there was not difference where you login to place an order for your items, that they will be covered ?

Yet the same seller and item is offered on both ebay.ca and ebay.com.

I was told if I wish to get the 45 days money back guarantee for an item I need to login to ebay.com ?

Can some please tell me what I am suppose to do ?

I am confused.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you purchase something on .com, the claim goes through ebay. If you purchase while shopping on .ca, the claim goes through Paypal. Both handle claims similarly.

You should contact your seller first. They might give you a refund without you having to open a case.  Do not allow them to send the item out again and you will then run out of time to put in a claim.

If things can't be worked out with the seller, you can open a claim here:

http://resolutioncentre.ebay.ca/

I believe that they will transfer you to paypal to open the claim there.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If you purchase something on .com, the claim goes through ebay. If you purchase while shopping on .ca, the claim goes through Paypal. Both handle claims similarly.

You should contact your seller first. They might give you a refund without you having to open a case.  Do not allow them to send the item out again and you will then run out of time to put in a claim.

If things can't be worked out with the seller, you can open a claim here:

http://resolutioncentre.ebay.ca/

I believe that they will transfer you to paypal to open the claim there.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You don't need to phone.

All that will happen is your claim will be slowed down and perhaps never acted on. EBay dot COM is clueless about Canadian buyers.

The system is.

Contact the seller.

If you get no immediate satisfaction (normally the response would be

'return at your own expense for a full refund")  you go to the Customer Support button on the upper left.

Click on Resolution Centre.

Click on 'item is not as described".

You will be instructed to return the item to the seller with Confirmed Delivery.

When you can show that the item is back with the seller, if he does not refund you immediately, Paypal will and then go after him for the money.

That's it.

Almost no human interaction (and confusion and half understood comments) required.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

So the toll free number for customer service for E-bay Canada is same for E-bay USA ?

That is why if I logged in as ebay.ca and not ebay.com . They won't help me in regards to refunds or not received items in the mail etc. if I get ignored by the seller ?

If I need to phone customer service E-bay Canada I have to deal with Pay Pal or what ?

I usually deal with the sellers first. But if are dodgy and never reply to your questions or request, I have to contact customer service.

So do I deal with PayPal for E-bay Canada customer service if ordered items from ebay.ca  ?

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

So the toll free number for customer service for E-bay Canada is same for E-bay USA ?

Yes. There is no specific customer service dept for Canada. Customer service will attempt to help you whether you buy on .com or .ca although some of them do seem to lack common sense knowledge about how things work in reality on either site. However, there is a definite lack of problem solving skills when the situation is specific to .ca. That's why it is often better to ask questions here on the discussion board first.

That is why if I logged in as ebay.ca and not ebay.com . They won't help me in regards to refunds or not received items in the mail etc. if I get ignored by the seller ?

If you haven't received an item or the item is not as described, all customer service can really do regardless of where you purchased the item is to tell you to file a claim at the link that I posted in another post.

The system is set up so that the most common problems are set up to be handled online. Even if you purchased an item while on .com. customer service is not going to give you a refund when you phone them. You must go through the online claims process.

That process always starts on ebay and if the item was purchased while you were shopping on .ca, the claim will be transferred to paypal. That doesn't mean you phone paypal...the transfer is automatic. In other words...as the buyer, you do not do anything different as a .ca buyer than you do as a .com buyer...the system is automatic.

If you do not file an online claim within the required time, then customer service cannot help you regardless of where you live.

The only time you would phone Paypal is if it is a problem directly related to them. You do not phone them for a problem with an ebay seller.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Ebay canada you have to pay to ship back to the seller if the item is not as ordered or damaged lovely as it costs us way more to ship ergo all the "**bleep**" gets sent to canadians (two sellers told me this) as they know it isnt worth the amount to ship it back. Ebay wont cover the shipping back costs so not efficient to buy n ebay if canadian I am finding out the hard way. You might get refunded by the  ebay resolution center but it takes a while and you pay for high shipping back costs through paypal not it is done (sometimes not you still pay shipping) and they too know this about the shipping of bad goods to canadians.We're not really covered by "the money back guarantee then"

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Ebay canada you have to pay to ship back to the seller if the item is not as ordered or damaged

That is an ebay money back guarantee rule..it isn't specifically for ebay Canada. If a product is not as described a good seller will pay for return shipping but there is no way for ebay or Paypal to force them to do that.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply