The ebay site will not work properly for me

Hi all,

I have been having problems navigating virtually all areas of ebay for a couple of months. There is nothing wrong with my computer, I have scanned it for malware, spyware, viruses etc, I have defragged, I have downloaded a new browser, but no matter, still too many problems to believe.

When I connect to the internet, and open the browser (I have ebay.ca as my homepage) it either takes a really long time to load or the error message "this page cannot be displayed" comes up. If I go to any other website instead of ebay the page opens immediately. I have not been having any problems on any other website. If the ebay page won't load and you click on the "fix connection issues" link on the browser it always shows that there are no connection problems. I was using IE 10 and have recently downloaded Google Chrome.

However, the real issues start once I am finally able to get into the site. Links won't load, the page will sit there with the loading symbol turning perpetually, until finally the "page cannot be displayed" error shows up. Every now and then I can get in and get to a couple of pages but that's it.

I have been trying to make a purchase on my other id, I tried for several days, at first I couldn't even get the item page to come up, but when it finally did and I clicked on the buy it now button it repeatedly wouldn't take me to the payment page. Finally one day I just let it keep loading while I went and did some other surfing on a separate page, twenty minutes later I came back and it was still loading and never did. 

It is almost impossible to get my ebay messages to open, I usually just read them through my personal e-mail account. Unfortunately though, I had e-mailed the seller that I was trying to make the purchase from to ask if they offered shipping other than the GSP. I was finally able to see the reply they sent me and was glad to see that they offered USPS regular services. So I was able, after several attempts today using Google Chrome to get the buy it now button to work on the item, but when I tried to send them a message to request an invoice it wouldn't go through, and I got the usual error message. I hope I am going to be able to communicate with the seller to make the purchase.

After weeks of trying to figure out what was going on here, and running every scan known to mankind on my computer, I finally just closed down all of my sales listings, that was back in September. I kept thinking it must just be ebay tinkering with things and making everything glitch, but that couldn't last this long could it?  I can't figure out what else to try, besides just taking my business elsewhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated, please and thank-you. Kalvin, if you have a quick fix for me or info I am unaware of, I would really be grateful!

Thanks, Heather

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

wiilho
Community Member

i too have been having similar issues...

Whatever changes Ebay has made to their site in the last couple of weeks has caused me to have major connection issues. Very erratic performance, pages are hung or not loading, links to watched items will not load, 'buy it now' button hangs and will not load.

Sometimes i can sign in normally but cannot get anything else to work, sometimes i cannot even log out without  page hanging. 

I am on ebay.ca and have updated everything, tried clearing my browsers cache, cookies, restarting everything. 

I have tried Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera - the performance is no better with any of these.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@threebears63too wrote:

Hi all,

I have been having problems navigating virtually all areas of ebay for a couple of months. There is nothing wrong with my computer, I have scanned it for malware, spyware, viruses etc, I have defragged, I have downloaded a new browser, but no matter, still too many problems to believe.

When I connect to the internet, and open the browser (I have ebay.ca as my homepage) it either takes a really long time to load or the error message "this page cannot be displayed" comes up. If I go to any other website instead of ebay the page opens immediately. I have not been having any problems on any other website. If the ebay page won't load and you click on the "fix connection issues" link on the browser it always shows that there are no connection problems. I was using IE 10 and have recently downloaded Google Chrome.

However, the real issues start once I am finally able to get into the site. Links won't load, the page will sit there with the loading symbol turning perpetually, until finally the "page cannot be displayed" error shows up. Every now and then I can get in and get to a couple of pages but that's it.

I have been trying to make a purchase on my other id, I tried for several days, at first I couldn't even get the item page to come up, but when it finally did and I clicked on the buy it now button it repeatedly wouldn't take me to the payment page. Finally one day I just let it keep loading while I went and did some other surfing on a separate page, twenty minutes later I came back and it was still loading and never did. 

It is almost impossible to get my ebay messages to open, I usually just read them through my personal e-mail account. Unfortunately though, I had e-mailed the seller that I was trying to make the purchase from to ask if they offered shipping other than the GSP. I was finally able to see the reply they sent me and was glad to see that they offered USPS regular services. So I was able, after several attempts today using Google Chrome to get the buy it now button to work on the item, but when I tried to send them a message to request an invoice it wouldn't go through, and I got the usual error message. I hope I am going to be able to communicate with the seller to make the purchase.

After weeks of trying to figure out what was going on here, and running every scan known to mankind on my computer, I finally just closed down all of my sales listings, that was back in September. I kept thinking it must just be ebay tinkering with things and making everything glitch, but that couldn't last this long could it?  I can't figure out what else to try, besides just taking my business elsewhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated, please and thank-you. Kalvin, if you have a quick fix for me or info I am unaware of, I would really be grateful!

Thanks, Heather

Hi Heather,

Sorry to hear about these issues - I haven't head of any existing issues, and my personal experience has been glitch-free. Have you had a chance to reach out to Customer Support to see what we can do to help troubleshoot this for you?

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Kalvin,

Thanks for your reply. I have contacted ebay customer support unfortunately the suggestions I received were things I had already implemented, however the rep is passing it on to technical support for review and assistance. Hopefully there is something that can be done from your end because I have exhausted all possibilities from my end.  

Thanks again!

Heather

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

as mentioned above, i am having similar issues and have tried many fixes but cannot resolve it.

Have tried the site on Mac, Pc, on Firefox, Chrome, Safari and cannot get the site to display properly with anything.

Up till about a month ago everything was running normally.

Curiously though, if i access the ebay site from my public library's wifi, everything is normal and working. At home however, i cannot get the site to work reliably.

I feel like there has been some change implemented by the ebay site that is affecting the way my home internet connection processes all the ebay page requests and it is really bogging down. Regular / mobile ?   http / https ?

still troubleshooting...

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

"Curiously though, if i access the ebay site from my public library's wifi, everything is normal and working. At home however, i cannot get the site to work reliably."

The answer is right there: the problem is your computer, not eBay.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

i disagree. My computer is fine. The laptop i am using will not consistently load ebay pages at home, but the same machine, with all the same settings, will access the ebay site normally from the library's wifi network. That suggests a change, or difference in network processes. Everything worked fine from my home until a few weeks ago. Every other internet site that i look at, including e-commerce sites, still work normally from home. That suggests that the one site (Ebay) that i have had problems with has made some changes , with the result that the site does work properly from my home location.

Look around the forums here, there are lots of posts reporting issues of similar nature

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

For the few that have problems and report in these forums, they are thousands using eBay without issues.

Most likely it is your computer. Many computers are set to automatically update and the computer changes without the user being aware of a change. Personally, I have no automatic updates and have all Windows and software updates warn me of updates but not to install automatically. This way I know what has changed because I control when the change happens.

Did you try the following?

Clear your browser cache and cookies?

If using Windows, clear your temp files as well.

If you are using Internet Explorer 10 or 11, apparently there was an update a week or two ago that is causing issues with eBay. So try using the compatibility option in Internet Explorer.

Try using Windows Network Connection and the Repair option. Repair with clear the DNS cache in you network connection and may solve local problems with your Internet Provider connection.

Try using another browser such as FireFox to see if it works correctly.

For more help, go to the eBay.com USA forum called Photos & HTML.

PS If using a Windows computer, I would recommend downloading and using free CCleaner. This tool cleans up your computer cookies and cache as well as Windows temp files and other garbage left by software installations and upgrades. Run CCleaner with no browser or other software open.  Change the CCleaner option Not to remove files within the past 24 hrs to delete these files since most issues are in the current cache and cookies. Also turn on DNS cache cleaning.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@wiilho wrote:

i disagree. My computer is fine. The laptop i am using will not consistently load eBay pages at home, but the same machine, with all the same settings, will access the eBay site normally from the library's WiFi network. That suggests a change, or difference in network processes. Everything worked fine from my home until a few weeks ago. Every other internet site that i look at, including e-commerce sites, still work normally from home. That suggests that the one site (eBay) that i have had problems with has made some changes , with the result that the site does work properly from my home location.

Look around the forums here, there are lots of posts reporting issues of similar nature

Your laptop at the library is using a different setup for that WiFi connection. So it is not exactly the same.

It sounds like a security issue with your Internet security (virus)  package and your home connection. Are you using the WiFi at home? Or a wire connection? Try a wired connection at home to see what happens if you are using WiFi at home.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

thanks, these are all good suggestions... i had not thought of trying hardwiring my laptop at home.

But still no change - have tried Mac, PC, multiple (updated) browsers, with add-ons and extensions enabled/disabled and the ebay site (at home) still hangs pages all over the place intermittently.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

If you have tried multiple computers, then maybe it is your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Maybe your home router.  Maybe get it changed if the router comes with the monthly bill.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Hi all,

I am still trying to sort this problem out. I was just running a script debugger while I was trying to navigate ebay today and with each time the page got hung up I got the same message: Java Script runtime error, SCRIPT7002 XMLHttRequest: Network Error 0x2eff could not complete operation due to error 00002eff Access is Denied.  If that means anything to anyone, and if it might be part of the problem, could you give me some suggestions on what can be done to fix it?

wiilho, thanks for your message, I sent you a reply and hope maybe we can find a common denominator.

Poco, you have listed many good suggestions in your helpful posts for wiilho, I have tried everything you listed. I am running out of things to try. I think when I am in town over the weekend I might pop into one of our local computer shops and see if they have some ideas.

Unfortunately I haven't heard back anything from the ebay CS rep that was sending the problem off to the technical support department for any further ideas.

I will keep poking around and trying new things.

Thanks!

Heather

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I start a basic test by turning off all security and ad-blockers and all browser plug-ins and add-ons, then clear the browser cache and cookies, and restart the computer.  Reboot the router too. That will eliminate all sorts of potential culprits by removing them from the equation.

If you can access eBay with all that turned off, you will know to start looking at the disabled software.

I'm not sure you are both experiencing the same problem

wiilho, your problem sounds like a router or ISP issue, since you have access problems when you use different computers/browsers on your home system, but not when you go to a different router and ISP.  Some service providers will cache pages (just like your browser cache) to speed up delivery of popular pages, and eBay is one of  those popular sites. We have seen problems spontaneously disappear when those caches are cleared on some normal ISP schedule, like each day or each week. Some routers come with a bit of security and your router may not be happy with some of eBay's page scripts. But since you circumvented your home router entirely, that leaves the ISP.  Give them a call.

threebears63too, unless I missed something, it looks like you have only tried two different browsers with the same result for both. So far, this sounds like you may have a security block on your system. Start with my basic test above to see if you can get through.

eBay uses several different domains for its various services, so you may need to put all of them on the exception list on your security program. I had once used Norton 360 on eBay and experienced very sporadic access and extremely sluggish page loading.  What had happened is that Norton did not like one of eBay's scripts, labeling it a trojan, and shut down the firewall for 15 minutes.  So if I waited 15 minutes, I could get a page before it shut down again and then every subsequent request would be denied. That sort of firewall behavior may explain your sporadic access.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

i have compared notes with threebears63too, and one item we have in common (aside from the issues we are experiencing with the ebay site) is that we are both using a Bell Mobility device to get our internet service at home. 

The devices we are using are an internet stick to provide highspeed connection for a single machine and an internet hub/router that plugs in the wall and distributes a wireless signal to multiple devices in the home, much like any typical home router.

Both of these devices get their incoming  signal over cell tower networks.

The use of these internet sources for our home  may have something to do with the issues reported.

In both instances up until a month or so ago everything worked normally, now not so much.

Now i am not a network guru by any stretch, and do not know how this could make a difference, but there is a coincidence here.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I am having a lot of the same issues, and it's only on the ebay site. I contacted customer support, gave them the confirmation code it told me to give and I was able to list one item. Then tonight after work, I tried to list another, and can only get as far as item title in the SELL part and I get re-directed to another page that asks me to call customer support with the conf number. After giving them that number, I still can get away from that page. I've also cleared my cache and all that, with no luck.

My service provider is through Cogeco. 

I haven't tried hard wiring it yet .... maybe tomorrow .... I'm getting uber annoyed right now.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

My question is why is it ebay.ca not allowing me to list an item. Yet there are no problems if I try and list with ebay.com.
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Nothing works on this site   .... EBAY IS A JOKEEEEEEEEE

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

pistel
Community Member

same problem for me on ebay.ca. I get to pictures and then half wont load or none and then I lose the page. Even tried on my phone and same thing.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

pistel, bosco and rabbit:

Are you using the Sell Your Item form?

Are you using TurboLister if you are on a PC platform?

Are you using GarageSale on an Apple platform?

Also, there are some items that cannot be listed on eBaydotCA that are perfectly acceptable on eBaydotCOM. Paintball accessories come to mind and maybe fireworks, not sure.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

They are answering a thread from last year!

Message 20 of 20
latest reply