Why does eBay protect those selling counterfeit items?

Why does eBay protect those selling counterfeit items more than the people who were tricked into buying them. I am astonished by what I see going on here. So many fake items. It seems eBay does not care about the buyers and those of us who are serious collectors who do not want items that are not legit.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

What are you collecting? 

What proof can you offer the items in question are counterfeits?

A letter from a lawyer or the company itself in the form of a cease-and-desist court order, or merely suspicions?

VERO documentation?

There is a Report button on all listings. Use it but be aware that if ebay yanked every listing 'reported' for suspicion it was not as it should be for various reasons, there would be nothing left for sale online anywhere on any sales platform. Sellers must be held accountable but that has to be balanced by an opportunity to defend themselves. We can't walk into a workplace from the street and randomly demand people be fired from their job or livelihood for no given reason and expect it to happen, can we?

If it looks like fishy junk or trash, avoid it. It probably is. What does one expect for 78 cents including free shipping? I wouldn't buy watches from a guy wearing a long trenchcoat on the sidewalk in New York, either. Or from a vendor with purses spread across a picnic blanket on the cobblestone square in Florence.

Much of life comes down to avoiding trouble by using common sense.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If you have an actual case of suspect counterfeit goods on your hands, open an Item Not as Described Case within the Resolution Centre. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I have spent hundreds or hundreds my entire life with this collection and it's meant to be left for my nephew. First it was all genre stuff then I started with the comic book hero's because that is his interest.
I collect books, original artwork, action figures (never out of box), clothing, everything. Not that that really matters.

I don't need a lawyer when the person selling the items says it is counterfeit and isn't fighting that claim.

"VERO documentation?" lol - I don't need it when the sellers says their items are fake after you purchase them.

"There is a Report button on all listings. Use it but be aware that if ebay yanked every listing 'reported' for suspicion it was not as it should be for various reasons, there would be nothing left for sale online anywhere on any sales platform. Sellers must be held accountable but that has to be balanced by an opportunity to defend themselves. We can't walk into a workplace from the street and randomly demand people be fired from their job or livelihood for no given reason and expect it to happen, can we?"

Uh - it's illegal to sell counterfeit items. Peroid. You're point is moot.

I looked at your selling record @mjwl2006 and appears you're not the best seller so maybe some common sense in not replying is best for you. Thanks for offering me some but you're a jaded seller

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The hoodie I bought did not look counterfeit nor did it say it was until after I purchased it and the seller revised the link to the item I bought.
I'm not slow, I am 37 and have been collecting for years. Have never seen so much **bleep** going around.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Feedback Left For Others speaks for itself. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@119arty733 wrote:

..... Uh - it's illegal to sell counterfeit items. Peroid. You're point is moot.

I am not a point so therefore I cannot be moot.

If by 'you're' you mean 'your', my point remains valid.

I never claimed selling counterfeits items was legal nor did I assert that ebay approved of it. Proving an item is counterfeit is the key. ebay takes action when counterfeiting is proven and not on mere speculation that it has occurred.

You may also want to note that slander and libel are equally as illegal. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hi folks! Please remember to keep the boards friendly and welcoming for everyone, further hostility/interpersonal disputes may result in this thread being closed.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@119arty733 wrote:
@.... I looked at your selling record @mjwl2006 and appears you're not the best seller so maybe some common sense in not replying is best for you. Thanks for offering me some but you're a jaded seller

My Feedback (both Received as a Seller and Left for Others) and selling record is impeccable so I'm left unclear as to what you are referring.

Also, I've been a member of ebay as a buyer and seller for more than 10 years. I don't deal in counterfeits as either a buyer or seller and, in fact, sell only items that are new, and factory-sealed in package which are sourced directly from other the manufacturer or authorized dealers. Or other, trusted collectors within the community with whom I have dealt in the past. 

In closing, I am also a well-informed and generally well-respected member of the ebay Community. 

I'm sorry you were left disappointed by a recent transaction but it is inappropriate to lash out at people who are only trying to offer assistance. As you can see, I am the only one who has come to the table to date.

Perhaps another Community member will have slightly different advice with which you will agree to take. 

Good luck as you carry forward. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

A hoodie is a difficult thing.  If it is a copy of an official licensed item and you purchased it thinking that then even if the seller revised the listing you can still open a claim in ebay.

Open an item not as described claim

then in the claim clearly say that the item is counterfeit.  and say exactly what you mean.  Licensed item etc.

I mean we sell hoodies all the time and all of our stuff is fan art so we do not duplicate commercial designs.  But if we did then we would be selling counterfeit.  As after your attack on the last person who helped you I am not taking the time to look at sales histories and track down the hoodie.  I can say that if it is a counterfeit item you will not be required to return it.  But you will need to take some images to show what you are talking about.. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply