November 23rd 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. This week, the thread will remain open until tomorrow as usual.

Open issues:

• Browse pages and Search pages showing different results for same category
  • "Apply my Combined Shipping Discounts" option unavailable on Revise
  • Incomplete ID History
  • Link to Community located on Feedback page points to eBay.com
  • Some Search pages show watchers, some don't
  • Items missing from combined invoice
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Search results page shows shipping costs inconsistent with what's on the item pages - Shipping team working to fix
  • Shipping Calculator returning erroneous rates - Report sent to Pitney Bowes and Canada Post for investigation
  • RESOLVED - Economy Shipping from Outside the US giving wrong EDDs (7-14 biz days instead of 11-23)
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

Hi again, I have another announcement to make. In 2 weeks, I will be leaving the eBay Canada team. I have been offered a super interesting job on a new team focusing on Consumer Selling and will be relocating to the San Jose area. As I plan my transition to my new role and prepare to relocate, I'll be away next week but I will be back to hole my final weekly session with you on December 7th. Following that final session, there will be no more weekly chats until Rodney selects a successor, who will be starting these again in the new year.

I'll keep my goodbyes for the December 7 session but for now, let me thank each and everyone of you who attend my weekly chats, whether you post of just read. It's be great getting to know you and hopefully help you as well.

Message 2 of 104
latest reply

Raphael, you will be sorely missed. Thank you for your tiresome service. I'm sure this was a wearisome role to fill at times. 

Congratulations of your new position and best of luck to you in your future endeavours.

Message 3 of 104
latest reply

Good  morning, I have a few matters to question you with this morning but for clarity, I will limit one per post.

To start:

Do you have any word on Tracked Packet failing with the Calculated Shipping Tool? I raised this a few weeks ago. Buyers are being offered Tracked Packet as a service where the limit for Tracked Packet dimension (but not weight) is exceeded. As you may recall from the email I sent you earlier about this, this shipping tool error cost me $98 out-of-pocket because it sold an international buyer Tracked Packet where only Xpresspost would deliver. I'm hoping this will be addressed and fixed. I cannot be the only seller whose got listings of bulky items that are affected.

Message 4 of 104
latest reply

My next issue. Now this has been subject of some, ahem, vigorous debate. 

Are sellers allowed to collect and utilize the email addresses of ebay buyers to subscribe those ebay buyers (without consent) to post-purchase newsletters for off-ebay website stores? http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Ebay-Feature-Request-Share-items-to-userid/td-p/357156

I say emphatically no (citing the ebay privacy policy prohibiting spam as I am interpreting it) but others disagree. I'm certain you will hear more about this today from (an)other member(s) so I will leave it at that. Please review the thread I cited above. 

Message 5 of 104
latest reply

Canada Post recently announced it is suspending its service guarantees for the holiday season. Will ebay be following suit? There is now no possible way for sellers to ensure their packages are delivered on time so one would assume now that this means sellers can also expect ebay to forgive our Late Shipment defects? 

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2016/09/28/upcoming_change...

As a result, from November 21, 2016 to January 6, 2017, Canada Post will only honour service guarantee claims for late delivery if an Expedited Parcel item is delivered two or more business daysafter the delivery standard, instead of one.

Message 6 of 104
latest reply

Two more things and then I am done for the day, I promise.

This is a question that arose from trying to help another member with an Answer Centre problem and I could not find a policy to say one way or another what to tell them. Can multiple buyers share a single account? If they are in the same household? Different households? Or are all buyers supposed to have their own account? Is there a policy? If so, what is it?

Message 7 of 104
latest reply

Finally, harping again on the irregularity between Best Match within ebay and the Browse Page items brought to a potential buyer when he or she is coming to ebay via google. I raised this last week or the week before and you said you'd refer it to a colleague. In the meantime, I keep checking this search result to see when the two will align but there is honestly no correlation. Here is another example in my category. Obviously this affects me as a seller. 

Browse Page results for the search Disney Cars Star Wars (it's a special sub-category crossover):

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 2.48.33 PM.png

As you can see, coming into ebay from google, my stuff is nowhere to be seen. Yet doing that same search directly into ebay, this is what I get: 

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 2.48.15 PM.png

I have prominent placement. Not logged in just there. I am concerned as to the reason there is no correlation between the two. Is it because I am Canadian listing on ebay.ca? I certainly hope not. 

Message 8 of 104
latest reply

Okay, I lied. I'm back with one more thing. Canada Post recently expanded Xpresspost to several new countries which had previously only been served by Air Parcel. When will the Calculated Shipping Tool be updated to reflect that? And, also, when will Paypal Shipping? We've been waiting a year now for the last Tracked Packet destinations to be added to our ability to print via Paypal Shipping.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2016/09/28/upcoming_change...

Expanding the reach of the Xpresspost™ - International service
We’re excited to offer Xpresspost - International to 19 additional countries. Effective October 24, you will be able to ship items to these destinations using Xpresspost - International instead of International Air Parcel, which is slower and lacks the features Xpresspost - International has to offer. The higher quality service offers:

• Faster delivery to your customers
  • On-time delivery guarantee
  • Tracking
  • Delivery confirmation
  • Signature
BELARUSJAMAICAMEXICOTHAILAND
COSTA RICALATVIAROMANIATRINIDAD & TOBAGO
CROATIALITHUANIASAUDIA ARABIAUNITED ARAB EMIRATES
ESTONIAMALTASERBIAVIETNAM
INDONESIAMAURITIUSSLOVAKIA 
Message 9 of 104
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Raphael, you will be sorely missed. Thank you for your tiresome service. I'm sure this was a wearisome role to fill at times. 

Congratulations of your new position and best of luck to you in your future endeavours. 

Thanks for your kind words. I will miss you guys too! I'll still be around though, just no longer exclusively focusing on Canadian problems. I'm sure that whomever takes the reins in my wake will be able to help you just the same, who knows, maybe even better.

Message 10 of 104
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Good  morning, I have a few matters to question you with this morning but for clarity, I will limit one per post.

To start:

Do you have any word on Tracked Packet failing with the Calculated Shipping Tool? I raised this a few weeks ago. Buyers are being offered Tracked Packet as a service where the limit for Tracked Packet dimension (but not weight) is exceeded. As you may recall from the email I sent you earlier about this, this shipping tool error cost me $98 out-of-pocket because it sold an international buyer Tracked Packet where only Xpresspost would deliver. I'm hoping this will be addressed and fixed. I cannot be the only seller whose got listings of bulky items that are affected.

I had to take this to Pitney Bowes and Canada Post, because none of the data that drives these calculated rates come from eBay. I don't have a further update on this yet unfortunately.

Message 11 of 104
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

My next issue. Now this has been subject of some, ahem, vigorous debate. 

Are sellers allowed to collect and utilize the email addresses of ebay buyers to subscribe those ebay buyers (without consent) to post-purchase newsletters for off-ebay website stores? http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Ebay-Feature-Request-Share-items-to-userid/td-p/357156

I say emphatically no (citing the ebay privacy policy prohibiting spam as I am interpreting it) but others disagree. I'm certain you will hear more about this today from (an)other member(s) so I will leave it at that. Please review the thread I cited above. 

There are a few things I will say about this. First, sellers aren't supposed to use your email obtained via an eBay transaction to try and drive their sales off eBay. For obvious reasons however, this is very hard to enforce. Second, with regards to CASL (Canadian Anti Spam Law), while it's true that implied consent grants someone who has previously done business with you the right to contact you, that is only true for a certain period of time, while expressed consent grants the marketer the right to contact for a much longer period. Everyone should familiarize themselves with the CASL finer details and act accordingly, and complain to the authorities if they feel they are being spammed by a seller who isn't following the rules.

http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/home

Message 12 of 104
latest reply

I'm so sorry to hear you'll be leaving us!  I wish you the greatest success in your new position and want to thank you personally for all your assistance (and patience) in answering questions over the years.  That comes especially from "Madame cart-disconnect".  Smiley Wink

I'd like to deal with the subject that 'mjwl' mentions in Post #5 above, but I think the question needs to be completely different.  My concern is not in getting confirmation about whether eBay's own rules permit the use of buyer emails by sellers post-transaction or not.  I think there was a lot of misunderstanding about this in the thread linked in Post #5.  

My question is this: If such use of email communication outside of eBay is not allowed under eBay policy, how does eBay reconcile that policy with the current anti-spam laws of Canada, and under what legal authority?  Is there a statute or regulation eBay relies upon to resolve this contradiction?

As you might know, a section of Canada's new anti-spam law deals with exclusions that constitute "implied consent", one of which is the occurrence of any transaction between the parties (among other exclusions).  This may directly clash with the internal policies of sites such as eBay with respect to use of buyer emails.  

I am not trying to be deliberately contentious, it's a real concern.  If eBay prohibits the use of buyer emails for contact by sellers entirely outside eBay, then any seller doing so is going to be caught between eBay's rules and Canada's law, since the latter stipulates that there is no prohibition. 

While asking this, I recognize that you may not want to have to answer.  I realize it's likely not in the purview of your position at eBay.  I'm not ever sure that eBay's U.S. legal experts are in a position to answer it properly.  For that I think only an independent Canadian authority -- a court or legislature -- can properly resolve the question. 

I've written to the OCA (Office of Consumer Affairs) to ask them to explain how the exclusion portions of the law and internal corporate rules (of any corporation, but specifically online selling platforms like eBay) interact legally.  To put it simply, I asked which would take precedence in the event of a conflict.  Unfortunately I'm still waiting for a response, so I can't say what the answer will be.  However, I'm hoping they'll recognize that the question really needs to be referred to a legal authority for a proper answer, and I believe they have the mandate to do that.  I'll update the thread on this issue once I have a reply. 

Message 13 of 104
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:
There are a few things I will say about this. First, sellers aren't supposed to use your email obtained via an eBay transaction to try and drive their sales off eBay. For obvious reasons however, this is very hard to enforce. Second, with regards to CASL (Canadian Anti Spam Law), while it's true that implied consent grants someone who has previously done business with you the right to contact you, that is only true for a certain period of time, while expressed consent grants the marketer the right to contact for a much longer period. Everyone should familiarize themselves with the CASL finer details and act accordingly, and complain to the authorities if they feel they are being spammed by a seller who isn't following the rules.

http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/home

This was my understanding of how things stand as well, thanks for your response.  

Just to be clear, the time frame under the implied consent exclusions is 2 years.  However, the law does stipulate that a seller relying on implied consent must provide an "opt-out" to the customer on initial contact, so that if the customer agrees to allow further contact, that implied consent becomes expressed consent.  

I agree that it's a very good idea for any seller using outside email communication with former buyers to read and understand all the implications of that law. 

Message 14 of 104
latest reply

I have a question about how the new and improved .com cart handles checkout where two currencies are involved, e.g. $US and $Cdn.  

At the moment I have most listings on .com, some on .ca.  I understand that if a buyer purchases one of each, they will see a message at checkout telling them that each currency has to be paid separately.  I do get this, but what I don't know is what happens from there from the buyer's point of view.  

Is the buyer taken to Paypal and then automatically looped back again to the cart to pay for the second item?  I'd have to hope that's the case.  Or does the buyer have to find his way back to the cart more or less on his own?  Is one currency always dealt with first, or does that depend on the listing site and/or the site the buyer is purchasing from? 

My concern is cart abandonment by the buyer part way through the payment process.   

Message 15 of 104
latest reply

Hi Rapael, I sold an older electronic item As Is & not working & for repair. No returns. Was honest in all the details. The item was in near mint condition. It was bought by a person in Canada. Should have listened to my radar as he was being unreasonable before he bought. Wanted it for half price & complained about the shipping cost. Then when he paid right away wanted it shipped even faster. My husband said this guy will find something wrong when he gets it & will probably return it. Sure enough, today I get a return request. He complained about everything. Just to keep the peace I will allow a return. I have already added him to my blocked list. I have never had to do a return before. How do you provide a return shipping label? Thanks So I asked the Community & received this comment: To do a return label in Canada you just create one in PayPal like usual (you already have yours & his info) and send it to the buyer's email address (which you already have) as an attachment. I was not able to do that so I phoned eBay Customer Service. Got someone from the Philippines again. She didn't know that the buyer & me the seller are in the same country. Tried to talk me through cross border return shipping. Didn't know anything about making a return shipping label through PayPal but told me to go to a Post Office to do that. I then phoned PayPal as I can find no way to send a return shipping label. I talked to someone in Arizona & she said it can't be done through Chrome browser. So I used Firefox instead. I then had to go into Shipping Preferences & click on Update & Click yes to Display Return Shipping Label Link For Buyer. Then the buyer has to go into PayPal & print up the label himself & then I have to refund him the money. I told my buyer this & now he is threatening me that he will not pay me any money for return shipping & I have a feeling he will put in a complaint to get the whole thing refunded. He told me that he has done returns before & never had to pay. Looks like he may be a chronic returner. Please advise. I am so stressed out & upset.
Message 16 of 104
latest reply

One last question for today (I think it's the last, I've been saving them up Woman Very Happy).  

I'm considering switching all my listings back to .ca now that the .com cart is fixed, maybe as a New Year's experiment for a few months to see if I do any better than I have been lately.  

Although I have real concerns about the display and fluctuation of $CDN prices in relation to my U.S. competitors' prices if I list exclusively on .ca (95% of my customers are in the U.S.), that's something I might trade off in order to get proper access to Canada Post options and to save money on FVFs. 

So my question is: do the eBay delivery time frames for items listed on .ca and shipping to the U.S. fairly reflect the actual Canada Post delivery estimates to the U.S. for the various services, particularly where the item is being purchased from .com?

Message 17 of 104
latest reply

Hello, I was told to submit this here for help.

A month ago I noticed that my store fees were being charged in US dollars. I called customer service and asked if the store fee was supposed to be $59.99 US or $59.99 CDN since I stay exclusively on .ca. She said she would get back to me and the next day she sent me an email saying I was subscribed to a .com store and needed to be subscribed to a ca store to be charged $59.99 CDN.

I was given instructions on how to close the .com store and a link to reopen the store on.ca. I was promised that the early termination fees which were over $300 after the conversion from US to CDN would be credited.  So I closed the store as per her instructions and the link took me right back to the default .com store. I have never been able to open a store on .ca as I am always automatically defaulted to .com. I needed my store open so I hit the button to reverse the store closure and I was back where I started.

I saw the high amount on my new charges to date so I emailed customer service and received a message from another representative saying the early termination fees would of course be credited, but they could not do that until the invoice was generated. I called a customer representative after reading this and was transferred to a billing supervisor and she told me the same thing, wait until the invoice is generated and she has put in the request for a credit already

Last Friday my invoice came in and the $314 for termination fees were on it. I called on Friday and spoke to another representative, was given a service request number, and was told the credit would be processed and someone would contact me on Monday. Nobody contacted me so I called and was told that the credit has not been requested. I asked to be passed on to another billing supervisor and was told that the credit was not requested but she would do it. Another promise was given that I would be contacted today. I do not know if this is true or not. She also informed me that the initial information I was given was wrong and it does not matter if my store is subscribed to .com or .ca, it it $59.99 US either way. I do not know if that is true or not.

In total I have 2 emails from Ebay instructing me to close the store and promising me a credit for the early termination fees, and I have talked to several representatives on the phone who all said the credit is being processed yet it still has not. While I was talking to these representatives they could see the initial email instructing me to close the store and reopen it so they know this was not my idea and my store was closed for less than a minute so obviously they can see it was never terminated.

Yet a month later I still have a fraudulent charge of $314 for early termination fees that has yet to be credited. How much misdirection and false promises are allowed before Ebay makes a very simple credit to eliminate a fee that I should have never been charged for in the first place?

Message 18 of 104
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Canada Post recently announced it is suspending its service guarantees for the holiday season. Will ebay be following suit? There is now no possible way for sellers to ensure their packages are delivered on time so one would assume now that this means sellers can also expect ebay to forgive our Late Shipment defects? 

As a result, from November 21, 2016 to January 6, 2017, Canada Post will only honour service guarantee claims for late delivery if an Expedited Parcel item is delivered two or more business days after the delivery standard, instead of one.

I think this sounds more alarming than it really is. When you boil it down, this is Canada Post padding their financial responsibility to honour claims for late delivery by one extra day and only for Expedited Parcel. EP being a tracked service, as soon as the item is shipped within the seller's stated handling time, there is no possibility of a late shipment defect. This should have zero impact on a seller's metrics.

Message 19 of 104
latest reply

Hi Raphael, sorry to hear you'll be leaving us but I bet the weather will be nicer in San Jose!

i sent you two emails last week in response to requests from you re my two questions i asked in last weeks chat session. Did you have any chance to read them yet or any answers for me? If not, will you please pass them on to your successor. Thank you.

Message 20 of 104
latest reply