Am I the only outraged by fees on fees?

I'm sorry, I'm not one to rant for no good reason but I'm p.o. right now.

I'm not a pro seller, just a regular shmo who sells some stuff on eBay once in a while. But to me, charging eBay fees on shipping fees that I have to pay for seems outrageous. I mean, who does that?!? I charge the seller what Canada Post charges me (WHEN it actually works, which is not often) and then, I get stabbed by eBay on that too?!

I get the fees on the actual sale, perfect sense. But what do you guys do? Do you charge more for shipping? Pre-calculate all the possibilities? Is there a way to add say $1 to whatever is the shipping fee? Where did the "handling fees" go for that matter, because for my recent stuff I couldn't even charge those (you know, paper, enveloppes, gas to post office); I sell small stuff, and sometimes I sell at stupid low prices, but that's the thing with auctions and I'm fine with it. But I don't want to have to pay out-of-pocket over and above whatever I'm not getting out of the sale!!

Ok... rant over. Sorry. 

But there are actual questions in here that I would love to have advice on, because as it is, I'm done selling on eBay.

Thanks

ts

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Am I the only outraged by fees on fees?

eBay is not for small sellers. They are trying to drive you away. If I cannot sell a widget at a good profit, after all fees, I do not try to sell it.

Watch your pricing and know that the exchange rate on the dollar is paying all your FVF. The current exchange rate is 9.25% and I get charged 8% for FVF. I am making 1.25.

Build all your costs into your opening price, I do. When the costs are too high, well, not everything is suitable for mail order.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I guess you're right... but it's still a shame that they wouldn't have a two-tier system of something to that effect. But profit is profit I suppose...

Just so I fully understand your advice though, what does FVF stand for again? 🙂

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

"But what do you guys do?"

All my listings offer free shipping worldwide.  That takes care of that problem!

As to your other question: who does that?  eBay copied the policy from its largest competitor Amazon a few years ago.  At that time (you may not have been around then), FVF were lowered on fixed price items to make up somehow for the FVF on the shipping charge.  Unfortunately, Canadian sellers were affected more than most since shipping charges in Canada are generally substantially higher than elsewhere.  But that has nothing to do with eBay since they do not control whatever the carriers (Canada Post and all others) charge.

Most sellers have learned to live with it while a few walked away.

And life does go on.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

FVF = Final Value Fees (commission charged by eBay on the total value of the transaction).

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Techno, there are still a lot of sellers who do not know there is an FVF on shipping. They continue to charge $1 per widget and $100 shipping thinking they are beating the system.

On overall fees, eBay is competitive, or way better, than the competition.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

eBay is not for small sellers. They are trying to drive you away

Just so you know, that is an opinion, not a fact.

There is a place to add on a handling fee when you are using calculated shipping. If the package is small and you are using lettermail or small packet, you can add on extra to make up for your shipping supplies. People are very conscious of shipping prices though so be careful of what you add on.  I usually add all fvf including shipping fvf to my item price in order to keep shipping costs down.

Also, if you are using expedited parcel or tracked packet, the shipping calculator will show the exact shipping cost but if you use paypal to print out the shipping label you receive 14-18% off of counter prices.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks to all of you for your answers, very helpful. I can totally see larger sellers not be affected as much as you get used to it, but this is all great advice! (and sorry for the noobness of not knowing the FVF thing).

The thing that threw me off, aside from the handling fees net being there (PJ I double checked and I really don't have that option), was that I get very confused at different CP shipping methods that don't have the same wording here and on the CP site... but that's a live and learn kind of thing I suppose.

Thanks again!
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Are you using the one page or two page listing form? It's possible that the one page doesn't give that option. To use the longer form click on switch to advanced tool on the top right of the form.

I realize that you may not need this info but it might help someone else in the future.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply