Spam Phone Calls From eBay

What's all this about?

Cheerful young lady asked for me by name, said she was from eBay, then asked me if I had a few moments to hear about the Spring Seller update.

I (nicely) told her, I had already read it.

Then she asked for permission to send me details.

I said she was quite welcome to, but I HONESTLY had already read it (I'm trying not to laugh by now).

Undeterred she read my e-mail address to me to check it was correct.

Is this why we pay so much in fees?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I spoke to one of those robots earlier today...

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!

Just after I wrote that, got a SECOND call for the EXACT same thing they called me about earlier today....except this time he asked for "Stefan", why can't people say "Stephen" properly!!!!?:|

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

So eBay is paying people to tell us what we already know, or could easily look up. They have our e-mail address anyway, why not spam us that way?

Am I missing something?

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

There way of doing it I guess...

If you ever wanna have some fun with those types of calls, try having a random conversation with them! I know they're just doing their "job", but it's fun to deviate from the script...."hey how's life treating ya?"....."been for ice cream lately?". Try the same when you get that ever so popular "Hello, how are you?" at a retail store...just bust into a story...."omg I've had the worst day ever....then go on and on. Some become human again, some become deer in the headlights and some won't deviate from the script at all!!

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Ah well, now you're getting into a whole other area. If they are real nuisance callers I will be a real nuisance back, in fact if it's a Windows repair scammer, or that level of call, I'll set my son on him who'll really mess with his head.

But if they are from a company I actually deal with, and they are polite etc, I'll be nice, but at the same time, I do take a dim view of spam whatever form it takes, and if you work as a spammer, you really can't expect a welcome with open arms. People are busy.

In this instance I'm just annoyed at eBay.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I just got a THIRD phone call.....

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

"a THIRD phone call....."

I wonder.... could it be someone at eBay is reading these threads and wants to help!

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Nope! Spring seller update human robot calls each time 🙂

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I got 2 calls from eBay today.  Both reading the same message.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Got the same canned message today also.

I seem to recall we get one every spring.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I got the call just before noon today.  After I told him I was "in a rush" because I had a lunch date he asked if I had time to talk to him regarding how the Spring Seller Updates would have a "positive affect" on my eBay business.?:|

Speaking of which, I revised all of my listings 2 months ago to give 1 day handling time and did not receive the promised extra 5% bonus. 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I got the call from a very nice young man at the shop today. Since I don't work there and had forgotten I had given that phone number, it puzzled me.

But I chatted with him for a bit.

When he got to the Duplicate Listings, I stopped him and asked about penalties for inadvertant dupes. He was a little confused but did know something about it beyond the script and actually indicated that he was a seller himself.

He also seemed to be in Canada, because he knew there was an eBaydotCA as well as an eBaydotCOM and of course his accent was mainstream Canada.

He promised an email but I haven't seen it yet. Been busy with the science fiction con here in September. Two more excellent guests and people are renting dealer tables so Woot! Not enough time to do eBay as well.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

About a year ago I had the rude letter from eBay about duplicates on auction listings, and I complained about it, because it did not

a) tell me WHICH listings, or  include a link to anywhere I could check for duplicates, and

b) they were accidental.

eBay offered to refund me the lost listing fees, but it would have taken me longer to find the details they needed, than the money is worth.

So they ARE sympathetic to accidental duplications if you ask nicely, however it would be better if the system worked faster, i.e. instead of identifying duplicates AFTER they were listed, if it came up as an error message when you ATTEMPTED to list. Too radical an idea?

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Yes, the push from the girl who talked to me was "positive effect on my business".

Hmm.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

I guess eBay wants to make sure sellers know about updates even if they don't read the emails. I got no such call yet, but then I rarely answer 1-800 number that is not recognized by my phone (and certain phone # are assigned to "unwelcome" group, which has very distinct "do not pickup this" ring).

On another note, me and my wife walked into The Brick yesterday just to shop around and I find it extremely annoying when a salesman sticks to you. All I want is to look around and he just keeps babling his script. Even when we were walking out he kept following us with his script. If I were coming there to actually buy something, this would have deterred me from doing it.

I am wondering, since they have no decency, if we should give them some. Would it be too rude simply ignore the salesperson and walk out even if he is calling you or tries to start conversation while you are walking out ? I have no problem deterring telemarketer on the phone, but it's not as easy in person.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

I got the call yesterday and I listened to the crap and answered the questions. Then today again, I got the same call from 1-801-545-1800 in Midvale, UT.

Lets just say that I wasn't so pleasant today when I got the call. Why are they so worried about educating sellers about the new changes???

Call the damn buyers and give them some education with my listing fee money!

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

bighillbargains1
Community Member

I got 3 identical calls yesterday, all out of Utah! Answered the first one and politely listened, the other 2 left an identical message on the answer machine...

What a waste of time and money!

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I didn't receive the promised email either.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Having done retail sales (though never in a chain) the script may not have been from The Brick. The salesman may have found certain "keywords" that usually work.

For example, when I was telling people that their found/inherited/ childhood stamp collection was of no commercial value , I found saying "Well, you didn't win the lottery." was more useful than all the explanations of market value, last buyer, buy retail/sell wholesale I could make.

And having done commission selling, I can also say he probably knew if he left you alone for a second, another salesman would swoop in and complete the sale if you were in a buying space at all.

BTW still no email from "Jim".

Message 20 of 21
latest reply