Ebay adds Insult to Injury

Thank you very much ebay for restricting my account for trying to do business. Your complete failure to provide me with the shopping cart services you charge me for. You force my customers to contact me looking for ways to make multiple item purchases. Sometimes as many as 40 items. When these buyers contact me they use words like "combined order" "send me an invoice" because your cart is disfunctional. Now you accuse me of offering to take business off ebay. Well Sirs, why not? You are not able to offer me the service you charge me for. If you cannot process an order for 40 items then they are not your customers. I have several dealers who also list my products on ebay. Maybe I need to request they close their listings or I won't sell to them. 99.5% of my traffic comes from Google search engine. I bring you business and now you restrict me... jerks!

Thank you ebay for 10 very frustrating years....

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

In a situation such as yours, I have communicated with buyers and potential buyers through eBay Messages.

If the cart is not working  I have asked the potential buyer to list which item they wanted to buy.

I then add a Best Offer Option to each listing.  The person makes an offer at one penny less than the listed price.

I accept the offer and send an invoice for all items to the buyer.

All communication is through eBay Messages.... This is a written record of everything done.

I once had someone buy ten books in this manner....

My rule is... Once listed on eBay, it is bought off eBay.

Only once did I have someone... mad... very mad ...  with this rule of mine.....  and then I said good-bye and blocked him

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

The really mad potential  buyer wanted a local pickup..  he did not want to buy it on eBay.  He wanted a direct purchase from me.....

That is when my rule of  buying ... If it is listed on eBay, you buy it on eBay.

All communication was through eBay Messages.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@paulgg132 wrote:

Thank you very much ebay for restricting my account for trying to do business. Your complete failure to provide me with the shopping cart services you charge me for. You force my customers to contact me looking for ways to make multiple item purchases. Sometimes as many as 40 items. When these buyers contact me they use words like "combined order" "send me an invoice" because your cart is disfunctional. Now you accuse me of offering to take business off ebay. Well Sirs, why not? You are not able to offer me the service you charge me for. If you cannot process an order for 40 items then they are not your customers. I have several dealers who also list my products on ebay. Maybe I need to request they close their listings or I won't sell to them. 99.5% of my traffic comes from Google search engine. I bring you business and now you restrict me... jerks!

Thank you ebay for 10 very frustrating years....

I have brought this issue up in chat, it has also been brought up on the US chat and Ebay just sluffs it under the rug. It has been an issue for over 3 years and Ebay could care less.

Just another way to get rid of the collectible sellers they no longer want.

I hope the restriction was not permanent. If so, you had better call Ebay to have your store closed without penatly if you are on anuualor they will continue to bill you for it and if you have selling manager pro, same goes for that.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

What is the point of the shopping cart if I need to open 40 items and set them to "best offer" and then set them all back afterwards. Then start all over again the next day. I have over 300 listings and sell more than 2000 selections annually through ebay alone. 

All communications are done through ebay email.

The particular case used was an inquiry about a fitment on a certain car. If answering a buyer's question is a violation of some policy, the policy is stupid. 

The malfunction has generated over 3000 individual refunds over the last 4 years, costing me an additional $0.30 per transaction on Paypal. Over $900 so far!

I PAY EBAY FOR LISTING'S VISIBILITY AND A SHOPPING CART. EBAY HAS FAILED TO PROVIDE SERVICES AS AGREED UPON. END OF CONVERSATION! 

TIME FOR A CLASS ACTION UNDER THE "COMPETITIONS ACT"... THIS IS A VIOLATION OF MY RIGHT TO CONDUCT BUSINESS... b.t.w. here is some info about the Competitions Act....

• promote the efficiency and adaptability of the Canadian economy
  • expand opportunities for Canadian participation in world markets while at the same time recognizing the role of foreign competition in Canada
  • ensure that small and medium-sized enterprises have an equitable opportunity to participate in the Canadian economy
  • provide consumers with competitive prices and product choices.

EBAY HAS FAILED CANADIAN BUSINESS....

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I PAY EBAY FOR LISTING'S VISIBILITY AND A SHOPPING CART. EBAY HAS FAILED TO PROVIDE SERVICES AS AGREED UPON. END OF CONVERSATION! 

are you certain that your items are visible?????

If you feel that your sales are slower than usual...don't ask why...you have lost visibility.

Search your item using Tor Browser or install a VPN to your common browser...do not log in and search your item on ebay.

Surprise!!!!

your item are not there.

4 days without sale made me wonder...nothing new here with ebay "hidding" your listings but it never happen to me before until recently.

Pat

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@paulgg132 wrote:

Thank you very much ebay for restricting my account for trying to do business. Your complete failure to provide me with the shopping cart services you charge me for. You force my customers to contact me looking for ways to make multiple item purchases.

It is maddening, and very frustrating.  I've been banging on this drum with the eBay Canada people for several months now, but they seem to think it's a minor issue.  You might want to see my posts on the thread linked below, including Post #65.  I've also linked your thread there, because I'm hoping someone at eBay may see that this isn't just one or two sellers who are affected.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Ebay-Chat/td-p/381818/highlight/false

So, if it will help, here's why this is happening to your customers, from what I've been able to glean from the eBay reps, and what you might be able to do that could stop it (not guaranteed, but worth a try):

1)  Months ago, eBay changed the system that controlled shipping discounts (not the cart itself actually, although this does affect the way multiple items put into the cart are handled on checkout).  It appears eBay re-programmed seller preferences to make it necessary for sellers to specify "allow combined discounts" in the seller "Preferences" section in order for buyers to be able to use the "Request Total" feature; 

2)  A lot of sellers will be completely unaware of this, and may never had had "allow combined discounts" option turned on in the first place.  I suspect some sellers might not even know it exists.  This results in the "Request Total" feature being completely disabled for their buyers.  EBay did (in my view) an extremely poor job of informing sellers of this fact.  And that's the problem.  They ran one rather obscurely worded banner warning on the SYI forms (at least on .com) for a few weeks, and that was it.  I saw the warning, but it didn't make sense to me until much later when I was able to put 2 and 2 together. 

3)  It appears that if you have "allow combined discounts" toggled on in your "Preferences" section (under "Seller Preferences"), whether or not you actually have automated shipping discount rules set up, your buyers will be able to see and use the "Request Total" feature. 

4)  There is some uncertainty over whether this is true in all cases, on all sites.  I happen to have my "combined discounts" option turned on, and I have one automated rule set up (buy 4, get free shipping).  When one of the eBay reps tried putting several of my .ca items into the eBay.ca cart, he was able to access "Request Total".  I'm not sure whether that would also be true of my .com listings and the .com cart.  

So if you list on eBay.ca only, and turn on "allow combined discounts" in "Preferences", your buyers should be able to use "Request Total" for multi-item orders, at least according to the most recent tests.  

I still don't have clarification from anybody about the situation on .com, but if you list on eBay.com and don't have your "allow combined discounts" option turned on, you may want to do that.  At the very least, it can't make things any worse. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@patphotog wrote:

are you certain that your items are visible?????

If you feel that your sales are slower than usual...don't ask why...you have lost visibility. 

This isn't a visibility issue, but a known glitch created more or less inadvertently some months ago when eBay changed the way seller options affect the checkout process (see my post above for details). 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I don't see the exact wording you refer to.  In "My eBay">Account>Site Preferences>Selling Preferences>Shipping Preferences> I see "Offer combined payments and shipping", which then has a "yes" choice that allows buyers to send one combined payment for all items purchased within 5 specified time periods, and then directs you to choose either Canadian or US currency, and states that combined payments and discounts can only apply to listings in one currency - is this what you are referring to?

I don't see anything actually headed "Seller Preferences" or "allow combined discounts".  Can you please clarify if there is another area I should be searching?

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I was referring to Paulgg comment that is paying for visibility.

not always true.

The shopping cart issue could be maddening but if your listing lose visibility...believe me... that will solve your shopping cart problem.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@cleopatras-needle wrote:

I don't see the exact wording you refer to.  In "My eBay">Account>Site Preferences>Selling Preferences>Shipping Preferences> I see "Offer combined payments and shipping", which then has a "yes" choice that allows buyers to send one combined payment for all items purchased within 5 specified time periods, and then directs you to choose either Canadian or US currency, and states that combined payments and discounts can only apply to listings in one currency - is this what you are referring to?

Yes, that is what she is referring to.    Are you buyers having a problem requesting a total for items in their cart? 

In some cases, Canadians who used to list in $US when it was allowed on .ca still have that setting set to $US. It must be set to $C in order to work for .ca listings.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

As far as I know we have never been able to send an invoice for that many items.  Their checkout definitely has problems but as you've found out one of the things that eBay has been clamping down on is sellers taking sales away from ebay when a buyer has found that item  listed on the eBay site. 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I have no complaints about my listing visibility within ebay. Couldn't care less how they search out in ebay search engine. Ebay generates less than 25% of my unit volume. 99% of my traffic finds me on Google first. Along with dozens of non-ebay sellers who carry my product on their own online web stores. The sole purpose of my ebay store is for retail customers to have direct access to my product. Manufacturer direct. Quick and easy shopping. Not just quick and easy for them, but me too! Fill the cart, combine, then pay. No need to set up a PayPal Invoice. That's what I pay ebay for and am not getting. Everything worked fine for nearly 6 years. Now my customers are angry because they need to pay the S&H on all 40 items they want to order. I no longer see the shopping cart contents and cannot combine. I should not have to process 40 refunds, plus pay the extra $0.30 PayPal fee on each transaction. My customers are demanding that I send them a PayPal if ebay is not working.

In this case, I am being suspended because of the question that was asked, and the wording, semantics. He wanted to know which size for a specific car. I gave him the product number, which he searched on ebay and made a purchase of 1 item because he could not get it to combine 2 items. So I also lost a sale and then got suspended. 

No sense calling customer service in the Philippines, need I say more on that point!

The shopping cart malfunctions are over 4 years old. It is a worldwide problem that started when they installed the Australian shopping cart in 2013ish, followed by UK, and then the States... It's biggest effect is on sellers who ship Worldwide. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

The problem seems to be when people shop using their cell phones. Usually not an issue if purchased on a PC. Suggest that they use their computer not their phone. Has worked for me in the past when faced with the exact same issue.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@cleopatras-needle wrote:

Yes, that is what she is referring to.    Are you buyers having a problem requesting a total for items in their cart? 

In some cases, Canadians who used to list in $US when it was allowed on .ca still have that setting set to $US. It must be set to $C in order to work for .ca listings.

Thank you for that.  I wasn't even aware that mine was still set to $US.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

You haven't mentioned the specific problem that your buyers are having with the cart but if they are seeing the message that the seller does not combine shipping make sure that your preferences are checked off to allow comcined shipping in Canadian dollars on .ca.  

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

I am always on a PC, never a cell phone, and as a buyer, I run into this constantly, especially when buying from overseas, and not China.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply