US shipping not being calculated on .ca listing HELP

zaxi7
Community Member

I have a listing on ebay.ca that someone bid on. A short time later another interested buyer said they want to know shipping amount since it was not showing up.

I tried to enter their zip code on my listing and it said invalid code. I then went on Canada post site and entered my listing with exact measurements I had on my listing and it showed several options with prices.

I figured there is a problem with the ebay shipping calculator or my listing measurements and I called ebay. They were NO HELP and basically said my listing is fine and it must be the buyers browser and  they need to call ebay to get a shipping quote or help?!?!?

I knew the person had no clue what they were dealing with and I am now asking help from the boards:  I use canada post to get my shipping options since the ebay.ca listing shipping calculator has not worked for several months.   

Listing measurements: 11x10x1 cm @ .4g  and canada post website has options for small packet air USA, expedited parcel USA and a couple more but I listed only these options.

My questions are 1. are my measurements incorrect if so, why do they show up on canada post website with valid shipping options.

2. the bidder who wins will not have a shipping cost calculated for them so, can they pay and basically get free shipping? or will they need to contact me for shipping amount (request total)?

Message 3 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

shipping rates not showing up for US buyers

My listing is not showing shipping rates for any US buyers (invalid zip code) but will show for Canada buyers. I checked my measurements on Canada post and they will give me shipping options and prices to US. Why won't it show on ebay?

Here is an example of one item (that has a bid on it) 11x10x1 cm @ 0.4g my options include small packet air US  and expedited US. Where am I going wrong on my listing?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply

UPDATE: I called ebay and they were NO help whatsoever. They basically ummm hmmm it must be the buyers browser and they should call ebay to get a shipping quote?!?!  I asked them to check my listing measurements to see if anything was incorrect and they said it was all correct.

At this point I can't change my listing since there is a bid on it. What happens when they pay and there is no shipping amount? Are they able to pay without a shipping amount and I'm stuck selling it with free shipping???

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

For some reason the Canada Post calculator will give a price even though the dimensions are too small for that service. The ebay calculator will not give you a price and you will not be able to print a label with those dimensions.

The minimum dimensions for small packet US and international are 14cm x 9cm x 1mm. For Expedited USA it is 21 x 14 x 0.5 cm.  Canada Expedited is 10cm x 7cm x 1 mm  which is why the Canadian shipping is working.

You have 5 listings that are not showing a U.S. shipping price and six are not showing any international shipping prices.

Its up to you but I don't think that it is necessary to put two options for the U.S. or international because buyers are going to choose the less expensive one. If you want delivery confirmation for a package then just give them the choice for a service that has that, otherwise, I would just list the cheaper shipping option.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

They won't be able to pay if their is no shipping stated so when the auction is over you can send them an invoice. But it would be a good idea to let them know now what the shipping will cost so that there are no surprises when you send them the invoice. Americans tend to be surprised by our high cost of shipping.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

I think the problem is caused by you not selecting the right Canada Post service to the USA and overseas.

Let us take it one step at the time:

What specific shipping service did you select for the USA?

For overseas?

"but I listed only these options."

KISS.  Looking at the "stuff" you sell, only offer one shipping option (the cheapest). 

"11x10x1 cm @ .4g"

Something is incorrect with those numbers.  Do you mean 400 grams (0.4 kilo)?

If really 11cm x 10cm x 1cm, you should use Canada Post "lettermail" within Canada for only a few dollars.  There is no point in shipping Expedited.  You would then use fixed shipping charges instead of calculated.  The same applies to USA and overseas.  You could ship (if your measurements are correct) by Light Packet or Small Packet at fixed shipping charge (NOT calculated)

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

You have asked the same question on another board.  Check for my answer there.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

I saw your other thread on this first and replied there.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Site-Issues/shipping-rates-not-showing-up-for-US-buyers/m-p/295509#U2955... I didn't notice the .4 grams though....do you mean .04kg?

Something else that Pierre thought of and I didn't is that you can use light packet to U.S. and international and lettermail within Canada if those measurements are correct.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

"You would then use fixed shipping charges instead of calculated.  The same applies to USA and overseas.  You could ship (if your measurements are correct) by Light Packet or Small Packet at fixed shipping charge (NOT calculated)"

Light and small packet are one price anywhere in the U.S. and light packet international is the same price to all the other countries. But small packet international does vary.. For example, a small packet int'l air 200gr package to the UK would be $9.49 and to Russia it would be $11.57

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

" if those measurements are correct."

And this is a problem we see quite regularly: sellers using "calculated" shipping, providing eBay with weight and measurements, when none are needed. 

In many instances all a seller needs to do is quote a fixed shipping charge matching the appropriate Canada Post shipping service (lettermail domestically or Light Packet or Small Packet to USA and overseas).

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

"a small packet int'l air 200gr package to the UK would be $9.49 and to Russia it would be $11.57"

True but I would think most sellers would benefit of the simplicity of using one and only one rate overseas if using "fixed shipping" using an approximate average ($10.50 or $11.00 in this instance would work fine).

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I agree and that's what I do.

Another note for the OP.....You can use calculated shipping to Canada and flat rate to the U.S. and international.But you can't use flat rate for the U.S. and calculated for international...they both have to use the same method.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

here is my selected options on my listing page: 

(I'm going to leave out canada since it seems to be fine but yes good point about lettermail!)

International calculated by location:

Canada post small packets Air (checked off united states only)

Canada post expedited parcel (check off US only)

I also did expresspost but I doubt anyone would ever pick it $$$

The measurement are 10x11x1 cm in that order

custom weight: 0kg  4g

I can put in the listing number or any other info if it helps.

Thanks for the replies!

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Thank you for the clarification.

So basically I could go to a canadian post office and use the shipping options stated in their website calculator but I would not be able to print off those same options on paypal?

If thats the case what a pain. Most of my listings have been calculated through canada post website since the ebay listing calculator hasnt worked for me for months. I think its a browser issue since I cannot print my paypal shipping labels on chrome or internet and it only works on safari. Maybe I need to see is safari will work for ebay listing shipping calculator???

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I replied to your post but I will repost it here since I started 2 topics basically saying the same thing and if someone else is struggling with the same issue it will be here too.... 

Here was the response: 

For some reason the Canada Post calculator will give a price even though the dimensions are too small for that service. The ebay calculator will not give you a price and you will not be able to print a label with those dimensions.

The minimum dimensions for small packet US and international are 14cm x 9cm x 1mm. For Expedited USA it is 21 x 14 x 0.5 cm.  Canada Expedited is 10cm x 7cm x 1 mm  which is why the Canadian shipping is working.

You have 5 listings that are not showing a U.S. shipping price and six are not showing any international shipping prices.

Its up to you but I don't think that it is necessary to put two options for the U.S. or international because buyers are going to choose the less expensive one. If you want delivery confirmation for a package then just give them the choice for a service that has that, otherwise, I would just list the cheaper shipping option.

Here was my reply (and new question):

Thank you for the clarification.

So basically I could go to a canadian post office and use the shipping options stated in their website calculator but I would not be able to print off those same options on paypal?

If thats the case what a pain. Most of my listings have been calculated through canada post website since the ebay listing calculator hasnt worked for me for months. I think its a browser issue since I cannot print my paypal shipping labels on chrome or internet and it only works on safari. Maybe I need to see is safari will work for ebay listing shipping calculator???

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

No. You cannot use those services with the measurements that you gave if you go to the post office. If you look at the CP site, it will show you the min/max dimensions for each service.   Paypal and ebay are using the correct dimensions, the CP calculator is incorrect in this case.

Using a different browser would not make a difference with the ebay shipping calculator.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I answered on the other thread but will copy and paste my answer here and ask the mod to delete that thread or at least close it.

No. You cannot use those services with the measurements that you gave if you go to the post office. If you look at the CP site, it will show you the min/max dimensions for each service.   Paypal and ebay are using the correct dimensions. The CP online calculator is incorrect in this case but I'm sure that the post office computers are correct.

Using a different browser would not make a difference with the ebay shipping calculator.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

PJ is correct. The "minimum" length is 14cm. You cannot get postage, anywhere, using 11cm. Just change the 11 to 14.
Photobucket
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Screenshot (2).png 

thats good to know if canada post calculator is incorrect! This is what I get when I enter in the dimensions and weight that is in my listing and use it for my ebay shipping options.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Screenshot (3).png

Message 20 of 27
latest reply