eBay Global shipping program?

Anybody else get invited to this?

They deal with all customs forms, etc by shipping to a US address?  Feedback is protected from low ratings etc?

What the heck are they talking about?

I said yes, and now they are going to revise all my listings.  I don't understand this nebulous program.  Can anybody sum it up gracefully?

Thank you!

There is no reasoning with the unreasonable.
Message 1 of 322
latest reply
321 REPLIES 321

The program is not available for Canadian sellers at this time.

Should it be in the future you are probably better off avoiding it at all costs.

The eBay Global Shipping Program is NOT a panacea for International shipping issues, it can be appropriate for some sellers of some merchandise to some buyers in some countries.

That's a lot of "some" and if they don't align properly your experience will likely not be good.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 322
latest reply

Uh oh, I knew there was some kinda catch.  Now to go back to eBay USA and find out how to turn the thing off!

Message 3 of 322
latest reply

oh great I cant edit the setting off

Message 4 of 322
latest reply

I think there is somewhere in your seller preferences where you can uncheck it. Sorry, haven't looked myself but I am pretty sure I read about that on one of the .com boards.

Message 5 of 322
latest reply

I am a buyer and I ran into this once and I was NOT pleased and if I wasn't then you will most likely have tons of complaints from buyers. Basically they charge you a large amount for customs etc. and the fees from this global shipping program are NOT calculated in your shipping fees. It's a huge massive surprise at the end when they add it on without any warning. I read the fine print in the auction and nowhere did it state that I was going to be charged this I only saw the shipping costs so I actually had to politely ask the seller to cancel my purchase (the first and only time I've done that) because the price ended up being way more than I could afford. I wouldn't do it if I were you. You may get lots of complaints as a result.

Message 6 of 322
latest reply

They deal with all customs forms, etc by shipping to a US address?  Feedback is protected from low ratings etc?

How are they telling you that FB is protected from low ratings?

I would have thought that this system is a sure way to get ratings trashed.

Just wondering.

Message 7 of 322
latest reply

From what I have read here, you want to stay as far away as you can from this program. All I can foresee, is major grief for sellers and severely trashed DSRs.

Message 8 of 322
latest reply

I have my address located in Canada. And when I list on dotCOM, I have a message telling me I can't use the Global shipping program because I am not located in the US. How were you able to use it?

With that said, even if it was available, I would not enroll at any cost!!

Message 9 of 322
latest reply

I got subjected to this as a buyer only today.

I watched those customs charges appear and disappear from the page (as well as the Global Shipping advisory) several times, and took screenshots.  At one point, it said it would $3.64 (estimated on current bid), then the next, it said it would be calculated at the auction end and showed no amount.  I took screenshots of it changing throughout the auction.   You can see the time changes and the import charges disappearing and reappearing in my photo below *(just a rough copy/paste here)

As an additional FYI, several problems -

Canada customs doesn't always charge import/customs/tax - often for items under $20-30 I pay nothing.

Today is Feb 7, 2013, and this is listed as PRIORITY INTERNATIONAL shipping (which at first looks VERY much like USPS's Priority International.  But this Pitney Bowes one tells me not to expect my package until Feb 22 to March 6 - WHAT WHAT WHAT???

Two to 4 weeks?? How is that in ANY way a priority service?

I can advise as a buyer that I will now be watching for this crap, and won't bid on an item using this service. I'll contact the seller directly and request trackable USPS options.

Message 10 of 322
latest reply

I watched those customs charges appear and disappear from the page (as well as the Global Shipping advisory) several times, and took screenshots. 

On the screenshots that were showing the Global Shipping advisory and customs amount, it looks like you were on .com.The other 2 screenshots appear to be from .ca which doesn't show the amount or the big advisory. That's one of the reasons why so many Canadians are shocked when they find out about the extra charges...it isn't very noticeable on .ca.

Message 11 of 322
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another carrot from eBay trying to pull us (horses) into their another insane ideas like this one, and the same with returns.  I decline although I get invite to my store and non store but I declined as I don't like them to control my business.  And what is worse they offer us 50% off the FVF for a limited time.  When I see "for a limited time", I knew it is going to be grief for some sellers to sign them up. 

Amazing how eBay has been working hard than bees thinking up something insane ideas like this one to make our lives hell and more work and for what? and for no $$$.  NO thanks eBay!!

Message 12 of 322
latest reply

Please explain this to me, What are we gaining with this GSP ?

There has to be some type of advantage for buyer & sellers, or am i just not seeing it.

Message 13 of 322
latest reply

Please explain this to me, What are we gaining with this GSP ?

There has to be some type of advantage for buyer & sellers, or am i just not seeing it.

I think that some U.S. sellers will now sell internationally because the risk of INR's is minimized as they only have to send the item to another location in the U.S. rather than sending it out of the country. Many U.S. sellers are paranoid about risks of selling internationally. So sellers would benefit by selling more (maybe) and buyers would have more access to items that they might not have been able to buy before the seller joined global shipping.

Also, some buyers might see it as a bonus knowing what they are going to pay ahead of time....especially if they don't realize that they may not pay anything if shipped directly from the seller by USPS

Can you tell that I'm grasping at straws here? lol

Message 14 of 322
latest reply

I can see a lot of benefits to the GSP.

I hope that Canadian and US sellers line up and subscribe to it.

As long as it doesn't turn buyers off of ebay altogether (and IMO that danger does exist and it's a very real one)...............

Then it should mean that those sellers who do subscribe are no longer any real competition for the rest of us.

Message 15 of 322
latest reply

We always grasp at straws PJ.

Comes from me being a Bomber fan & you being a Rider fan.

Jury is still out with my friendly US & Canadian competitors. None of them have signed up so far.

I will probably follow their lead when & if it happens.

Message 16 of 322
latest reply

enjoyabletreasures4u
Community Member

I am actually very angry about this.I am in Canada and tried to buy something from a seller that has this Global shipping.I actually refused to buy and went to Etsy to buy same product.Seller had a listing for the product,Shipping to Canada which was high but I excepted and understood BUT there was an extra hidden charge related to this Global shipping which I would ONLY find out at CHECKOUT.I asked if they new percentage etc and no info.Why should a buyer have to FIRST commit to buying and then have extra hidden expenses?All they told me was that it was Customs duties.Why do I have to pay in the USA customs and Not at the destination like before?I will NOT BUY from anyone that has that program.

Best of luck.

Message 17 of 322
latest reply

This happened to me this week as well.

30$ auction

13.67$ shipping price listed,

and when I went to checkout there was another 10.99$ added on for 'import fees'

I have NEVER paid duty on any smaller priced items purchased thru ebay.  It's absolute crap and another way for Ebay to squeeze every last penny from buyers and sellers!

when I emailed the seller about it, she had no idea about the extra charge.  She was going to decline this method of the global shipping from now on.

2 days later, a family member purchased a 50$ item off ebay and there was a 20$ import fee added on at checkout!

INSANE!

Message 18 of 322
latest reply

thanks, never noticed my two pages were opened between ca and com.  at least whichever one i ened on let me bid at the last second, and not sign into the opposite one.

i have found no place to enter my tracking number on the pitney bowes site without opening account - don't suppose you are anone might have a pb tracking link for us poor third party purchasers (non pitney bowes account holders/shippers)?

Message 19 of 322
latest reply

Do you mean to check the location of your item? Wouldn't you just enter the tracking number at the USPS, UPS, Fed Ex site...depending on how the item was shipped?

Message 20 of 322
latest reply