January 13th 2016 Weekly Session

Happy 2016 everyone!

Welcome to the first weekly session of 2016. This thread will remain open until tomorrow, I'll come visit it periodically until then.

Fire away!

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: January 13th 2016 Weekly Session

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Reading the US discussion Boards today.

They are being told that on an International return, if you can't send a return label or if you don't send the refund shipping up front to the buyer, and the buyer asks Ebay to step in, Ebay will issue the refund to the buyer with no return.

So, buyer asks for return money and gets it but does not return, seller is screwed or if Ebay steps in, seller is out merchandise and money.

Is this actually true. If so, why would any one sell internationally?

Another brilliant, not, Ebay solution to screw sellers if it is true!

If a buyer asks for a return and the seller is on the hook for return shipping, and the seller sends them money for the return shipping, the buyer is expected to ship the item back. If they don't do that, eBay makes a decision against the buyer (buyer loses the case, seller is off the hook).

and what happens to the money the seller sent to the buyer?????

It should get back to the seller as the transaction just becomes a completed transaction like any other.

Is Ebay going to take the money the seller sent the buyer for return shipping from the buyer's account and return it back to the seller?

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Reading the US discussion Boards today.

They are being told that on an International return, if you can't send a return label or if you don't send the refund shipping up front to the buyer, and the buyer asks Ebay to step in, Ebay will issue the refund to the buyer with no return.

So, buyer asks for return money and gets it but does not return, seller is screwed or if Ebay steps in, seller is out merchandise and money.

Is this actually true. If so, why would any one sell internationally?

Another brilliant, not, Ebay solution to screw sellers if it is true!

If a buyer asks for a return and the seller is on the hook for return shipping, and the seller sends them money for the return shipping, the buyer is expected to ship the item back. If they don't do that, eBay makes a decision against the buyer (buyer loses the case, seller is off the hook).

and what happens to the money the seller sent to the buyer?????

It should get back to the seller as the transaction just becomes a completed transaction like any other.

Is Ebay going to take the money the seller sent the buyer for return shipping from the buyer's account and return it back to the seller?

I don't know the answer to that, which is why I used the word "should". I have reached out to a contact who should know and will update the thread when I get the answer.

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

Hi Raphael.  The buyer did not ask me if this shipping arrangement was OK with me.  He purchased the item with a US address and it was only after he paid and I shipped that he told me it was going to  Kazakhstan.  I didn't know that it was being forwarded when he purchased the item.  I shouldn't have a mark against me in this case.  I didn't know and he didn't tell me until after I shipped. 

Also when I check out the addresses I am shipping to they are freight forwarding outlets and I do not know when the person lives. 

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

Good evening and Happy New Year. Four quick questions, with apologies as I realize I am coming to the table late in the game:

1. Is there any possible way that time of payment can be recorded on the sales record for an item sold and subsequently paid? This is critical information for sellers who have SAME-DAY specified as a handling time. Under the new rules, a payment sent one minute before the same-day dispatch cut-off time is an automatic defect if the notice of payment email from paypal arrives a minute after the same-day shipping deadline and the seller doesn't get their acceptance scan done on the necessary date. Sellers need the precise moment an order is paid indicated somewhere in the Selling Manager. This is essential information for same-day shippers like me. Is there a setting somewhere that I am overlooking? Paypal emails are not always a reliable indicator of payments made. 

2. Why is our EBAY.CA Sales Data given in USD? If the item is listed and sold in CAD on ebay.ca then why should I have to look at the USD value? I can’t do a comparative analysis of my 2015 sales against 2014 sales because the currency conversion rate fluctuates: the dollar values don’t reflect my performance at all.

3. What is the reason that my ‘FOUND A BETTER PRICE’ RETURN REQUEST from ebay.com registered with the Resolution Centre as ‘SNAD’? As such, it froze my funds which, obviously, implies I did something wrong. As it turns out, the buyer decided against his Return anyway and I was able to close the request by calling ebay BUT I don’t see the reason this was categorized as Significantly Not as Described when it was about filed through returns to be about pricing. I don't control the alleged price other sellers set for their similar items. 

4. To whom can I report a technical problem with browser I'm using and the long Sell Your Item form? I'm unable to highlight text in the Item Description without the page being hijacked, and cannot alter item price or listing duration on relist 9 times out of ten. It's a major time-waster to have to workaround this. 

Thank you,

Maureen 

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

A few weeks ago I asked you if there was going to be a minimum number of 'late' shipments before it would affect our status---similar to the system now where we are allowed to have 5 defects from different buyers.  I believe that you replied that there had been a decision regarding a minimum in the U.S. but the discussion was still going on for Canadian sellers. I still haven't heard anything about this on the U.S boards so is there still going to be a minimum and has the one for global requirements been decided yet?

Will there also be a minimum set for the seller cancelled transaction/unresolved claim defects?

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

Hi Raphel,

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Thanks Pierre. I'll reply here as well as on that thread to make sure musicyouneed sees it.

@musicyouneed wrote:

I have to go out (taking Parents to Dr) can someone post this to the weekly board hour question.  It would be appreciated.

Hello Raphael,

I am having an issue with the new measurement: delivery on time.  I ship light packet so there is no tracking.

On Oct 17/15, I sold a CD to a buyer – Item 191712527304.  The buyer was having the item shipped to the US were it would then be reshipped to him in Kazakhstan, where he lives and works.  I don’t ship to Kazakhstan but I do ship to the US.   I shipped out the next business day on Oct 19/15.  In Dec, they buyer left me positive feedback stating "Received quickly and in good condition all the way to Kazakhstan!".  He left me 5’s for all the DSR’s.  Where the problem is:  When he goes to leave feedback, ebay asks the buyer whether he received the CD within the dates (as set by ebay for shipping from Canada to the US).  Of course he can only answer yes or no and he answers No because, it was not delivered to him in Kazakhstan within the 2 week period allowed for US shipments.  So I got dinged for a late shipment.  I don’t feel this is fair.  Buyer was happy, he just wasn’t aware that answering that question “Did you get the item by (this date)? with a No would cause me a problem. 

I know that in the last 2 months I have sent several CD’s to addresses in the US which forward them on to countries I don’t ship to.   When they go to leave feedback it is going to ask whether they received the CD within the time period from Canada to the US.   I can just see this becoming an issue for me.

I called ebay and they were not any help for me.  What can I do?  Why should I be penalized here, I don’t feel this is fair.  

The thing to keep in mind is that by agreeing to ship untracked to a forwarding address, a seller exposes themselves to some risk. How could eBay know that the shipping address used by the buyer isn't their true shipping address? We provide sellers with tools to allow or restrict shipping to specified countries, if the seller decides to circumvent their own stated terms, they do so at their own risk.

My advice would be to warn any buyer located outside of the regions where a seller ships and who asks to use a forwarding address in this manner to be mindful of the on time shipping question at feedback, or to always use tracking in such situations.

With that said, if the buyer did not ask if this shipping arrangement was okay before buying, and still replied no to the on time shipping question, it would be different and I believe, possible to appeal the defect. If this is the case with this example, please let me know.

Hi Raphael.  The buyer did not ask me if this shipping arrangement was OK with me.  He purchased the item buy it now, with a US address and it was only after he paid and I shipped that he told me it was going to  Kazakhstan.  I didn't know that it was being forwarded when he purchased the item.  I shouldn't have a mark against me in this case.  I didn't know and he didn't tell me until after I shipped.   How can I appeal this?

Others also do not tell me, however, when I looked at where they are located it shows Chile on one and the other Philippines on the other.   They have a US address for shipping.  One buyer I asked if he was having it sent to him in the Philippines and he said "No"  the address in the US is where he lives.  He must be awfully small to live in a postal box.  What do I do in that case?  

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Raphael.  The buyer did not ask me if this shipping arrangement was OK with me.  He purchased the item with a US address and it was only after he paid and I shipped that he told me it was going to  Kazakhstan.  I didn't know that it was being forwarded when he purchased the item.  I shouldn't have a mark against me in this case.  I didn't know and he didn't tell me until after I shipped. 

Also when I check out the addresses I am shipping to they are freight forwarding outlets and I do not know when the person lives. 

As I already posted in the other thread that this was in, this is the info I wanted to see.

the item was shipped to the address of record and arrived within the required time-frame. The fact that it was forwarded means nothing and the ding received should be "IMMEDIATELY REMOVED"

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

Also, can you tell us when the rest of the countries served by Canada Post Tracked Packet will be added to Calculated Shipping? We're still missing the most recent four. It's been about eight weeks since I raised it, I think. Thanks. 

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi musicyouneed,

Thanks for these details. I have brought your case to the Standards team for review and this is being discussed as I type this. I'll let you know what comes out.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

Hi Maureen,

@mjwl2006 wrote:

1. Is there any possible way that time of payment can be recorded on the sales record for an item sold and subsequently paid? This is critical information for sellers who have SAME-DAY specified as a handling time. Under the new rules, a payment sent one minute before the same-day dispatch cut-off time is an automatic defect if the notice of payment email from paypal arrives a minute after the same-day shipping deadline and the seller doesn't get their acceptance scan done on the necessary date. Sellers need the precise moment an order is paid indicated somewhere in the Selling Manager. This is essential information for same-day shippers like me. Is there a setting somewhere that I am overlooking? Paypal emails are not always a reliable indicator of payments made. 

Let me start by specifying that missing your same day shipping deadline does not mean an automatic defect. All it means is that the acceptance scan would not qualify for the shipment to register as on time. That shipment would now have 2 more chances to be marked as on time: there is the delivery scan and if that one is late or doesn't happen, the last one is the question at feedback.

Regarding the time at which eBay records the payment as completed, I believe there is a project to show sellers by which day an item needs to get shipped based on their stated handling time. This is at the scoping stage right now and we don't have an ETA for this yet.

@mjwl2006 wrote:

2. Why is our EBAY.CA Sales Data given in USD? If the item is listed and sold in CAD on ebay.ca then why should I have to look at the USD value? I can’t do a comparative analysis of my 2015 sales against 2014 sales because the currency conversion rate fluctuates: the dollar values don’t reflect my performance at all.

Can you specify what data you are looking at please? How do you obtain it?

@mjwl2006 wrote:

3. What is the reason that my ‘FOUND A BETTER PRICE’ RETURN REQUEST from ebay.com registered with the Resolution Centre as ‘SNAD’? As such, it froze my funds which, obviously, implies I did something wrong. As it turns out, the buyer decided against his Return anyway and I was able to close the request by calling ebay BUT I don’t see the reason this was categorized as Significantly Not as Described when it was about filed through returns to be about pricing. I don't control the alleged price other sellers set for their similar items. 

Could you provide me with the item number or return ID so I can take a look?

@mjwl2006 wrote:

4. To whom can I report a technical problem with browser I'm using and the long Sell Your Item form? I'm unable to highlight text in the Item Description without the page being hijacked, and cannot alter item price or listing duration on relist 9 times out of ten. It's a major time-waster to have to workaround this. 

May I ask for more details for this as well? What do you mean by "the page being hijacked?" If you could also include your browser details (which browser, version, etc.) it would be great. In the meantime I'll try to replicate the relisting issues you brought up.

Message 30 of 37
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hi Maureen,

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Let me start by specifying that missing your same day shipping deadline does not mean an automatic defect. All it means is that the acceptance scan would not qualify for the shipment to register as on time. That shipment would now have 2 more chances to be marked as on time: there is the delivery scan and if that one is late or doesn't happen, the last one is the question at feedback.

Regarding the time at which eBay records the payment as completed, I believe there is a project to show sellers by which day an item needs to get shipped based on their stated handling time. This is at the scoping stage right now and we don't have an ETA for this yet.

I'm specifically speaking of tracked packages for which the on-time acceptance scan is an issue.  Since this is the only ACTUAL aspect of the transaction metric over which sellers have control, I would think it would be in every seller's best interest to ensure it happened on time. I have opened 20+ tickets with Canada Post since December 3 for TRACKED items delivered late or not at all. Obviously, I wouldn't count on the carrier to do what needs to be done here to protect my ebay seller status which is the reason I implore ebay to give us better data with which to work.

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Can you specify what data you are looking at please? How do you obtain it?

All of it. From the sales dollars in the Seller Dashboard to the ones found in Sales Reports. None of it has actually ever been 'sold' in USD since everything I list is CAD on ebay.ca. I don't mean the currency on display, I'm speaking of the analytic data provided by ebay.

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Could you provide me with the item number or return ID so I can take a look?

Certainly and thanks. It's RETURN ID 5021275168.

xxxxxxxxxxxx
16-Dec-15
Found better price
EscalatedC $34.79
--
19-Dec-15

In the Resolution Centre, meanwhile, it says:

ANGRY BIRDS STAR WARS...
(231572224719)
View purchased item
This item doesn't match the description in your listing.C $46.80Dec 30, 2015xxxxxxxxxxxx Closed by Customer Support.See details

@mjwl2006 wrote:

May I ask for more details for this as well? What do you mean by "the page being hijacked?" If you could also include your browser details (which browser, version, etc.) it would be great. In the meantime I'll try to replicate the relisting issues you brought up.

Safari Version 9.0.2 (9537.86.3.9.1 
As soon as you highlight text a block of text specifically with the movement of the mouse or try to edit existing text in a field, it jumps to the bottom of the page OR provides an intermittent spinning ball which wipes out the data from that field on multiple occasions. I know it's a browser incompatibility of some sort, another user(s) complain of it too on the Discussion Board. 
Message 31 of 37
latest reply

(My apologies if my responses above are difficult to discern; they are included in the text and in boldface within.)

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

A few weeks ago I asked you if there was going to be a minimum number of 'late' shipments before it would affect our status---similar to the system now where we are allowed to have 5 defects from different buyers.  I believe that you replied that there had been a decision regarding a minimum in the U.S. but the discussion was still going on for Canadian sellers. I still haven't heard anything about this on the U.S boards so is there still going to be a minimum and has the one for global requirements been decided yet?

Will there also be a minimum set for the seller cancelled transaction/unresolved claim defects?

Hi pjcdn,

I have reached out to the Standards team to get the update on that. Stay tuned.

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Also, can you tell us when the rest of the countries served by Canada Post Tracked Packet will be added to Calculated Shipping? We're still missing the most recent four. It's been about eight weeks since I raised it, I think. Thanks. 

It's still on my list. I have reached out to the Shipping team for an update. I'm expecting this to get updated in the next couple of weeks since we are just now coming out of a code freeze (this happens every year before and during the holidays rush).

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

What is happening with the Ebay error of moving sold items into unsold instead of sold, being relisted as a result, and getting defects for no stock, and having to cancel for Ebay's error. I have emailed you direct earlier and brought it up, previously.

These defects become serious as we have only a few we can take before losing TRS or worse, being suspended.

Hello dutchman,

I still have that on my tracking list. I'll make sure the team is on top of it. In the meantime, if you see that happen again can you quickly send me the item number? It would greatly help if I could provide the team with a "live" example of the issue. Thanks!

Sorry, that will not cut it. I sent you the details including item numbers prior to the New Year.  I would like an answer, not more stalling like the last time when I was told the information was too old for Ebay to look into (conveniently).

I guess sellers will just have to mark mailed, then refund when claim for INR opened, so they don't get defects due to Ebay screw ups. If this is what Ebay wants, this is what Ebay will get. 

I am getting very sick and tired of Ebay problems and getting punished for them and of course if it happens enough, Ebay will save their 20% or better yet, get rid ofm another seller. YES, I AM VERY PO'D

I'm sorry you're PO'ed, but that's all I can say for now about this. You are free to provide additional examples if/when you see them, or not, I can't force you either way. But if you did it would help me make this move forward much faster, which I understand is ultimately what you want... Up to you.

I just sent you 2 more by private email from today

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I just sent you 2 more by private email from today

Got them. Thank you.

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

Everyone,

I have to close the thread for now but I'll still come back to add my response to Maureen as well as to update the posts where I said I would.

Thanks to all for participating and catch you next week!

Message 37 of 37
latest reply