Negative feedback for non paying bidders

tkheatrocks
Community Member

Do anybody feel that the negative feeback feature should put back in place for non paying bidders?

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

scifan57
Community Member
eBay removed the ability of sellers go leave negative feedback for buyers several years ago and isn't likely to reinstate it any time soon.
Message 2 of 85
latest reply

It makes no sense for sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers. None whatsoever.  It can only drive buyers away from eBay and all sellers lose in the process.

There is a system in place to take care of non paying bidders. sellers should use it.

Message 3 of 85
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
Exactly,buyers would certainly avoid any seller with a history of giving negative feedback.Some sellers used to use negative feedback as a form of retaliation for receiving negative feedback,deserved or not.
Message 4 of 85
latest reply

EBay should give out negatives to buyers who fail to pay.

Not the sellers

Message 5 of 85
latest reply

Exactly,buyers would certainly avoid any seller with a history of giving negative feedback.Some sellers used to use negative feedback as a form of retaliation for receiving negative feedback,deserved or not.

I  just had a non paying bidder leave me my first neg in almost 5 years as retaliation for opening an unpaid item dispute.  I bent over backwards to please the customer and I absolutely refuse to beg him for a retraction. 

Message 6 of 85
latest reply

"Exactly,buyers would certainly avoid any seller with a history of giving negative feedback.Some sellers used to use negative feedback as a form of retaliation for receiving negative feedback,deserved or not."

I guess I did that wrong and ended up putting words in scifan57's mouth...lol.  The above is what I meant to quote and the quotation in the last post is my response.

Message 7 of 85
latest reply

Westernstar...can't you get this negative feedback removed by eBay if you have closed the dispute?

Message 8 of 85
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
Negative feedback left by a non paying buyer who receives an unpaid item strike,will be removed is you request it.
Message 9 of 85
latest reply

I thought that no feedback could be exchanged if a UID was filed and closed if a buyer didn't pay.

Message 10 of 85
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
Normally no, but the buyer can leave negative feedback before the unpaid item dispute is opened which can be removed if he gets a strike.
Message 11 of 85
latest reply

EBay should give out negatives to buyers who fail to pay.

Not the sellers  -bcbeautiful

Well, they do. But they are called Strikes and they are not visible. Sellers can Block bidders with Strikes before they become buyers and cause more problems. This works well for sellers like me who use primarily Fixed Price listings.

It would be good to see those Strikes on the bidder's feedback page, like bid retractions. Actually, I would like to see requested bid cancellations too.  All are indications of a flighty mind.

And I would like to see more reasons for Bid Retractions. A bidder who retracts is a bidder who does not have to be chased down and beaten with an Unpaid Item Dispute.

Message 12 of 85
latest reply

I agree about seeing "strikes and bid retractions"  .  Why not show it....we get our neutrals and negatives on full display...why protect buyer's reputations?

Right now, they can hid behind their feedback.

Even playing field...full disclosure!

Message 13 of 85
latest reply

Westernstar...can't you get this negative feedback removed by eBay if you have closed the dispute?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the buyer paid AFTER I opened an UID and was angry because I had "made a complaint about him/her to eBay".

My point being that sometimes it is better if they don't pay and then they can't leave you negative feedback as retaliation for opening a dispute. 

I could request a retraction from the buyer but I won't.  I was extremely polite to this person and still got a neg.  I can't see him changing his mind (or her...I hate when they only give initials).

Message 14 of 85
latest reply

sweet.suki
Community Member

we, as sellers, can't just keep creating new accounts if we get negs. but buyers can! i have many buyers with 0 rating account just created on the same day as the auction.

so even if ebay allows sellers to leave negs for buyers. for buyers who get neg can just dump the account and register for a new one!

unfair!!

Message 15 of 85
latest reply

windy_mlp
Community Member

I don't know. I just had a non-paying bidder who is a very active seller. It was a surprise to me because they have such a good reputation. The case was closed today and I got my final value back (they weren't expensive auctions anyway) but I still feel like I'm owed an apology. It was an inconvenience. I think she believes that since she has such a great reputation as a seller, she can do whatever she wants to other sellers. I feel like her non-paying bidder strikes should be displayed on her profile. I can see why eBay got rid of negs for buyers but they should be suspended EVERY time they don't pay.

Message 16 of 85
latest reply

tkheatrocks
Community Member

What if they have bid on your item won the item never pay you but they're still purchasing items from others?

Message 17 of 85
latest reply

tk - I had that exact situation last week.  I closed the UID (she never paid), so my buyer got a strike, but it hasn't made one bit of difference, she's still happily shopping (and paying other sellers). She's got 249 for feedback, so not a newbie.

I know we can set our seller preferences to not accept bids from buyers who have 2 or 3 or 4 strikes, but that is PER MONTH. I would like to block bidders who have 1 or 2 UID strikes PER YEAR.

Message 18 of 85
latest reply

You can set your preferences like I have;

Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s)

Message 19 of 85
latest reply

Thank you, Pierre! I will change all of my listings (thank heavens for bulk editing)

Message 20 of 85
latest reply