Canada Post shipping to the UK -- some discount comparisions 2017

It looks like Canada Post is tweaking their Tracked packet rates with the over-the-counter getting a big boost so they can offer higher discounts (at least that's what it looks like to me).

I had a shipment to the UK yesterday so I tested some different options in the paypal calculator for comparison to the Canada Post calculator.

Some common rates to the UK (with January 31 fuel surcharge)

Over the counter vs Canada Post basic online discount vs PayPal

000-250g .. 10.27 vs 10.11 vs same .. Small packet (air)
000-250g .. 40.30 vs 28.30 vs 33.38 .. Tracked Int'l packet

201-300g .. 13.46 vs same vs same .. Light Packet
251-500g .. 19.75 vs 19.46 vs same .. Small packet (air)
251-500g .. 51.92 vs 39.50 vs 43.14 .. Tracked Int'l packet

500g-1kg .. 19.36 vs 19.26 vs same .. Small packet (surface)
500g-1kg .. 38.72 vs 38.15 vs same .. Small packet (air)
500g-1kg .. 45.63 vs 42.48 vs  n/a  .. International parcel (surface)
500g-1kg .. 63.23 vs 53.12 vs 52.83 .. Tracked Int'l packet

Light packet - no discounts

Small packet - small discount from Canada Post, none from eBay/PayPal

Tracked packet - both offer discounts, but you need to compare since depending on weight, one may be better than the other. Regardless: never buy tracked international over the counter.

My head aches....

-..-

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Thank you for posting that.

I had no idea that CPO discounts could be greater than PP discounts because every time I've used the CPO site to buy labels rates were higher.

Of course it makes sense that CPO discounts "should" be greater than PP discounts, but this it the first time it looks like they actually are in some cases.

Moreover, it looks like the difference is signifiant.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

I noticed last week! It's VERY exciting for me especially since Paypal Shipping neglected to ever update those new Tracked Packet destinations (like Brazil) from the last batch of countries added. So long, Paypal Shipping! While Tracked Packet USA isn't much of a difference, this will definitely move me into CPC EST for all my international tracked packet postage purchases and put me one step closer to phasing out paypal shipping and pitney bowes completely. The fewer cooks with spoons in the soup.....

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

It looks like Canada Post is tweaking their Tracked packet rates with the over-the-counter getting a big boost so they can offer higher discounts (at least that's what it looks like to me).

___________________________________________________________________________________ 

Thanks for all the work involved in recording and posting those rates.  Very illuminating.  

However, this makes no sense to me if Canada Post is trying to increase eBay and other online sellers' use of Canada Post's services.  Why would Canada Post favour its own site for Tracked Packet when it must know that it could boost sales of Tracked Packet far more by providing larger discounts on the convenient service offered through Paypal, which is much better integrated with eBay than Canada Post will ever be? 

I've used Paypal labelling on another venue on which I sell, and it's just as easy and seamless there.  I also buy my Paypal labels with my Paypal $USD, another convenience and money-saver not available through Canada Post's labelling, at least not that I'm aware of.  

I don't know about you, but the last time I had to use CPC's EST labelling, it was like getting through a maze -- convoluted, lengthy, slow as molasses in January, frustrating and cumbersome.  And everything has to be input manually, making for a higher risk of error.  Do it a few times and you might soon be looking for alternative carriers if you're lucky enough to live in an area that offers them. 

It might arguably be worth the pain for the ca. $5.00 savings, but then again, why wouldn't Canada Post use its higher counter rates to subsidize the go-to service that eBay and other online sellers want to use (Paypal labels)?  This seems, from a corporate marketing viewpoint anyway, to be the equivalent of competing against your own best products and ignoring your easiest means of sales.  I'm baffled.  Maybe CPC and Paypal had a little tiff. 

On the other side of the coin, I just sent a parcel via Tracked Packet to the U.S. that weighed 830 grams, and it cost $17.75 (Paypal rate, I didn't check CPC).  The Small Packet service for the same parcel would have been $16.82, a difference of only $0.93, and for that I got tracking and $100 insurance.  That one was a no-brainer.  

Another Tracked Packet item to the U.S. this week was $16.58 for 490 grams -- the Small Packet rate would have been $11.29 (a $5.29 difference), but in that particular case I wanted the tracking and paid for it myself I didn't check on whether the price would have jumped to the $17.75 level had the parcel weighed 510 grams, which (as above) would have made the price difference between the two services negligible.  

I haven't checked CPC's EST rates for these US services, but I'd say that even within Paypal it's worth comparing Small Packet USA and Light Packet USA rates before purchasing a label, especially in today's delivery-sensitive, tracking-obsessed eBayland.  Also, given the rates you've quoted above, it may be that there are destinations or weights where International Tracked Packet makes more sense than Small Packet.

Migraine-worthy indeed. Woman Frustrated

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Sorry... edit: 

In that last paragraph above, I meant to say: "...that even within Paypal it's worth comparing Small Packet USA and Tracked Packet USA rates before purchasing a label...", not "Light Packet USA". 

(The caffeine hasn't taken effect yet today). 

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

I used to very dislike EST but I've gotten used to it. There are more steps, more pages to navigate, and fewer fields auto-filled, but I'm okay with it now that I've used it a few times. Best of all, a seller can actually purchase Tracked Packet to all 31 countries where it's offered, instead of only a few with PayPal.
Message 6 of 40
latest reply

From the numbers you gave, I see that over the counter rates and PayPal rates differ by 8.3% for Tracked Packet. The discount is supposed to be 14% from over the counter rates last year. This year eBay made an announcement that PayPal shipping was available for eBay sales through eBay only and the discounts changed.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/01/16/7939/

You’ll also continue to benefit from eBay’s negotiated Canada Post rates, which include 18% off Expedited Parcel within Canada, and 15% off Expedited Parcel and Tracked packet USA

The rates were 18% for Expedited Parcel USA and 14% for Tracked Packet USA. No mention of International rates.

The 8.3% as seen from real usage of Tracked Packet International above is nowhere near the old 14%. Has the discount changed to 8 or 9% or is it another example of eBay/PayPal/PitneyBowes programming incompetence when implementing PayPal shipping changes?

000-250g .. 40.30 vs 28.30 vs 33.38 .. Tracked Int'l packet > 33.38/40.30 = 8.28%
251-500g .. 51.92 vs 39.50 vs 43.14 .. Tracked Int'l packet > 43.14/51.92 = 8.31%
500g-1kg .. 63.23 vs 53.12 vs 52.83 .. Tracked Int'l packet > 52.83/63.23 = 8.36%

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

This year eBay made an announcement that PayPal shipping was available for eBay sales through eBay only and the discounts changed.

That's new to me.  

I'm thinking that this only applies to items listed on eBay.ca, is that right?

The only time I check into eBay.ca is when I come here and I can't seem to be able to navigate my way around .ca.

I had no idea that the two sites are as segregated as they are.

Is that normal or am I missing something?

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

That is a very good question. We need clarification from ebay about this. 

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

I rarely use parcel rates for my items, and mostly use discounted postage stamps for obvious reasons, but when I do sell something on dotCOM that has to go parcel, I just go directly to Paypal and buy the shipping label from the buyer's payment there.

The dotCOM site only supports USPS (and possible US couriers). It no longer directs to Canada Post.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

000-250g .. 40.30 vs 28.30 vs 33.38 .. Tracked Int'l packet > 33.38/40.30 = 8.28%
251-500g .. 51.92 vs 39.50 vs 43.14 .. Tracked Int'l packet > 43.14/51.92 = 8.31%
500g-1kg .. 63.23 vs 53.12 vs 52.83 .. Tracked Int'l packet > 52.83/63.23 = 8.36%

Your percentage calculation formula is wrong. It should be:

000-250g .. 40.30 vs 28.30 vs 33.38 .. Tracked Int'l packet > (40.30-33.38)/40.30 = 16.9%
251-500g .. 51.92 vs 39.50 vs 43.14 .. Tracked Int'l packet > (51.92-43.14)/51.92 = 16.9%
500g-1kg .. 63.23 vs 53.12 vs 52.83 .. Tracked Int'l packet > (63.23-52.83)/63.23 = 16.4%

So actual discount range is 16.4-16.9%

-..-

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

Since we're talking percentages, a couple of actual non-UK examples from this week:

over counter vs CPC online minimum vs paypal

Regular parcel (Canada)
29x24x22cm, 0.87kg .. 18.65 vs 17.10 vs 15.47 ..  paypal discount = 17.0%

Expedited parcel (USA)
32x24x5cm, 0.73kg .. 24.19 vs 21.66 vs 19.59 ..  paypal discount = 19.0%

-..-

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

000-250g .. 40.30 vs 28.30 vs 33.38 .. Tracked Int'l packet > (40.30-33.38)/40.30 = 16.9%
251-500g .. 51.92 vs 39.50 vs 43.14 .. Tracked Int'l packet > (51.92-43.14)/51.92 = 16.9%
500g-1kg .. 63.23 vs 53.12 vs 52.83 .. Tracked Int'l packet > (63.23-52.83)/63.23 = 16.4%

But the CPC web prices (in red) are still cheaper than Paypal for the two lower weight rates, correct?  Since Tracked Packet prices differ depending on international destination, I'm wondering if these discount levels apply across the board?  One more reason to double-check the alternatives before using Paypal first (although forever checking discounts in itself could become an enormous waste of time).  

Again, I don't understand why CPC wouldn't be using its best and most efficient outlet (Paypal labels) to increase business from online sellers.  These CPC EST discounts will entice business away from its Paypal platform.  I have to wonder why.  Or maybe there is no method to their madness and it's just short-sighted, poor management?

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

Why short-sighted or poor management? We have no idea how their partnership works or whether it does at all. I've never known PayPal shipping and Canada Post to have anything good to say about the other when I've called to report a problem with a label. It seems smarter to me to eliminate the middle-man and deal directly with one's own customers, the sellers.
Message 14 of 40
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

This year eBay made an announcement that PayPal shipping was available for eBay sales through eBay only and the discounts changed.

That's new to me.  

I'm thinking that this only applies to items listed on eBay.ca, is that right?

The only time I check into eBay.ca is when I come here and I can't seem to be able to navigate my way around .ca.

I had no idea that the two sites are as segregated as they are.

Is that normal or am I missing something?

No, it is supposed to apply to all listings but I haven't noticed any change so far. I am able to print labels directly on PayPal for a listing from either site and receive the same discount.   If it is eventually set up so that you have to go through eBay you will have to go to .ca to do the label...it doesn't matter where the listing is from.

Message 15 of 40
latest reply

I don't know how PP fits into the equation as PB manages the shipping label but I'm sure that eBay gets a percentage of each label so as you suggested CP can give a larger discount if they don't have to pay a middleman.  But some of the discounts are quite high so there should be room for eBay and us to share in the discounts.

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

-..-

Wow,  I made a really bad math mistake. I know better. Don't know what I was thinking. I am embarrassed. LOL. Thanks for the correction.

It would be nice if eBay would confirm what the discounts are for the PayPal shipping.

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

"poco" - The results are essentially the same.  Your calculations show the percentage of 100%(the counter rate) that is paid after the discount is applied, only the decimal point should be one place to the right - so 82.8%, 83.1% and 83.6% OF the counter rate.

"ypdc_dennis" has set his arithmetic up so that his calculations show the percentage of the discount taken off the counter rate - so 16.9%, 16.9% and 16.4% OFF the counter rate.

The only difference is in the rounding-up-or-down, basically.  I always do the calculation the way you do, the "lazy" way since it eliminates the subtraction at the beginning.

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

"poco" - The results are essentially the same.  Your calculations show the percentage of 100%(the counter rate) that is paid after the discount is applied, only the decimal point should be one place to the right - so 82.8%, 83.1% and 83.6% OF the counter rate.

"ypdc_dennis" has set his arithmetic up so that his calculations show the percentage of the discount taken off the counter rate - so 16.9%, 16.9% and 16.4% OFF the counter rate.

The only difference is in the rounding-up-or-down, basically.  I always do the calculation the way you do, the "lazy" way since it eliminates the subtraction at the beginning.

I realized what I did after ypd_denis posted the correction what I did wrong. I was rushed at the time posting so did not think it through and one never sees their own obvious mistakes!

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
It seems smarter to me to eliminate the middle-man and deal directly with one's own customers, the sellers.

Which would be terrific if Canada Post could integrate its services seamlessly with eBay to provide a quick and easy way for eBay sellers to create labels with good discounts.  Oh wait, they already have that ability, and now they're undercutting themselves and pulling eBay sellers away from the one place that makes label purchasing fast and simple.  I can only hope there's an actual reason or strategy behind this, and that it isn't the kind of dumb oversight so typical of Canada Post over the decades.  

From my own point of view as an eBay seller, convenience, speed and integration with eBay may often trump (pardon!) a couple of dollars in savings.  But I imagine many sellers will prefer to opt for the cheaper rate every time, driving more and more of them away from the Paypal/Pitney Bowes service.  

As I said earlier, the question is why CPC would want to do this, and the only explanation I can think of -- if there is any explanation other than poor management -- is that Paypal/Pitney Bowes and CPC are somehow at odds with each other.  Your experience with their mutually antagonistic customer service representatives might be telling in this regard. 

Message 20 of 40
latest reply