Canada Post shipping to the UK -- some discount comparisions 2017

It looks like Canada Post is tweaking their Tracked packet rates with the over-the-counter getting a big boost so they can offer higher discounts (at least that's what it looks like to me).

I had a shipment to the UK yesterday so I tested some different options in the paypal calculator for comparison to the Canada Post calculator.

Some common rates to the UK (with January 31 fuel surcharge)

Over the counter vs Canada Post basic online discount vs PayPal

000-250g .. 10.27 vs 10.11 vs same .. Small packet (air)
000-250g .. 40.30 vs 28.30 vs 33.38 .. Tracked Int'l packet

201-300g .. 13.46 vs same vs same .. Light Packet
251-500g .. 19.75 vs 19.46 vs same .. Small packet (air)
251-500g .. 51.92 vs 39.50 vs 43.14 .. Tracked Int'l packet

500g-1kg .. 19.36 vs 19.26 vs same .. Small packet (surface)
500g-1kg .. 38.72 vs 38.15 vs same .. Small packet (air)
500g-1kg .. 45.63 vs 42.48 vs  n/a  .. International parcel (surface)
500g-1kg .. 63.23 vs 53.12 vs 52.83 .. Tracked Int'l packet

Light packet - no discounts

Small packet - small discount from Canada Post, none from eBay/PayPal

Tracked packet - both offer discounts, but you need to compare since depending on weight, one may be better than the other. Regardless: never buy tracked international over the counter.

My head aches....

-..-

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Canada Post shipping to the UK -- some discount comparisions 2017

have also found that there is no difference in rates charged for labels - whether it be directly through PayPal or to PayPal via eBay.

Message 21 of 40
latest reply

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy labels via eBay.ca if one lists and sells the item via eBay.com?

I haven't managed to get there but maybe I'm just haven't found the way.

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

Yes, just go to .ca and click on buy shipping label. As mentioned earlier,

it doesn't matter where the item was listed.

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

Thank You PJ, but maybe I'm not understanding.

When I go to my sold items when I'm .ca it select print shipping label it bumps me over to PP.

(Oops, didn't see your earlier response until just now)

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

Right and then you print the label from there.  I don't normally click on print label in eBay as I've always gone directly to PayPal and clicked on print label there.But according to eBay, that won't be an option for long. 

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Right and then you print the label from there.  I don't normally click on print label in eBay as I've always gone directly to PayPal and clicked on print label there.But according to eBay, that won't be an option for long. 

When posters said that you can print labels directly via eBay I thought they meant that .ca has the option to print from the listing the way .com does for American sellers.

I always log into PP to print the label as well.  What do you mean that this won't be an option for long?  What's changing?

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

Poco gave the link for that annoucement in post 7.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/01/16/7939/

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

Thank you for clearing that up.  

Since I list on .com I wonder if that applies?  I've been shipping the usual way and noticed that rates went up but attributed that a CPO rate increase.

Now I wonder if I have to log into eBay.ca and go to PP in that roundabout way to get the discount even if all my business is on .com.

Instead of making things more convenient it's a step in the opposite direction, but just a small thing in any case so no biggee.

It would be nice is if eBay.ca offered the ability to print labels directly from the site the way .com does for Americans.  That way, when PP shipping is down (which is frequently) we'd have the option of shipping directly from eBay.

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

Please see post 15.

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is why everyone SHOULD use PayPal for Tracked Packet.

Message 30 of 40
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I wasn't reading it right.  Canada Post offers discounts better than PayPal, why?? 

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

Only the shadows knows. (The reason.)

But it's a new thing.
Message 32 of 40
latest reply

And only if one has and uses a business account, now called Solutions For Small Business formerly known as VentureOne.
Message 33 of 40
latest reply

I want to thank poco etc. for posting this and PJ for clearing it up.

I also want to add that very few Canadians will be aware of this new procedure.  Even when it was addressed in this thread it took a while to clear it up because I'd been doing things the old way for many many years.

As far as I can tell there was just one small transient head's up which was very easy to miss.   This type of thing is exactly why I check in here but only a handful of sellers come to this board.

I'm miffed that I missed this during the first three weeks because that cost me.  Sales have been slow so my loss wasn't a lot, but enough to annoy me.

I did notice the shipping cost increase, but since CPC is constantly increasing postage costs, I didn't look into it further.

Very few Canadians will be aware of this recent change.   eBay.ca could certainly take much better care of their Canadian sellers.

It's one small change which will cost Canadian sellers dearly and eBay.ca should be doing much more to make sure that doesn't happen.  

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

mj, since it sounds like you use the CPC website regularly, I'm wondering if you could help me figure out how to use it as well.

I've tried numerous times to figure out how to add addresses to the address book but cannot figure out any system.

The site has improved but it remains to be a very difficult site to navigate and I leave there in frustration time after time.

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

I'm happy to help but I've never used their Address Book, I simply copy and paste to their EST fields from the eBay Sales Record.
Message 36 of 40
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I want to thank poco etc. for posting this and PJ for clearing it up.

I also want to add that very few Canadians will be aware of this new procedure.  Even when it was addressed in this thread it took a while to clear it up because I'd been doing things the old way for many many years.

As far as I can tell there was just one small transient head's up which was very easy to miss.   This type of thing is exactly why I check in here but only a handful of sellers come to this board.

I'm miffed that I missed this during the first three weeks because that cost me.  Sales have been slow so my loss wasn't a lot, but enough to annoy me.

I did notice the shipping cost increase, but since CPC is constantly increasing postage costs, I didn't look into it further.

Very few Canadians will be aware of this recent change.   eBay.ca could certainly take much better care of their Canadian sellers.

It's one small change which will cost Canadian sellers dearly and eBay.ca should be doing much more to make sure that doesn't happen.  

You are welcome although I'm not certain that I did clear it up for you as I don't quite understand how this in particular cost you.  Do you have transactions that show that no discount was given when there should have been one?  As I mentionied earlier, despite the announcement I haven't noticed any change yet.  I am still receiving the same discounts by printing my labels directly from PP as I would had I gone to eBay.ca first and started printing them from there.  I don't know why the change hasn't happened but I'm not going to complain about it.  If you read the annoucement, once the change does happen, the eBay information will have to be entered if you didn't  start the label in eBay  so it should be fairly obvious that there has been a change.  

I do agree that eBay doesn't always do what they can and should fo for their sellers but I do think that in this case sellers do need to do their due diligence and check the announcements boards, 

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

Not sure what's going on then, but I keep getting different shipping costs almost every time I get an estimate using the same weight and size.

Yesterday I bought a label for expedited and cancelled the label because I wanted to log in on .ca and the cost was different.  That wasn't by a lot but this label for Xpresspost is varying by $10 dollars or so.

Also, was there CPO rate increase about 2 weeks ago? 

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

Since it takes so long to transfer the information, It would be nice to be able to save an address when you don't want to finish right away.  There is an address book but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use it.

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

Not sure what's going on then, but I keep getting different shipping costs almost every time I get an estimate using the same weight and size.

Yesterday I bought a label for expedited and cancelled the label because I wanted to log in on .ca and the cost was different.  That wasn't by a lot but this label for Xpresspost is varying by $10 dollars or so.

Also, was there CPO rate increase about 2 weeks ago? 

Yes, the parcel rates always go up in mid January. 

I don't understand why you are seeing different rates as I double checked the other day and again just now and I get the exact same shipping rate when I go directly to PayPal to print a label as when I go through eBay. Thst was true for both expedited and Xpresspost.   The label I just tested was for a a Canadian address. I don't remember if I did a comparison for US address when. Checked a few days sgree.

When you say a $10 difference for Xpresspost.......perhaps you are referring to the difference between the CP site and PayPal, not the difference between eBay and PP??   Even if PayPal was now charging us more than eBay, the eBay discount for Xpresspost is only 8 or9% so unless your postage was $100+ I don't see how the difference could be that much.

Message 40 of 40
latest reply