Someone asked if I combine shipping when it was free?

I just had a buyer ask if I do combined shipping.  I responded to him that it was free shipping and I wanted to know what he meant by that.  

I assume he is wanting me to give him a discount since he bought 2.  Well we are talking about a difference of about $1.00 between shipping them separately and together, I had to go out today to buy a large envelope costing 4 times what I paid for a smaller one.  

How do you respond to this?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

They may be asking if you ship the items together or separately. I have had experiences with some sellers that ship each individual CD/DVD/game separately, so sometimes I ask about that to sellers that I want to purchase multiple items from (if it isn't clear in their listings).

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

His email was a response to my email telling him I had shipped them today.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I would do what you did, I'd mention that they were free shipping and that I wasn't sure if I understood their question. You probably won't hear anything back.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I would not assume the buyer was finagling for a postage refund on 'free' shipping. They were probably seeking reassurance as to how many parcels to expect.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

MJW has a good point. I send every customer a message advising them that their package (parcel) is on route.

My first time note says: Thank you for your purchase and quick payment. Your parcel has been shipped out today, Monday XXXXXXX. Once the parcel arrives, I hope you will find everything satisfactory. If you are not completely pleased with this transaction, please contact me via email. I will do my very best to resolve any problem you may have. Regards, RICARMIC (Ron)

If they purchase 3 things, it says thank you for your 3 purchases but still has the word parcel.... that seems to be clear to folks as I don't get asked how many packages to expect.

Note that if I do ship in more than one envelope/box, I change the wording to "parcels have" and I also add specific PS wording afterward to advise them to watch for two (or however many) items. This often happens overseas as it is sometimes cheaper to send two or more smaller items than one larger one depending on the weight.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Good points, however what they asked: Would it be possible to get combined shipping?  (not exactly word for word but close)

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I still wouldn't necessarily take that to mean anything other than that they want one package as opposed to like six. You're certainly not obligated to do any 'refund' for 'combined shipping'... not by any stretch of the imagination. If it were me, I'd thank them politely again for their multi-purchase order and assure them that everything shipped together and that it will arrive by (appropriate date) and hope to serve them again.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

We're also forgetting the human factor, they may not have even noticed that it was free shipping, or even perhaps they meant that note for another seller.....

I got a complaint, kind of weird about an item a few days ago, I politely asked the buyer to better describe what was wrong because I didn't understand, and I got an answer back that oops they meant that for another seller and all was well......(buyer was in Thailand)
Message 9 of 9
latest reply