Chit Chat express is it worth it?

Chit Chat has come to BC.  The drive for me is 30 km each way.  I'm just wondering how sellers who have been using this service like it and is it worth it.  How does it work.  Do you take the item there and wrap it?  Do you fill out the forms there?  

Any advice would be appreciated?

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

hlmacdon
Community Member

I've not used the service, but from reading with experiences in ON, you'll either print your postage yourself via Endicia/Stamps or presumably they will have ability onsite to print. Forms are integrated with shipping labels, the only thing you really need with USPS is a master scansheet (one barcode scan that contains all tracking numbers) for multi package shipments. They'll need invoice copies from you as well for each item as that is required at border crossing. There shouldn't be anything required you can't prep at home.

It may be a viable option for you during a potential strike. The one thing you'll want clarity on is when your packages will be entering the US after your dropoff (US buyers get antsy if they don't see tracking acceptance scans) so you can factor in handling days if that is a consideration for you. Given the distance you may want to consider batching orders with a longer handling time.   

As far as it is worth it, it really depends on your margins and rate of sell through. I switched to USPS several years ago now and would never switch back to Canada Post. If you are shipping internationally with USPS just be aware the pricing is quite high and it can at times take 1-2 weeks for items to exit the US as the LA international sorting center that services west coast originating shipments is an unmitigated disaster at the moment and has been for a long while.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

My experience with Chit Chat is mostly using their cheap shipping supplies. But unless you do some volume to the USA, it might not be worth the drive. Prepare the package as you would at home and bring the package into stores. You can use their computers in store to print the manifest and stick them on the packages.

Their international service is a lifesaver, especially the new DHL tracking service. Their Canada Post rates can on some occasions be cheaper then what ebay offers.

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

Are you generating enough profit to use that amount of time, money, and effort to maintain sales through a strike, or even other times?

Out here in the wasteland, 60 klik round trip is 40 minutes. 60 klik in a city environment? Hours?

If you could structure it to once or twice a week, that might be an option. Every day is simply not realistic.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 50
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Chit Chat has come to BC.  The drive for me is 30 km each way.  I'm just wondering how sellers who have been using this service like it and is it worth it.  How does it work.  Do you take the item there and wrap it?  Do you fill out the forms there?  

Any advice would be appreciated?

If you have one package to ship and can save $5 it's probably not worth it.

If you have 10 packages and can save $50.....well $50 for an hour of work and a couple of dollars in Gas????

If you have 100 packages and can save $500....yeah I'd say that is worth it.

Of course we are not yet factoring in, more reliable, faster, tracking available all things which equal happier buyers and more security in addition to more money in your pocket and the chance to offer lower shipping costs to buyer......

Yeah it's "worth it".

I have a choice of two ChitChat's one is 8km through traffic, the other is 35km (in the opposite direction) with less traffic, I pick one based on what time of day and which way I might be going for other purposes. While I'm not doing the volume I used to relative to using Canada Post I'm saving thousands of dollars per year and selling more because my shipping is more reasonable that other comparable sellers.

FYI - You do actually have to do a bit of extra work

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 50
latest reply

I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to use CCE during the CP strike (if it does happen)... but it's an option I'm currently considering just so that I can keep my listings live instead of ending them in two weeks.

1. While I do live in Richmond, CCE is located at the far end of it away from city center (I never go there), probably 15 min drive one way?
2. It only opens 10a-5p. I work 7p-7a so it's either I wake up 3 hours earlier to make it to CCE before it closes, or stay awake for 4 extra hours after work to get there... if it opens until 6:30pm then it'd be much more convenient.
3. I get maybe only 1-3 packages to ship a week if I'm lucky. Not sure if my volume is worth the extra time and effort and gasoline ($5+ round trip).

If it's located in the city center then I'd use CCE for sure, on my days off to do grocery shopping and such, but at Gordon Way it's just so out of the way... understandably the rent is much cheaper there than city center. I checked out the rates table and it's definitely cheaper than CP, but factoring in extra time and gasoline it becomes debatable for my low volume...

Also it's too bad it's not open on Weekends because driving there without traffic makes it a better drive lol. 

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

OP, on your cd's you won't save a huge amount of money but there is more to it than just money.

To the USA I presume you are using Canada Post Light Packet 2 CA$5.70, via chitchat this will cost you about $4.00 but you will also get full tracking AND delivery 4 to 5 days after you drop off at ChitChat.

For Overseas CP Light Packet is CA$8.78, via ChitChat about CA$4.60, no tracking either way and in my experience delivery times are slightly better.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 7 of 50
latest reply

@recped wrote:

OP, on your cd's you won't save a huge amount of money but there is more to it than just money.

To the USA I presume you are using Canada Post Light Packet 2 CA$5.70, via chitchat this will cost you about $4.00 but you will also get full tracking AND delivery 4 to 5 days after you drop off at ChitChat.   Is this taking into account their fee too?

For Overseas CP Light Packet is CA$8.78, via ChitChat about CA$4.60, no tracking either way and in my experience delivery times are slightly better.  Is this taking into account their fee too?   Why is it so much cheaper, that is $4.18 cents cheaper?

Thank recped, great info.  What I might do is the next time, I have a load of shipping on one day, I will go out there and try it.   I have an accounts with stamps.com does that help me or do I just use what they tell me to use.  When I take out the items, should the envelopes be open?

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

You can print your own labels at home and just drop off at Chit Chat, all you would be paying is $0.65 per envelopes parcel and $0.85-$2 for box parcels. I've personally never done it, but I think you would have to still provide a list of each parcel you are dropping off, the value, address, ect.

Seal the envelope/box as you would. It's a trust system until they find out you lied about the value/content of your packages. Just remember max declared values should not exceed $800 USD. Hope this helps!

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

@recped wrote:

To the USA I presume you are using Canada Post Light Packet 2 CA$5.70, via chitchat this will cost you about $4.00 but you will also get full tracking AND delivery 4 to 5 days after you drop off at ChitChat.   Is this taking into account their fee too?

For Overseas CP Light Packet is CA$8.78, via ChitChat about CA$4.60, no tracking either way and in my experience delivery times are slightly better.  Is this taking into account their fee too?   Why is it so much cheaper, that is $4.18 cents cheaper?

Thank recped, great info.  What I might do is the next time, I have a load of shipping on one day, I will go out there and try it.   I have an accounts with stamps.com does that help me or do I just use what they tell me to use.  When I take out the items, should the envelopes be open?

I use a Stamps account (the free one) to print the postage.

You will need to set up an account with ChitChat so you can prepare the manifests needed for US bound shipments. Basically you'll have to cut and paste the shipment info into a Google Docs spreadsheet before you drop off the packages. It's the main "extra work" I mentioned before.

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

Hi could you send a private message with a sample attached so I can see what you mean. "you'll have to cut and paste the shipment info into a Google Docs spreadsheet before you drop off the packages"

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi could you send a private message with a sample attached so I can see what you mean. "you'll have to cut and paste the shipment info into a Google Docs spreadsheet before you drop off the packages"

Just call ChitChat and get set up.

It's just a simple spreadsheet (in the cloud) you fill in the shipping service, buyer info, description, weight & value just like you would on the customs forms. ChitChat takes your input and creates a master manifest for US Customs with all the packages they are crossing the border with.

It's a simple procedure, all you need is a Google account (Gmail, Google+, Google Photo etc.) you do everything through your browser.

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

I have a friend in Vancouver who also says the shlep to CC in Richmond isn't worth going every day-I asked  their head office and they suggest emailing the Richmond office to ask for drop off points.  I am in Nova Scotia and I can either pay $5.00 a week for the Tuesday/Friday pickup or drop it off any day of the week to a store where it is kept until Tues/Fri pickup.  I have been using their service since the end of June and it is amazing!!  Because of the delay getting packages to Ontario before they head to the US I was worried about handling time but from all the ones I've seen go through the USPS to US locations they really do deliver within 2 or 3 days...even to Puerto Rico!!  So I just email my buyers that I am arranging for a courier to take the packages to the States and it may take a few days for the tracking to show up.  Since the travel time in the US is MUCH shorter I am meeting all my handling times-can't say the same for delivery within Canada with Canada Post-my latest defect is to a Canadian address.  Not to mention saving money- the average package I mail with USPS is about $2.60 US and you can have something up to 15 inches thick...not the ridiculous 2 cm we are restricted to with CP lettermail- and this is TRACKED!!  I actually overpaid a couple of my first packages thinking I needed to put parcel rates when I could have done the first class envelope/package.  

Using stamps.com is really easy, they will set you up so your credit card will authorize and it just imports your ebay items- you put in the weight and it defaults to the cheapest tracked method.  You can save this info for later if you don't want to print right away and when you do print you can do 2 labels on one sheet of paper so it cuts down on paper usage.  They are much more user friendly than paypal/Canada Post.  International does require a little more since you have to confirm what's in the package and value and remember to reduce the Cdn price to US equivalent because the buyer will get charged by their country in US dollars so that will save them a little money if they do have to pay something.  

Another thing I've used CC for is international tracked- whenever I have a heavy or expensive item I send it through them to DHL and it's about $13-17 to almost anywhere in the world and that's about half what Canada Post charges- and CP isn't tracked.  Also the courier fee includes 10% of the VAT charges the buyer would pay so the ones I've done have not charged the buyer any duty/taxes/vat fees. 

I do have to say, since I now see how little US sellers pay for shipping it really surprises me how much they charge on ebay.  I've seen a 2 page pamphlet going for $40US just for the shipping. 

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

forgot to mention I now get all my padded envelopes from them as well, they are half the price of cases in Staples and the same quality. 

Also I sent one Cdn package through them-ebay gave me an estimated 2-8 days and since they would remove defects I figured I would see how CC would do with the delay getting it to Ontario before it starts it's journey.  The package was going to Calgary area and somehow they freighted it right to Calgary, the first scan was in Calgary with Canada Post and the package was delivered 2 hours later.  Well within the 2-8 day window I had and it saved me $5.00 this way.  Will definitely look at doing it more often even without a postal strike. 

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

Hi I was the original OP on this one.  I have used Chit Chat now for a few orders.  I went to Richmond twice (quite far for me) and now use one of their pick up places (a lot closer).  

The only issue that I have for me is that pick up is 3 times a week and it is then sent to the US the following day, so I have to take that into account and have a 3 or 4 day handling.  I had someone buy something on Wed late morning and although I purchased the postage with tracking, it will not get to the US until Sat.  I currently have a 3 day handling and send an email to the buyer.  

It is working out great, I see a marriage made in heaven.   I have to thank Norma for having a drop off. I probably will never use Canada Post again for my US shipments. 

Message 15 of 50
latest reply

I also have a 3 day handling, remember the estimated time of ARRIVAL is what ebay is gauging the delivery by when asking the buyer if they received it on time, not your handling time. For instance, if someone buys it on Tuesday night and I can't get it out until Friday and the estimated is  14 business days, it still arrives with time to spare because it bypasses customs and usually that's the biggest hold up on international mailing. You, in BC, have it better than I do- I believe yours gets taken to the border daily whereas mine gets freighted to Ontario and then they drive it to Niagara Falls- so it doesn't get into the States until Tuesday or Wednesday from that Friday order.  So I have a longer delay and still my packages are coming in under the estimated arrival times.  

I was told that Richmond didn't have drop off locations, glad to hear they are finally doing that.

Message 16 of 50
latest reply

I just realized something- all my listings have a 3 day handling time, how could ebay give an estimate of 2-8 days when 2 days is less than my handling time...the lowest bracket should have been at least 4 days- I'm wondering if they even take handling time into consideration.  That is something I'm going to have to look into because it's the only reason I extended all my handling times was to buy myself those extra 3 days. 

Message 17 of 50
latest reply

"how could ebay give an estimate of 2-8 days when 2 days is less than my handling time.."

That question was asked yesterday on the weekly discussion with Raphael.

Message 18 of 50
latest reply

thanks Pierre,

I don't have time to read a lot of the boards so I'm not aware of all the discussions

Message 19 of 50
latest reply

Something else that cc offers which I have not yet tried is sending Canadian lettermail through the USPS system, one advantage is that some rates are tracked.  The disadvantage is that you have to remember to mark it coming from and going to Canada and hope that the buyer doesn't get charged any duty.  I would probably use this when I have something to ship that is thicker than 2 cm but relatively cheap so that the buyer doesn't have to pay expedited rates.  For instance a thick book worth $10 going to Ontario.  I tried one around 13 oz and it would be $5.83US  whereas through Canada Post it would be $11.25-that's about $4.00 cheaper than going through Canada Post- now I don't think this price was tracked but still it would save the buyer a couple of dollars after I include cc fees. 

Message 20 of 50
latest reply