My experience: Updated Self Insurance statistics

I figured it was time to update my self insurance statistics:

Notes:

-I live in the stamp collectors world, so these results are all from postage stamp selling categories

-this includes items lost to "crime" as well.  "Crime" is defined as situations where I think people purposefully buy with bad echeques, or claiming lost in transit but that is only my best guess.

-an interesting update compared to my update last year, I have sent a lot of stuff to Russia and have had no Russian losses in the last 2 years!

-an interesting update compared “ to june 2013” to full year 2013 numbers, my 2013 loss rate improved from .74 % to .51% over the course of the year

-my loss rate is calculated as a % of sales $, it is not a % of shipments. I care more about what the % of sales lost is so I track it that way.

-for fun I did check loss rate as a % of shipments for a year (April 2013 – March 2014) and it is .0076% of packages lost, so less than 1 in 100 packages lost

-the numbers below are specific to eBay sales. As I mentioned in other threads, I experience losses both real and "crime" related via the other online venues I use so it is not an ebay buyer issue.

It is also worth noting that for 2014 I have 3 types of insurance:

1. Self insurance for the small stuff

2. Canada Post for the first $60 or $100 only when items are sent expedited, expresspost, registered or trackable (I almost NEVER use tracking unless something like a zero feedback high value shipment)

3. 3rd party insurer (Hugh Wood) for stuff over $200

2014 results (to end of March) 1% of sales loss rate:

1.01% "insurance" loss rate (all 4 are unrecovered losses so far this year USAx2,Brazil,China)

0.17% as a result of "crime" (1 shipment)

0.83% as a result of items lost in the mail (3 shipments)

(Note in 2014 so far 1 packages “lost” and later arrived and Buyers repaid Nepal, no recoveries from Canada post or 3rd party insurer)

2013 results one half of one percent of sales loss rate:

0.51% "insurance" loss rate (10 unrecovered losses USAx3,Argentina,Chinax3,France,Israel,North Korea)

0.3% as a result of "crime" (6 shipments)

0.21% as a result of items lost in the mail (4 shipments)

(Note in 2013 2 packages “lost” and later arrived and Buyers repaid(Brazil, Russia), 1 package loss partially covered by Canada post, no losses covered by 3rd party insurer)

2012 results - under 1% of sales loss rate:

0.83% "insurance": loss rate (unrecovered loss 9 shipments Argentina,Australia,Brazil,Canada,Chinax2,Indonesia,Russia,Turkey)

0.78% as a result of "crime" (2 shipments)

0.04% as a result of items lost in the mail (7 shipments)

A reminder that 2012 is the year that CP covered the small packets, I had a few recoveries this way. 

I had a big crime loss within Canada (this was also spelled out in a different thread).

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I see I forgot to fix one of the numbers, % of packages lost is .76% (so 3 quarters of one percent), not .0076%
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Your loss rates are OUTRAGEOUS!

I'm kidding but mine are even lower than yours! Last year I had one INR.

I had my first SNAD in about 3 years just recently, it was an old paper item, I must have put a slight rip in it while I was packing.

I need to be more careful with flimsy pieces of paper from 50 years ago!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

INR? I had two last year. Both liars. Cannot prove it. One of those "ya just know". .2%

99.8% no problem. Why anyone pays to protect themselves against the .2% escapes me.

Based on dollars, it works out to .6%
Photobucket
Message 4 of 4
latest reply