Today is September 19th any info. re Canadian Sellers/Buyers Day

izzame
Community Member

Did I miss the info. or will we find out tomorrow ?

from Wed. discussion

"We would like to know more about the Sept. 19 Buy Canadian Promotion. 

Namely, what it might entail and whether certain items will be featured over others and, if so, using what criteria selected by ebay. http://community.ebay.ca/t5/eBay-News-and-Information/Rumor-department-eBay-ca-September-sale-event/...

Thanks,

Maureen  

Hi Maureen,

All Canadian sellers will be included in this, whether they list on eBay.com or on eBay.ca. The only criteria is that the items be located in Canada."

Just wondering what "this" is that I'm sure to be included in.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

the key phrase is "will launch", so one would expect an announcement sometime today from eBay. They've got until midnight to deliver on this Buy Canadian sale event.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

A much ado about nothing event as it was advertised as a Buy Canadian Promotion, will most likely be pursued as a buyer promo and thereby will have limited impact on the general populace of sellers - This is Monday - generally Monday is a non-event day/a ZERO sales day for me.I expect today to be exactly that - a nothing day on eBay.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

A much ado about nothing event as it was advertised as a Buy Canadian Promotion, ....

What advertisement?

I haven't seen anything other than an email and a comment in last week's chat.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

I'm waiting to see too. I have high hopes (likely in vain) that this promo -- whatever it is -- will dramatically boost purchases. 

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I'm waiting to see too. I have high hopes (likely in vain) that this promo -- whatever it is -- will dramatically boost purchases. 

I'd actually be shocked if it had much of an effect at all.  I won't be holding my breath. 

Pardon the cynic in me, but this kind of marketing to Canadians is something eBay.ca should have started doing seriously and consistently years ago.  Now they're stuck with all those $CDN listings they've promoted and no one to buy.  

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I'd actually be shocked if it had much of an effect at all.  I won't be holding my breath. 

Pardon the cynic in me, but this kind of marketing to Canadians is something eBay.ca should have started doing seriously and consistently years ago.  Now they're stuck with all those $CDN listings they've promoted and no one to buy.  

You are a bit too much of cynic, since the promo is for items located in Canada -- not for items that are listed for sale in Canadian $.

But it will only be effective if it's advertised somewhere other than on eBay.CA

-..-

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

I'm not sure this quite meets my expectations. I will go as far as saying this is better than not having a 'Buy Canadian' button at the top of the page but I'm not sure by how much. I thought there would be some actual stimulus to go with this. Such as a coupon for 15 per cent off if you spent $100 or more on a Canadian-located item. 

Also, when you start trying to narrow down your selection, it returns to the Default of items not located specifically in Canada.

It's okay if you pick a category at the side but if you narrow your selection using the choices at the top or bottom of the page like with Toys & Hobbies ->Transformers/ LEGO/Frozen/My Little Pony/et cetera it goes back to showing items located everywhere.

So how useful is that really?

You can browse through 300,000 Canadian deals one page at a time. Or you can narrow your selection and then get items located not only in Canada which seems to defeat the purpose of a Buy Canadian event. 

The Canadian Deals should stay set to Canada Only when you narrow your search. No?

I wonder if this is a roll-out glitch. 

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 12.49.48 PM.png

and 

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 12.50.50 PM.png

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

what a joke,, how is that going to help anyone but the high volume sellers who are put right at the top of the list.. ebay you need to get a grasp on reality, and actually do something focused on the smaller sellers you have,

May i suggest anyone with a store can redeem their unused auction listings for an equal number of fixed price auctions.

You yourself tell us people want to buy something right away, and auctions are a dying thing of the past for the most part,

So how about it??

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

OK, so how I break this down is : 5 minutes marketing brainstorming + 7 minutes IT = 12 minutes put towards ALL Canadian buyers and sellers .... I think it best that I take the dog out for a walk and digest this a bit more, this can't be it. I mean I spend more than 12 minutes start to finish doing 1 listing .... best take the dog out

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Rather useless.

Down the side listings of Categories, there is nothing for Collectibles and if you click on the photo of Collectibles & Art you only get Art.

Also, as Maureen said, if you click on a category and it has 48,000 items, so you click to narrow it down, you are back to all the Chinese and US GSP items.

This makes the search an annoyance more than anything else.  Sad, as this was a perfect opportunity to get Canadians shopping from Canadian sellers.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

The nicest thing about this promo is the artwork in the image used to advertise it.

There, I said it. 

I don't care if that sounds complain-y. This Buy Canadian effort has not met my expectations. 

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Yes, the artwork is good.

Why is this called an event - shouldn't that banner be up there all the time??

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

I was thinking that too. Buy Canadian should be an ongoing campaign.  

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Good morning i just checked Buy Canadian i saw 20 of my products out of 700.But i was shocked to see that they advertised counterfeit 

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

20 of 700 is probably better than most of us so congratulations! 

What makes you think there are counterfeit? eBay wouldn't know it, likely, unless that was reported as such. It's in the listing under Report. 

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Finishing,price tag attached and the price.Its been an year that i follow this kind of bags.The seller its always new and no feedback,always one item.Seller was using names with letter A for 11 months now he changed.And the location its always the same.Pictures are always blurry and he used the same stander for all the pictures.
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Very interesting. You should report that listing and those reasons.
Message 20 of 29
latest reply