Item Received doesn't match with what the Seller is advertising

ak27own
Community Member

Hey,

i bought a nike bag on eBay. I just received it. Prior to buyingit,  i sent the seller a photo of the item (found online), matching the exact same color of the item he is advertising.

When the product came in today, it was a different color. Now i contacted the seller and he simply wants me to send it back and will refund me.

The problem with that is the fact that i have to send it back and pay for it. Apparently he will refund me the shipping back as well and the cost of the whole transaction of buying the item in the first place.

My question, how will i know if the seller is going to keep his word and refund me? Shouldn't he refund me first and then let me send it?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

An item always has to be sent back in order to receive a refund. If you send the item back with delivery confirmation you will have proof that the seller received it back. If they don't refund you could file a case with ebay who would see that the item was returned and make the seller refund you. However, they could not force the seller to pay for the return shipping so you will have to take him at his word on that.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I see, and opening a case right now with paypal won't do any good?
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It sounds as if the seller is cooperating and has already told you to ship the item back for a refund. If you open a case with paypal, he will tell you the same thing and paypal will refund your original shipping cost and item cost from the seller's account. However, because opening a case immediately penalizes the seller, there is also the possibility that he will not be as willing to refund your return shipping once he's been penalized. At this time, neither paypal or ebay can force him to do that. So...in my mind...if a seller is cooperating, I don't see a reason to open a case but it is up to you. It is very important that you send the item back with delivery confirmation. You might also want to let the seller know what that is going to cost before you send it.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Sorry, i'm a newbie in that kind of situation on eBay. I was just wondering what would happen if opening a case with paypal.

Thanks for clarifying! And yes he is cooperating, i just wasn't sure if i could take his word for it, don't want to get scammed.

So i simply send him the item back, with a tracking (which i will share with him) and he is then supposed to refund me the cost of the item + shipping on my credit card via paypal.

If i don't get any money back then i need to open a case with eBay?
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If i don't get any money back then i need to open a case with eBay?

Yes. Keep an eye on the tracking to see when he receives it back. If you don't get refunded within the next couple of days after that, you open a case. At least that's the way that I would handle it....I'm surprised that no one else has given their opinion about the situation.

Important - Keep in mind that you have 45 days from your payment to file a claim with paypal so don't wait too long.  If for some reason there is a problem with the case, you can then file a claim with your credit card company.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Now the seller tells me he can only pay 17$ for shipping back, when clearly it's going to cost more than that for me to ship it back.

This is getting complicated. I've bought a bag that isn't the same color as on the ad, which is false advertising, and now i'm supposed to pay the shipping back for a product that i did not request. 

What should i do? 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

There are ways to cut down on the cost of shipping but of course it is more expensive if the seller is in another country. Where is the seller located? I should have asked you that first. If you are willing to post the item number for the original listing, that would be helpful.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

i sent the seller a photo of the item (found online), matching the exact same color of the item he is advertising.

But the colour of any item pictured online will vary with the monitor used. So your picture was useless to both you and the seller. His monitor may show him the colour in your picture as matching the item he had in front of him.

And it is also possible that the other site manipulated the colour of his picture. Who knows?

Now.

If the seller advertised a blue item and sent a red one, you have cause for complaint. While you can't force him to do so, the Best Practice would be for him to cover your return postage which only was needed because of his error.

But .

If he advertised a blue item and you expected a navy blue thingie but got a royal blue thingie, the seller is not at fault. The item was advertised as blue, The item you got was blue.

You are certainly allowed to return it, but the seller does not owe you the return postage. Neither of you is responsible for the misunderstanding.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply