i am doing my 2018 taxes and need a list of 2018 sales

used2b
Community Member

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

You should be keeping track of all your sales throughout the year yourself.  I print up all my sales invoices that PayPal sends me for my record. I also have an Excel spreadsheet that my husband made up for me for each month.  The spreadsheet has all my sales & all my expenses including the fees charged by eBay & PayPal.

Self employment

My first record of a sale is the email received from eBay immediately after a sale.  A copy of this email is my paper record of each  sale....

Then The email from Paypal comes  and I will confirm what the mailing address should be the one on eBay's email.... then go to the record on eBay... My eBay

My spreadsheets  are as follows.....

(1) A sales record... updated with each sale

This includes a short  title of the listing, the buyer's name, date purchased, date mailed...  Price of purchased item, cost of postage......  buyer's location, state/US (such as MA USA) or Province/Canada (such as MB CDN)   and then   a calculation of GST/HST  for GST = 5 % provinces, Ontario HST = 13 %.. and then NB NS PE and NL HST = 15 %.

(2) Postage record... Postage, GST, HST  for parcels delivered on one day, travel distance to the post office

(3) Purchase of inventory....  Canadian dollars, GST, Location...  Travel distance 

(4) Supplies required to run the business... Canadian dollars, GST... Travel distance

(5) Money overview ... transfers from Paypal, eBay fees (No GST), GST on fees, Paypal fees

(6) Use of the automobile... insurance, gas, Maintenance ... Business mileage as a percent of total mileage

(7) Internet cost....  Internet used  for selling... a single number for each year..

(8) Business use of home- residence  ...  a single number for each year.... the area must be dedicated only to business use, and must be expressed as a percent of the total area in the residence

Data is added daily.... if new data is available

Then  the record is complete on December 31... on the old year.

All data for tax is available on January 1... of the new year.

This action makes things... relatively... easy.

As reallynicestamps commented, logon to your paypal account and search around until you find the activity download tool.

The tool allows you to download all transactions going back quite a few years. The download is in the .csv file format which can be opened with any spreadsheet software like MS Excel, Apple Numbers or the free Google spreadsheet app.

Simply delete the columns that are not useful, drop in a few simple functions and you're good to go.

EBay purges itself constantly.

Don't expect anything that is over six months old to be listed.

Paypal holds on to their (financial) information for much longer.

If you are cleaning out the basement, Revenue Canada doesn't care.

If you are buying for resale, your profits are taxable.

But that means you also need all your costs as well as your income.

You should be keeping all the receipts for your purchases (don't forget shipping supplies) and fees to use as deductions from those payments to work out your actual profit.

A lot of eBayers who do this occasionally are shocked to learn they have a hobby and not a business.

If you also pay your fees and buy your postage through Paypal, most of the information you need will be there.

Ask a Question