Disappearing Drafts

I have - or had - 130+ work-in-progress listings in my Drafts folder a couple of months ago.

Then before I could complete and schedule more than a handful of these works-in-progress, they began disappearing, and in no discernible pattern. Initially I dropped under 100, followed by another 15 or so more in subsequent days and weeks. But then yesterday, after relisting a couple of drafts my remaining total dropped by 20 plus. This morning I woke up to another one gone. 

Today, I'm sitting at 51 drafts total out of my original 130+ roughly 6 weeks ago with less than 20 relisted during that period. FTR, none of these drafts had gone without an update and save within any rolling 30 day window.

Any idea how or why this might be happening? Has eBay's draft reterntion policy drastically changed recently?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

It's been my experience that relying on ebay to keep drafts alive for any length of time is akin to playing the lottery. I feel the primary reason that folder exists is to provide somewhere for failed listing submissions to be kept alive on a very temporary basis, beyond that it's never been reliable. Whenever I'm preparing listings that are not for immediate listing for whatever reason I use the Scheduler feature, if they're complete and ready to go I'll select a firm date a week or two off in the future. If the listing is a work in progress I often schedule it for weeks later
knowing I'll revisit the listing well before the scheduled listing date and time. Quite often I'll return to an incomplete scheduled listing, add whatever details were missing, then toggle off the Scheduler and submit it for immediate upload to Active listings. Definitely not an ideal solution but with a little organization it's possible to use Scheduled listings as a Draft folder. I've never had files disappear from that folder, but I do have to pay attention to Scheduled dates, possibly moving them further off in the future when necessary.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

I don't know if there has been recent changes but I had this happen to me a couple of years back at the start of Covid. I was trying to wait a bit to see what was happening and I found some of my drafts could not be accessed even after 30 days. I could still see them there but couldn't update them or make any changes.

Ever since then, if I have anything sitting in drafts for a while, I make a minor change (even a space where there wasn't one!) just so the change would bump it up to the current date! Because I had tons I lost back in 2020 waiting it out, I don't take a chance and like I said make a small change just so they are more current.

Someone may know more about this than me but that is what I did in my case! I know it's awful when they disappear! 😞