Optimizing eBay Shipping Strategies in Canada: Tips and Insights from Sellers

edsel4460
Community Member

Hello eBay sellers in Canada, I'm diving into the world of e-commerce and eBay, and I'm particularly interested in refining my shipping strategy. I've heard about carrier subscriptions and various shipping services, but I'd love to hear your experiences and insights:

1. Carrier Subscriptions:
- Have any of you explored carrier subscription programs like Canada Post's Solutions for Small Business or similar offerings from other carriers?
- What kind of discounts and benefits have you received from these subscriptions?
- Do you believe they are worth the investment for small to medium-sized eBay businesses?

2. Shipping Services:
- Beyond standard postage options, are there any specific third-party shipping platforms or eBay's own shipping services you find particularly advantageous for your eBay business in Canada?
- How have they simplified your shipping process?
- Have you noticed any significant cost savings?

3. Common Challenges:
- What challenges have you encountered when shipping items within Canada and internationally?
- How did you tackle these issues?
- Did the challenges involve shipping costs, customs, tracking, or customer satisfaction?

4. Tips for International Shipping:
- For those who ship internationally, what advice do you have for navigating customs regulations, duties, and taxes effectively?
- Are there any essential considerations or resources you rely on to ensure smooth cross-border transactions?

5. Free Shipping with Large and Small Items:
- If you offer free shipping with both large and small items on eBay, what strategies do you recommend to manage shipping costs effectively?
- How do you factor in the cost of shipping when setting prices for these items?
- Any specific carriers or services you prefer for large or small item shipping, and why?

Your insights and experiences will not only help me but also fellow sellers looking to enhance their eBay shipping processes in Canada, whether they're dealing with large or small items and offering free shipping. 

View Entire Topic

1.) I think almost all sellers have a SfSB account. We needed it to use eBay labels, including Shippo labels at one point.

This may still be true.

We get 5% or so off at the counter. I use postage stamps for a lot of my shipping, because I have an almost endless supply of older mint postage, enough that I can sell it here at a discount, and between lower cost for the stamps and that small discount it's worth the trouble.

There is no investment. The SfSB card is FREE.

2.) You will be hearing from sellers who use Stallion and ChitChat forwarding. Unfortunately neither is a practical option for my location.

3.) If I am buying a label for foreign shipping, all the customs information is included on the label.

If I am shipping within Canada, often the cheapest choice is Registered ($9.75) LetterMail (92c to $5.47  anywhere, depending on weight).  Do NOT use Registered outside of Canada, because it is not reliable.

Never use Surface. It is so slow that any money saved is lost when the customer wins the Item Not Received claim.

4.) See #2 - forwarding services

See #3 - labels include all customs information.

5.) Free Shipping is not free, it is an advertising gimmick.

Your cost of shipping is included in your asking price.

Which is cheapest ?

A $100 item with $10 shipping?

A $110 item with Free Shipping?

Once you have that firmly understood, use it as you wish.

Some buyers will like the lower asking price. Most will love the idea of getting something 'free'.

For USA and Canada, if I can ship LetterMail (max 500gr and 2cm thick) I figure in the shipping cost and use Free Shipping.

Then I list on dotCOM.

Do NOT use Free Shipping for overseas sales. Ever. And again do NOT use Surface for overseas sales. Ever.

If I must use Parcel rates, I list on dotCA and use Calculated Shipping. The customer sees their cost to their doorstep and decide if the deal is worthwhile or not. No arguements.

My go-to is always Canada Post but see #2 -forwarding services.

Many sellers have nasty things to say about FedEx.  It can also be hard to work out how much a UPS label is going to cost you.

If you use a private courier for delivery, use Calculated Shipping and list on dotCA.