100% paypal seller protection - NO! WE DON'T HAVE IT!

My dearly fellow seller-mates.

Here is one IMPORTANT news you need to know about the stated "100% paypal seller pretection". I have a personal story to share with all of you.

I shipped the item to the address appeared on the paypal invoice. I also added 'signature option' to further protect myself since paypal seller policy says it.

So the item is shipped to the address and the item was not delivered and returned to me. Later I found out that the buyer doesn't live there anymore. So the buyer opened an 'didn't receive the item' case.

After all, i received the returned package, and I lost the case, the money is returned to the buyer.

During the paypal case, I uploaded pictures of my receipt and everything was right. The paypal representative also said to me that i did everything right, but they still have to make a decision that favors the buyer.

SO HERE IS THE MAIN PART:

So.. I was asking the representative about the specifics of 'paypal seller protection'. The problem is that since the representative admitted that i did everything write and make the correct proof, but why did i lose the case?

The representative was very vague and told me it depends case to case. So the main problem is..

Paypal claims that they provide 100% seller protection, and when I have all the correct and sufficient proof, and I lose the case? This is called 100% seller protection? ?:|

the question we need to think about now is: what does '100% seller protection' mean? what does '100% seller protection promise? When this protection is transformed into actions, what does paypal exactly do give us the '100% seller protection'?

So in my case, the representative i was speaking too also admitted that I have sufficient proof, and i still lost the case and receives no 'seller protection'?

So if you look at the paypal seller protection page, it gives you beautiful words about they will give us protection and what we need to do in order to receive '100% seller protection'. BUT, it does not have any general bottom line promise that indicates what exactly is 'seller protection'. It didn't give out equivalent promise or words that says about the form of 'seller protection'. is it promised 100% money refund if similar things happen?

Here, check out the link

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection-learn-more

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The paypal representative also said to me that i did everything right, but they still have to make a decision that favors the buyer.

I'm a bit confused about your post. Did you expect paypal to let you keep the buyer's money even though you had received the item back?

It wasn't your fault that the buyer had the wrong address listed with paypal but they protect sellers in cases where the buyer does receive the product..and there is proof that they have received it. In this case the buyer did not receive it and therefore did not sign for it so they had a legitimate item not received case. They may have been refunded their original shipping cost too which doesn't sound fair to you but at least you do have the item back and you can resell it.

From the link you provided...

If you're responding to an "item not received" claim or chargeback, you'll need to provide Proof of Delivery from a shipping company that meets the following conditions:

It shows the status as delivered.

It confirms the date the order was delivered.

.It includes the recipient's address, including a minimum of city & province, or city & country, or postal code (or equivalent).

For payments of $325 CAD (or local currency equivalent) or more, it includes proof of the recipient's signature to confirm delivery.

I realize that it is frustrating when something like this happens but paypal seems to have done exactly what they promise to do.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

After all, i received the returned package, and I lost the case, the money is returned to the buyer.

Why did you not refund at least the purchase price of the item, when you received the parcel back?

You cannot ethically keep both the money and the goods.

Paypal will refund the entire amount, even though the shipping cost went to the PO and not to the seller.
Because the unhappy buyer did not get either the item or a refund, you now have a black mark on your selling record.

I don't think you will be getting much sympathy.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You really need to take a step back and try to look at this situation from a completely different mind-frame....

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I get what you are saying..

maybe the paypal case shouldn't just end at that point? since buyer provided wrong address and triggered the subsequent problems, then it would be better for paypal to enact another policy to allow to me send to a new and correct address and still let this transaction finished?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I get what you are saying.. hmm, what im trying to say is the buyer gave me a wrong address and then the sellers have to take the responsibility for their error.

maybe the paypal case shouldn't just end at that point? since buyer provided wrong address and triggered the subsequent problems, then it would be better for paypal to enact another policy to allow to me send to a new and correct address and still let this transaction finished?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

No.

What you are being told is that there were mistakes on BOTH sides.

The buyer gave you the wrong address.

Her mistake. Her "punishment" is that the parcel was not delivered but was returned to the seller. No parcel and not money.

When the parcel was returned to you, you did not immediately refund at least part of the buyer's payment. Your mistake.Instead you kept both the money and the item.

When the unhappy buyer went to Paypal, they "made whole" the buyer and refunded the payment. Since you had to be FORCED into this, you got a blot on your seller's record.

Again. When the item was returned, the seller is not required to ship again without further payment on the part of the buyer. Some negotiation can ensue.

But neither party is allowed to have both the item and the money.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello, next time how should i do this?

If i partially refund the buyer after i got the item back, then will it help to change the decision of the case? and how much should I refund?

Message 8 of 8
latest reply