1993 China Panda Gold Proof Set - Need help

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm still not ready to take my store off of vacation status as I am still working through many issues with my Dad's estate.

One of these issues is...how do I find the value of a 1993 China Panda Gold Proof Set made by the Washington Mint?

Do any of our Power Sellers in here deal in coins? If not...can you suggest where I may turn for assistance?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

That sounds more like a Franklin Mint-style collectible than an actual coin.

The Washington Mint IS a collectible producer, according to the mail fraud decision here;

http://www.usps.com/judicial/1989deci/30-42.htm

so I would think that this is a very low-cost item. -------------------------------------------------------------------

It is our similarities that make us all human - it is our differences that make us all interesting

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Thanks for your message!

Actually, this is not a very low-cost item. Back in 1993 it was valued at $985.00 US. It's a set...not just one coin and was produced by the Washington Mint and not the Franklin Mint.

My Dad was very much into coins and has, should save HAD, a very large collection from both the US Mint and the Washington Mint...for legal trade and for collectibles. The reason I say HAD is that two of my brothers took the entire collection and I am trying to value them using the receipts that Dad had in his folder.

Some items of course I have no receipts for as Dad had an almost complete collection of US silver dollars dating back long ago.

Thank you for sending the link which I did take the time to read. It seems that in that court case that the courts did not find against The Washington Mint. Interesting reading!

Again, thanks!
Susan
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Well, I just skimmed the beginning of that, but what I got was that the Washington Mint has a nasty habit of calling things money when they have no authority to print or mint money.

If these were stamps, they'd be called "semi-postal" stamps.

Generally, they are vastly overpriced when sold and not worth a lot on the resale market.

Yours may be the exception, but I doubt it. -------------------------------------------------------------------

It is our similarities that make us all human - it is our differences that make us all interesting

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
No doubt the Washington Mint, like the Franklin Mint and other places do more than their fair share of advertising! However, these coins ARE real coins. I was able to chat on the phone today with a rep from the Panda American website.

This is a link to what my Dad has. He paid $995.00 for a complete Proof Set back in 1993. The Panda American website has the proof coins sold individually.

Here’s the url to take you to the Panda American website:

http://www.pandaamerica.com/sresult.asp?keyword=China%201993%20Panda&sortby=dateasc

The set Dad had would have been made up on 5 coins: 1 oz, 1/10 oz, ½ oz, 1/20 oz and ¼ oz.

I'm slightly more than shocked at their current value. I'm also seeing sets from different years listed here on eBay...they are out of this world as well.

Susan
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Well, if these are solid gold pieces, they're worth the bullion price at the very least.

I have made money on Franklin Mint items as well - I had the Olympic Silver proof series - sold that the last tome gold went to $800.

Managed to get a bit of a profit out of it at least. -------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I find that when in doubt.. $0.99 to start works for me.
Let the market dictate the value.

add a $1500 BIN to see if that pushes up the bidding.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Actually, I'm not wanting to sell the coins. I was hoping for a reliable source to chat with regarding these coins and many others as well as Presidential medals.

I thought we might have an expert amongst us!

I'll keep looking and making phone calls!

Thanks!
Message 8 of 8
latest reply