$30InternationalPriorityShip toCanada-sm item This is ebays internationalShippingProgram=WhySoHigh?

Canadian's Buying items from US has become very expensive due to the shipping cost. It has come to point of not shopping on Ebay any longer.

-- this smaller size item should not cost $30 to ship!

item# 360767839983

Russ "The Christmas Sampler" snowman figurine.

Stands 5" tall.

Comes in the original white Russ gift box

US $30.44 (approx. C $31.30) International Priority Shipping to Canada

When I asked for a less expensive way to ship, I got this response:

Dear Buyer...,I am not quoting the international rates. This is from ebays international shipping program ...Seller's name

My Question:

What is the Ebay International shipping program?

I just experienced the Global Shipping -- took 15 days to get to Canada -- I have had First Class International in 10 days -- not worth it. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

$30InternationalPriorityShip toCanada-sm item This is ebays internationalShippingProgram=WhySoHigh?

You should pass that information on to the seller. EBay does not encourage sellers to use the Global Shipping Program for items selling for less than $50.

However.

Once the price goes over $50 (although Canadian pierrelebel who has crunched the numbers says it should be $100) there are advantages to the buyer.

Remember that while Canada Post and CBSA are lax about collecting tax and duty (and service charge) on small items, bulkier items and high value items are more commonly stopped and assessed. Anything over $20 may be assessed, even a comic book.

If the seller is using the Global Shipping Program, the cost of shipping and of the other fees will be on the listing.

If the seller is NOT using the GSP, he may by quoting the International/overseas rates instead of the Canadian rates. Remember a good number of our neighbours to the south firmly believe that Hawai'i is a small town in Kenya. 

You could look up the Canadian rate card on the USPS website and send it to him.
He may not care.

Or he may see a business opportunity.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You should pass that information on to the seller. EBay does not encourage sellers to use the Global Shipping Program for items selling for less than $50.

However.

Once the price goes over $50 (although Canadian pierrelebel who has crunched the numbers says it should be $100) there are advantages to the buyer.

Remember that while Canada Post and CBSA are lax about collecting tax and duty (and service charge) on small items, bulkier items and high value items are more commonly stopped and assessed. Anything over $20 may be assessed, even a comic book.

If the seller is using the Global Shipping Program, the cost of shipping and of the other fees will be on the listing.

If the seller is NOT using the GSP, he may by quoting the International/overseas rates instead of the Canadian rates. Remember a good number of our neighbours to the south firmly believe that Hawai'i is a small town in Kenya. 

You could look up the Canadian rate card on the USPS website and send it to him.
He may not care.

Or he may see a business opportunity.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

By the way, mention that First Class International Parcel to Canada now includes Delivery Confirmation. This is fairly new and he may not be aware of it.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for your comment and information. I send out a kudos to all the ebay sellers that take the effort to send items by First Class International to Canada -- it requires a trip to a post office to send the item....I don't think there is door pick up for this service -- only for the priority and flat box rates. There is a lot about the USPS that I don't know. I will look up the Canadian rate card. Thanks
Message 4 of 4
latest reply