Advice and comments please

jenzaka
Community Member
Hi:
I need some input on a recent situation.

We sold a PVR (like a tivo unit and about the size of a VCR) on April 1. Total cost with shipping was appx. $180. We stated in the ad that if PAYPAL was used, the item had to be shipped to a confirmed address. At first the buyer wrote to us and stated that his address was not confirmed and he would be sending a money order. Next thing I know the item is paid for via PAYPAL to a confirmed address which was fine.
Used online shipping, purchased extra insurance and mailed it off. Tracking # indicates that the item was delivered on April 4th.
On April 6th the buyer e-mails us and states that he didn't receive his item. He must have looked up the tracking number and found that it should have been delivered. He claims that it must have been left on his doorstep and was stolen.
Regardless of the fact that this is starting to sound a little hokey, we offer to look into the situation for him and proceed to call CP. After about a month of leaving messages and re-telling the story dozens of times to CSR's that have absolutely no clue about online shipping we finally aquire a name of a supervisor. A few days ago we contact this supervisor and the bottom line is that the parcel was not "lost or damaged" therefore it does not qualify for insurance.(remember there is a tracking # indicating that the item was delivered)
We proceed to write to the disgruntled buyer and explain the situation. We also point out that if this is a case of theft that he should contact the local police or possibly submit a claim to his insurance company.
Now the guy wants a refund from us. I am extremely reluctant to do that and tell him so. I do not state this in my correspondance to him, but I have a gut feeling that this is a fraud attempt.
Yesterday, he files a dispute with PAYPAL. PAYPAL promptly ignores the situation and closes the case due to the amount of time that has passed. I suppose he could file a chargeback but again, he would have a very difficult time winning since the item was sent to a confirmed address and the tracking number indicates it has been delivered.
On paper, we have the valid case and aren't obligated to refund his money but morally does anyone think we should?
He is likely to leave us negative fb but that isn't an issue and one negative fb isn't worth $180 to me.
What would you do?

Joy

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

whoscloset
Community Member
Did you request a signature on delivery? If you did and the Post Office left it on the porch, they have to ante up.
Monique

Monique

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

jenzaka
Community Member
No signature.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

He/She could be telling the truth. We had a similar situation were the UPS driver left the box( a big box) on the client's door steps(without attempting to get signature from client). He claims that never received. We made a claim a managed to get a refund and send a replacement to client.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

jenzaka
Community Member
We are actually still pursuing it with CANADA POST but it doesn't look good and to be honest I don't particularly blame them. All records show that the item was delivered. That isn't to say that mistakes aren't made but CP really has no more to go on than we do. Even under the very best circumstances CP is reluctant to grant insurance claims. As flimsy as this one is, I'm not holding my breath.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

metaldesignz
Community Member
Wow that is tough!! I wouldn't refund because you did your best to have everything delivered as it should have been. It does sounds a little fishy. I agree one neg is better than a $180 loss...
I hate that paypal can refund money without your side of the story...
Good luck and I hope it works out for the best
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

jenzaka
Community Member
In PAYPAL'S favor (this one and only time...lol) They dimissed the original claim without holding any funds etc. I am still scared of a chargeback being filed though. Even though we meet all the necessary criteria and have an extremely good chance of fighting it, I would still have to deal with the "frozen funds" issue until the whole thing came to a conclusion.
Here is the thing: Even if by some very remote chance the insurance claim goes thru with CP and we send him the money. He could STILL claim that the item wasn't received and file a chargeback....in which case we would be out double.
I suppose I could deposit the insurance money into my PAYPAL account and then proceed to treat it as a regular refund. Then if a claim was made I could show proof of a refund. Has anyone had any experience with this?
That's all very ahead of the game considering it will take 2 more months for CP to even attempt to figure this out.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

The 2 negs I got a couple of months ago were from a similar situation; I shipped 2 books to a buyer in the US via expedited before Christmas. In MARCH she emailed me for the first time to say she had not received them. I thought it a little strange that she had waited for 3 months to notify me, but I took her at hewr word and contacted CP regarding an insurance claim; CP indicated that as expedited DC showed delivered in December that the claim would be refused. Buyer then negged me and emailed to say that she'd remove the negs if I refunded her. I declined. She really expected me to refund in order to keep my 100% feedback.

What you do is your decision, but I think that at some point sellers must stop bending over.

Ann

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Pay the ~$1.50 for signature next time. It does add up over time sure, but it's added peace of mind.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

submitoffice.com
Community Member
Add the signature and insurance... it can reduce the problem...
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

jenzaka
Community Member
There was insurance (we even purchased extra insurance since the item was sold in USD) The problem isn't that it wasn't insured but that CP won't honor the insurance because according to all records it was delivered.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

nxtdriver
Community Member
Sounds like a scam. If the person has had other items delivered to their home before, they would know that CP leaves items on the doorstep. In that case, the buyer could have had the item sent to their workplace or to a friend that is home all day. If someone emails me with a non-receipt after I know it has been delivered, its their tough luck, not mine.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

stittsville11
Community Member
Worry not. Very recently, I experienced an identical situation. The buyer filed a chargeback and although Paypal held my funds for about 3 weeks, I prevailed by supplying a tracking number to a confirmed address. Since you have done the same you should be fine.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply