Advice needed please re purchase nightmare!

karensvariety
Community Member
I bought my son an MP3 CD player for the car for Christmas. I bought and paid for it on Dec 3. On Jan 7, I filed a complaint with ebay as I had heard nothing from the seller. Two days after filing, I got an email from them. The MP3 player arrived. I paid $100 to have it installed. The installer said it was broken. I sent it back (no tracking, my mistake). Two weeks have passed. The seller says he never got it and that he is going to make me "eat the money" and a replacement will not be coming. I filed a Paypal in December as well but nothing came of it. Am I just out all this money? Can nothing be done? This guy is way off the wall! This is the item number of my purchase, 3062627648. I desperately need any and all advice.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Karen
You already started a thread on this January 6th.

It was suggested then (by me) and supported (I think by Glenda) that you should take it to Square Trade.

No one suggested sending anything back. Had you gone to ST, they would have obtained an agreement from the seller to refund you upon receipt of the item and probably would have suggested that it be returned with tracking and insurance.

At any rate ST would have worked both with eBay and with PayPal to resolve this however the way I see it at this stage is you are out of luck.

You know the installer could have broken it as well so it is possible its was not the fault of the MP3 player and the vendor. That is a common occurance and they blame it on the system when they fried it during installation.

A typical trick installers working for a business that sells competitor brands is to fry a unit and then tell you that it was broken so that you purchase one of theirs.

Its a great deal for them. They get $100 for trying to install the first unit. sell you a new one for $275 and then get another $100 to put the new one in.

If however, you are certain it was the unit, then file a neg and state he shipped a bad unit, you retd it and he didnt refund you.

Next time go thru Square Trade.

Malcolm

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

karensvariety
Community Member
Well, live and learn. I have already figured out that I lose! I should never have bought from him in the first place, I knew better. What bothers me is that there are many, many like me. Doesn't ebay realize that all those buyers will probably never buy on ebay again. It hurts everyone to let him get away with it.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Karen

It is the good sellers like you and I and so many of our good friends on this board that keep people coming back to eBay.

I rec'd such an email from someone today where they never purchased on the internet and despite going into several local music stores, felt they got better attention and support and information from me than standing face to face with someone.

Whether you buy on the internet or in person I assure you someone who wants to take you will take you.

I purchase alot of electrical stuff on the internet and have never had a bad experience. I have probably had more problems purchasing in a store with pesty unknowledgeable sales help who sell on commission and arent afraid to stretch the truth about what they are selling.

Malcolm

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

mahsauction
Community Member
Karen did you pay your item with with Paypal funds or credit card?

If through funds, you are going to be SOL.

If through credit card I wonder if a chargeback is possible. It is too bad you didn't have a tracking number for your returned item.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
You can do a chargeback, but if the buyer complains to Paypal and shows them a tracking number, Paypal will freeze the sellers account until the seller either provides a tracking number for the return or succumbs to Paypal's extortion and gives up the money.

Been there.

Rob
Message 6 of 6
latest reply