Advice on buyer wanting to back out

Hey everyone,
Long time since I've used the boards but I'm hoping for some advice. This morning, I had a zero-feedback buyer in South Korea purchase 3 items and send an immediate paypal payment ($30 + shipping). The buyer just emailed and seems to be asking to back out of the deal (some language barrier). The items are already packaged, but I have not yet shipped.

How would you respond?

Thanks,
Mike.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

How would I respond?

Issue a complete refund. Thank the buyer for the opportunity and let him/her know that they are always welcome to purchase from you if and when they require something you sell.

Initiate a mutual cancellation and ask the buyer to respond with "agree". If he/she does not respond you can close the thing after 8 days and get your fees back.

Move on and concentrate on selling.

These things happen:-D

Bernie
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Let him.

Unless you're using the very expensive Expedited Parcel service, you won't have delivery confirmation.

All he has to do is claim non-delivery and you're S.O.L. -------------------------------------------------------------------

If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years.
- Bertrand Russell

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

And then I'd block the sucker so he doesn't pull the same stunt again. -------------------------------------------------------------------

If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years.
- Bertrand Russell

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Done and done. Thanks for the insights.

I've always let buyers back out in these situations but have never had someone request to do so after sending payment. Was hoping the advice would be to say "tough luck" (in more colourful language) and send anyways, but you're right, best to play nice 😄

Just a really frustrating number of back-outs, slow payers, no payers and non receipt issues this month - plus eBay just lowered my search standing (for the first time) based on shipping time / shipping cost DSRs. I ship within 3 days and usually at cost or a loss! ARGH! But I guess it happens...

Mike.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

And then I'd block the sucker so he doesn't pull the same stunt again.

My advice is don't!

How many times in your life have you purchased something and returned it to the store?

We are all human and many a customer I helped out this way turned out to be a loyal buyer in the end.

High DSR's are not a coincidence. They are a direct result of how you "feel" about your business - something that is 100% within your control.

Was hoping the advice would be to say "tough luck"

Banish these thoughts and your business will prosper 🙂

Good luck!
Bernie
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I agree with Bernie. Buyer should have the chance to cancel the sale. Depending on the nature of your goods, you may even consider accepting returns for full-ship refund.

It sucks if they do it after you pack it but it sucks even more if they do it after you send it and it sucks the most if they press a claim get money back and still keep the stuff.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I have no problem with cancelling the sale.

Perhaps it's just the area of the market I'm in, but my policy is that I only have problems with a customer once if the problem is on his end.

Millions of customers out there - you can afford to shop for the best ones and, IMO, this customer doesn't fit the bill.

I just find it sooooo much easier to deal with customers that understand the rules. -------------------------------------------------------------------

- Bertrand Russell

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Dipmicro, bang on!

but my policy is that I only have problems with a customer once if the problem is on his end.

Some customers need more TLC than others. It's part of running a business

Millions of customers out there - you can afford to shop for the best ones

Some industries and businesses might beg to differ.

I just find it sooooo much easier to deal with customers that understand the rules.

How about little or no rules? See our return policy, undoubtedly one of the most liberal on eBay and elsewhere. Returns so far: Last year one (changed his mind). This year two so far (defective product). For a minimal outlay we have created immense goodwill - people can buy with confidence.

And, as Roman pointed out, there is an easy and a hard way for returns. The easy way is conducive to a great business philosophy. The hard way leaves bitterness on both sides.

Bernie
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

The buyer just emailed and seems to be asking to back out of the deal (some language barrier).

Hope you made an attempt to clarify with the buyer considering the apparent "language barrier". It's possible you misunderstood what they wanted.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply