Advice to listing picture size

We have been using pics 350 x 260 pixels but I am wondering if there is a size better suited to listing on eBay.

What are you guys and gals using? Size? DPI?

We are looking to have two pics side-by-side as big as possible without slowing down the page loading for the viewer.

We are getting all our products shot by a professional photographer next month so now is our chance to do it right.

Bernie
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I 'm not an expert but I think your pics look pretty good.

I usually upload at 1000 or 1200 pix wide, as the items I sell are small and the customers picky about the quality!

Have you tried shooting your items in a lightbox? You just point a decent digital DSLR with an external flash into a bow with white paper around its insides..
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

In my case, the more expensive the item, the larger the image.

For cheaper items, I use 400px X 600px images, multiples.

For stuff that crosses the $1,000 price tag, the image gets to be 1,000px X 750px. And not one, or two, but more than a dozen.

Cliackable.

That sends the viewer to a huge 3,072px × 2,304px image. If that isn't large enough, nothing is...

I also include a Youtube video, that gets the Google search crowd to Youtube, and that sends them to my eBay store.

Take a look at this listing, for a better idea http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120655801478&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I host my own images, and I use Picture Resize Genius ( http://www.pictureresize.org/ ), to both watermark, rename and resize pictures in bulk.

The pictures uploaded in eBay's picture gallery (the 12 free pics) are always the largest ones, so when buyers click on "enlarge", the resulting picture is large enough to completely fill the window.

Now, as far as quality of the Jpeg goes, you want to go with the lowest acceptable setting (I use 40 %).

This helps to keep down the file size, while still getting a large picture.

Also, you have to know your target customers.

For example, I sell truck and trailer automotive parts, those listings have small pictures, and are a lot more dialup speed friendly.

Police duty items get slightly larger pictures, as those guys tend to have faster internet speeds.

Really expensive items get huge pics, as whomever can afford to buy a $2,000 items in the industrial segment, most times has high speed.

In your case, Bernie, I think that your buyers tend to be upper middle class hobbyist, with high speed internet. I would certainly go with at least 700px x 520px pictures.

BTW, your pictures are really nice, with the neutral background and the shadow drop, they make your items "jump out " from the list. I hope your professional photographer impresses you, but frankly, you are doing a nice job already without him ...

Visit my Me page !
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thanks Terminal and Plasma; that is helpful information. No, I have not tried a light box but have read about it.

Although I have the fancy SLR camera with all sorts of lenses and filters, I don't seem to be much of a photographer. Point, shoot, flash and then correct the heck out of the pics with editing software. That often makes for flattened and blurred pics.

Many of our products are only a few mm in size, the majority being 1-2 cm.

I recently took a weekend Photoshop course; with the local photo studio owner being the instructor. I made a deal with him to come to our office next month for $650/day and shoot all our products, 2-3 pics per product. Works out to 2 bucks per product; a bargain as far as I am concerned.

Seems that both of you use much larger pictures than I have been and I will follow your advice.

Our customers are males aged baby boomer to grave with usually no money worries; just poor eyesight and overwhelmed with technology they don't necessarily like lol.

Thanks again for the advice; it was truly helpful.

Bernie
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Bernie:

the thing about professional photographers is they charge a lot for their services! I guess you have to decide if it is worth it time-wise as to whether you can do it yourself.

My business is Nikon camera parts so there is always a half-decent Nikon DSLR and lens lying around.

This is what i do, although I don't really pay enough attention to get consistent results:
- I have a table for photography with the white box on it. Box is about 20" wide 20" deep x 15" high. It's just an old cardboard box with white paper inside all over.
- when I want to shoot I point a 10" flourescent ring light in the top- just one of those magnifier lamps with a lens. it's what i had lying around.
- I mount the camera on the front of the table using something called a Manfrotto Magic Arm kit. A tripod works just as well.
- I always use an external flash on top of the camera. I use a Nikon SB-600, which pumps out blinding amounts of flash.
- I figure out the settings and shoot at F/10 or F/11 to get depth of flield.

Once it's set up right, I can shoot 40 items an hour. I import them in Adobe Lightroom and crop/adjust them at that point.

There are lenses that are designed to take close up pics: Canon calls them Macro lenses, and Nikon calls them "micro". Something like an 85mm or 105mm is usually standard for this kind of thing,

I see you are in Vancouver. You can stop by one of the camera shops and see ready-to-buy "light tents". Try Beau photo or Kerrisdale Camera or Leo's camera on Granville.

If you had the above set up and hired a photo student form Emily Carr or Capilano College, you could get great pics for $20 an hour....
but of course there's the $1000 investment for camera, flash, light tent, software.

In any case I just looked at your pics and they are pretty darn good!

Daniel
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

PS: there are hundreds of kinds, but here is an example of a light tent that would be appropriate for production photography.

http://www.ezcube.com/
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thanks again, Daniel.

I have the $3,000 SLR camera shebang with all sorts of lenses, filters, secondary flash, macro lenses, tripods and more.

What I need is to get some training and what I will do is have the photographer come over for a day (already booked this) and will watch and ask lots of questions as he shoots.

Future pics I will do myself. It's not that I can't take pics; I have been photographing for a long time but mainly people and landscapes.

It's the bloody, mini, micro, translucent and silver thingamajiggies that I sell that are the challenge.

I’ll learn and yes, thanks for the suggestion; I will actually buy a light box and incorporate the photographer’s recommendation and take some more lessons from him.

Bernie
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Bernie,

You know....those bloody, mini, micro, translucent and silver thingamajiggies that you sell can also be scanned! Mind you, it takes time and patience to do them as well....but it does work and sometimes it is easier than taking pics.

Have fun shooting...the camera, that is!

Susan
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

You know, Susan, I have never thought of scanning but I will try it.

The downside would probably be that the picture is "flat" as opposed to showing depth when the part is shot at a 45/45 angle.

Bernie
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Bernie,

Give it a try as you may be surprised. Scanning can give incredible detail that a photo sometimes can not.

Susan
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hm interesting!

Ran some scans and some are not bad, actually.

it seems this method is best for flat, high contrast items.

Items that have thickness and need to be shot at 45 degrees come out flat and really small items (2-3mm) don't contain enough pixels.

But yeah, it would work for some of our items, especially the thin flat ones.

Thanks again.

Bernie
Message 11 of 11
latest reply