An Ebay seller has refunded my winning bid because it was too low. What shoud I do?

There was no reserve bid and I won the auction fair and square.  I also sent payment as soon as the auction was over, 

I contacted the seller as A week had went by and it had not be shipped yet.   He told me it was at customs and would be shipped by Friday.  I the received notice of refund due to shipping issues.

Contacted seller asking why  customs would be involved because we are both in the same country  and asked for a full explanation.  He replied it was because the price was too low and he couldn't afford the shipping which I paid for in the first place.  What would be the best way to resolve this?

I mostly just buy on ebay and have only went in two auctions including this one.  Both have been bad experiences.  And advice would be deeply appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

An Ebay seller has refunded my winning bid because it was too low. What shoud I do?

Well hard to say the seller lied and was honest so **bleep** for tat there but that is the way auctions go .. The seller will still be charged a fee unless they send cancellation request and you accept and with the new changes to seller standings the seller will actual get a defect rating against them for trying to cancel for reason they did in this situation ...

People like to try and believe ebay is still a fun auction site but it is not and auction only bring disappointment to the sellers as items rarely get bid up anymore .. Seller thought they woul get some bid wars and then reality sunk in ....

Bidding on ebay is hit and miss ... I have sold items for .99 cents and they don't even cover my cost let alone fees and shipping but I always honor the sale and eat the loss ...

This is all about your judgement... Did it give you a headache for a week or cause you to lose sleep or did it just bug you a little bit or the big who cares life goes on ...

Then which ever one it is you leave appropiate feedback for thats all not much more you can do ...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Well I look and see the seller has done it a few times... So go ahead leave neg feedback and watch this guys seller rating go to nothing ... The seller if not already will be restricted from selling only 75% rating .. They will be gone very soon if not already

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Well hard to say the seller lied and was honest so **bleep** for tat there but that is the way auctions go .. The seller will still be charged a fee unless they send cancellation request and you accept and with the new changes to seller standings the seller will actual get a defect rating against them for trying to cancel for reason they did in this situation ...

People like to try and believe ebay is still a fun auction site but it is not and auction only bring disappointment to the sellers as items rarely get bid up anymore .. Seller thought they woul get some bid wars and then reality sunk in ....

Bidding on ebay is hit and miss ... I have sold items for .99 cents and they don't even cover my cost let alone fees and shipping but I always honor the sale and eat the loss ...

This is all about your judgement... Did it give you a headache for a week or cause you to lose sleep or did it just bug you a little bit or the big who cares life goes on ...

Then which ever one it is you leave appropiate feedback for thats all not much more you can do ...

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Well I look and see the seller has done it a few times... So go ahead leave neg feedback and watch this guys seller rating go to nothing ... The seller if not already will be restricted from selling only 75% rating .. They will be gone very soon if not already

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The seller is at fault. If he wanted a better price, he had 2 options:

1- begin his auction with a price he was comfortable with

OR

2- put a reserve price on the auction

He did neither of them. Of course, if he's a newbie, mistakes can happen. But if he did the same thing a few times, he should definitely be reported to eBay for avoiding reserve price fees.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I always give a store's other items a look after a good auction, so it serves as advertising (getting something lower than elsewhere). 

Can have bad experience too, like mismarked items, or 'lost in the mail' that was never sent in the first place.

Advice to OP: dispute the cancellation on Paypal when it offers.  The cancellation will still occur, you get your money back, but seller gets the equivalent of 'unpaid item' mark against them.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

In spite of the refund, the seller will learn she is paying the eBay fees in any case.

She may ask you for a Mutual Cancellation to get those back.

Refuse.

This means that she still has to pay the eBay and Paypal fees, which can run upwards of 20% of the selling price. A tough lesson.

You also have 60 days to leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. "Refunded winning bid, said price too low.'  perhaps.

At the same time you can assess her performance through the Detailed Seller Ratings. A normal pleasant transaction should get Five Stars. If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3, her ability to list and to sell are severely restricted. The lowest Rating is ONE Star. (Leaving no stars is a free pass.)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply