Anyone Else Notice Inconsistent Rounding From Ebay & Paypal?

llee2
Community Member
OK, sure it's only a penny here and penny there but I'm sure it adds up pretty handily in eBay's favour. Few examples of rounding inconsistancies I've found:

- with Paypal - if you are converting one currency to another, we always lose on the decimal. For example, if you were withdrawing your US funds and it was being converted to CDN funds. Say you were withdrawing $123.45 US at a 1.315 exchange rate. For the example, forget about the withdrawl fee. So the equivalent CDN works out to $162.33675 which gets rounded DOWN instead of up to $162.33. Seems not matter what the end digits are, it always gets rounded down when you are withdrawing. On the flip side, when it goes to calculating the Paypal fee on received funds, it gets rounded up if greater than 0.5. So if you sold something for a total of $13.42 and you had a merchant rate of 2.2% + $0.30, your Paypal fee would be $0.595, which would be rounded to $0.60. Seems the rounding rules change depending on who benefits from it.

Likewise, with eBay fees. Sold something for $34.95. Expected my final value fee to be $1.31 for the first $25 and 0.275% for the remainder ($0.27) for a total of $1.58. But apparently, eBay adds the fractions, as the fee shows up as $1.59. The $1.31 for the first $25 is actually $1.3125 and the remainder is $0.273625. So instead of rounding separately, they're added for at total of $1.586125 or $1.59.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

shooger
Community Member
I've noticed this, yes. In some cases, they get you for a few pennies on each item. A couple for the FVF, another one for the conversions, one or two from the PayPal payment, more when you withdraw it... hmmf. A few pennies on each sale seems small, but you can bet it adds to a few million dollars a year that some fat cat is enjoying... and eBay isn't donating to the SPCA.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
The rounding is very consistent - always in Paypals favor.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

mytooldepot
Community Member
I havent checked this out my self but if this is happening it is a very serious offence like shooger said ebay is probably making an extra couple Million a year off this.

DB
Message 4 of 4
latest reply