Anyone else using a PayPal debit card?

treasure-pot
Community Member
I just got mine and wondered if any of you helpful Cdn. PS'ers have any comments, concerns, pitfalls etc. that you might care to share. Your insights are appreciated.

Bill

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

nhlflags
Community Member
It's great. You get %1.5 cash back on purchases other than debit like and bank machine withdrawls.

So, if you use it as a master card, you get the %1.5 cashback bonus.

PayPal's exchange rate is terrible though.

I use it for most purchases and to pay for shipping fees through CanadaPost and UPS.

Hope that helps.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Ok this is what we use it for , we dump the money into our Companies account with our credit card machine in the office. We have a Mastercard rate of 1.3%. However , you get a 1.5% rebate from Paypal when you use it as a mastercard . You also get Matercards Echange rate no Paypal , the money arrives quickly

The only problem I have run into is paypal frezzzing the account when we depoist large amounts into our Companies account . Safty measure on thier part

You know if we are smart , as Canadian's it would be a great idea for us to open a business that takes Mastercard . We then with draw from that account . Then we get the best exchange rate offered. I wonder if thier is anything we could set up that would help us all get a better exchange rate then the crappy won paypal gives . thier has to be some way that all powersellers could take advange of what we are doing

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Hi,

I use the debit card to make purchases because I find 7 days to dump the moeny into my account to slow(I dont have a mastercard machine...only Visa/Interac for my other business stuff).

My only complaint is this:

I have some auctions in Canadian dollars, and some in US dollars. My paypal account can carry both types of balances. But I was very shocked and embarrassed when a few months ago, I had "downloaded" all of my US portion to my business account, leaving myself about $700 Canadian dollars to use when out of town at a trade fair. I went to make a $6 purchase using the card, and it was refused! It seems I have to transfer the money to US dollars(pay the exchange rate)in order for the debit card to work for purchases, even if I am making a purchase in Canadian dollars(pay the exchange rate again). Its no wonder I keep saying I havent been making as much moolah as I should....its all going down the toilet in exchange rates!

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Jaqui, it's stories like that keep me from accepting "PainPal" at all! I find that once you start accepting other methods, MOs, cheques, etc. it all balances out and people pay on time. I really don't need the aggravation and I'm quite sure I'm not missing any sales!

Glenda
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
I prefer to use my CIBC Aerogold and get the aeromiles. They are worth more. On $15,000 spent that would be $225.00 cash back. 15,000 Aeromiles can "buy" a short haul flight.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
I'm using it. Only to pay for Canada Post shipments.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

kpamber
Community Member
I love my paypal debit card, and use it all of the time...with the loonie being so high, it doesn't make much difference. I use it for my "inventory", and wouldn't leave home without it. It was even nicer when the loonie was lower, but, hey, I'm still not complaining! My preferred method of payment is paypal, and will continue to be so, I'm sure.
Karen
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I use this debit card ALL the time... In fact, the last couple of years I've hardly bothered to use anything else & the cash back is a nice bonus!
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

can-import
Community Member
I also use it everywhere... grocery, restaurant, gaz station, etc...
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

charlottestreasures
Community Member
Its great! I use it all the time!..it really pains me when I have to withdraw from an ATM instead of using it as a master/debit card.

My Advice: Try never to do ATM withdraws, only us it for purchases.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
I've got one but it's in US$. I usually draw all the money out of Paypal, but I'm going to Texas later this month so I'm letting it build so that I can use it in Tx as a credit card and get the money back.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply