Are You Getting Your Store Referral Credit Or Do You Just Think You Are?

jakeeangel
Community Member
I've just learned something that I did not know. I've been grumbling about it and am now taking a moment to share it all with you! Do you have an eBay Store? Are you getting the Store Referral Credit? You know, the one you're supposed to get when someone goes to your store from a link you send them in an email. Did you know you're supposed to have a special code in that link? I DIDN'T!!! X-(

My understanding, which was clearly WRONG, was that you just had to have someone visit from an outside eBay source and that was it. I've created tons of special store listings for people thinking yahoo I pay less in fees. Um, nope!

Here's a link to the Store Referral Credit FAQ page:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/specialtysites/referral-credit-faq.html

Emailed links to buyers qualify for credit if there is a referring ID in the URL you send to a prospective buyer.
- If a seller emails a buyer with a link to an item or search in a Store, you must add a referring ID code to the end of the URL (?refid=store or &refid=store, depending on which part of your Store you direct buyers to).

I had no idea about that code having to be in there. You have to use "?refid=store" without the quotes, at the end of the link. If you have a "?" already in your link somewhere then you have to use the "&refid=store" code. This includes links to your store page, a specific store item, your Me page, any category pages and such.

Wanna know where I learned it? eBay Radio with Griff! I've been having fun listening to Podcasts on my iPod and found this. I knew about eBay Radio but thought it was a station not an internet broadcast. Ya I know, duh!! lol He had the topic on one of his shows! Here's a link to eBay Radio for those who are interested. I've learned so many things listening to it. You can listen to archived shows, you can find shows by topic so you don't have to listen to stuff you don't want to too.

http://www.wsradio.com/internet-talk-radio.cfm/shows/eBay-Radio.html

I've found the information to be invaluable and had to share it with you all! Use the code and save on eBay fees! I posted this on CTS but wanted to post it here too for those who don't read that board.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

What a shame you didn't know about the referral codes - you must have lost a few dollars ..... but maybe not so much as you think. There have been lots of ongoing problems with referral credits; did you know that they don't work if the buyer has an 'online' email address like Hotmail or Yahoo?
There have been several threads on the PS.com site and the stores board about credits not happening. Most people don't notice.

There are excellent instructional threads attached to the top of the Stores board - recommended reading for all store owners.

Ann

PS: I thought that you used "?refid=store" when referring to your store home page or category; "&refid=store if referring to an individual store item or your 'me' page.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Just another way for corporate to rip us off!
They make it complicated that you have to spend a lot of time to learn and track it; by the time you think you learn it, they come up with some other changes so what you have learn is obsolete.
You only get the credit if they click buy it or bid it now, if they just bookmarked it and buy later on, what then?
With all my google links i only had 1 or 2 store referral credit in 1.5 years.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
This has been going on for as long as the credit was supposedly put in place. I only get about 1/4 of the one I should.

Monique

Monique

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
I guess that's what happens when you ASS-U-ME!! arrgh! I actually haven't visited the Stores board much but certainly will do so now. Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated! :D

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

belldandyrose
Community Member
i;m very careful about referral codes..and i get quite a bit of money back...
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

chuck111fishing
Community Member
has anybody try to get the 200 bucks for adevertsing expense as well. Ebay will pay you to advertise as well. I think 200 i could be wrong. Just curious
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

chuck111fishing
Community Member
thers free trial program out ther that will link to over 200 sites worldwide for free than of course dump it. i got list 360 free sites you can link to as well. I would post these but i might break someones policies
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

garevon239
Community Member
so far so good, it saves me about 75% on final value fees on my store items and ebay does credit back to my account.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply