Are eBay sellers under any obligation to respond to potential buyers' questions?

dishku
Community Member
3 REPLIES 3

Are eBay sellers under any obligation to respond to potential buyers' questions?

Well, we are Canadians here. So we do have to be polite....

But no, it is not required.

Remember that you never have to open an eBay message, or read any email, or answer the phone.

小心 -- Hoban Washburne.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Unlike the A-river site, there is no obligation to respond to questions.

-..-

A buyer should just move a long to another listing if they don't get a needed answer from the seller.

-..-

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

As the others have mentioned before me, technically, the answer is 'no'.

But from a business standpoint, leaving buyers'  questions to dangle does not make for good business practices. Is the problem that you, as a buyer, are not getting satisfaction? Perhaps the seller is ignoring you on purpose for some reason. Or maybe they are just exceptionally poorly organized. Either way, I would pass on that seller and spend my money elsewhere since a seller that cannot be motivated to gain your custom won't be one willing to work with you afterwards if there is a problem with the purchase.

Alternatively, if you as the seller are being inundated by silly or belligerent questions, perhaps look at your Item Description to see if it suffices. And if the questions are all the same, consider checking the box that posts your Q & A to the listing. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply