Are sellers aware of the cost pushed on buyers through the global shipping program?

actarusrann
Community Member

Ebay offers sellers discounts on final sale fee's , sounds great at first..........but are sellers aware of the extra cost imposed on intl buyers?US to  Canada  is now considered INTL by ebay. A 20$ item will now cost an extra 21$ in shipping and customs fees through this third party shipping.IMO , this is a big deterrant to intl buyers.

No longer interested.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Are sellers aware of the cost pushed on buyers through the global shipping program?

dont buy from sellers who use the gsp program.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

There are a lot of discussions on this subject (GSP = Global Shipping Program) on these boards.  Just put "GSP" in the "Search" box at top right and you'll find plenty of them.  You might want to read some of these to get up to speed -- the subject has been thoroughly parsed. 

I see there were also some questions on this issue that were put to the 'Pinks' at today's Wed. open discussion -- if you're interested you could take a look at those and bookmark the discussion to follow any updates.  My impression is that nothing much is going to change soon.  Just look at U.S. listings carefully and avoid anything that says "International customs and duties included".  Those will be sellers who have opted into GSP.  

Sadly it seems many sellers who opted into GSP thinking it would be advantageous for them (which is what they were told by eBay), are finding it hard to "opt out", even if they want to or are asked to by a buyer for a particular item.  So if you dislike paying the various charges in advance, some of which aren't fully disclosed until you've hit the "Commit to Buy" button, it's best to avoid those listings completely.  They are pretty easy to spot.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

a week ago I asked a US seller if they close the GSP program and gave me a decent ship price I would buy ... Took them 10 minutes to opt out and set it up..

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It's very easy to opt into the GSP and it's very easy to opt out.

However, sellers are getting "opted" in by eBay without their knowledge, and eBay seems to be targeting new sellers who have a more difficult time maneuvering around the system.

I found that I'd been "opted" in without my knowledge.

Of course since I'm a Canadian listing on .com it doesnt show up in my listings.

Therefore, I wasn't aware of it until I received an emai hinting that something had gone awry.

Maybe some of you, and especially those using seller ids with lower FB scores, are also signed up and don't know it.

You can check by going to your shipping preferences on .com.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

It is only easy to opt out of GSP if the listing is still ACTIVE. Before bidding I asked a seller to ship 1st class and not charge the import fees. She agreed, I bid and won, then she told me she couldn't opt out. She tried and it didn't work. She said the only way to change shipping costs "after the fact" was to send a new invoice and she requested I purchase another "item" so I could request a new invoice with combined shipping. I thought that was ridiculous and in the end the sale got cancelled.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply