August 28th Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

This week I'll be here to chat with you, along with Rodney and Kalvin. You can start posting, we'll start responding at the top of the hour.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Hi Guys,

When I mark an order shipped in ebay, the system used to automatically update
the paypal file and show it as shipped. This no longer happens and I need to go
into paypal as well to mark the items shipped. Any idea why paypal no longer
registers updates from ebay?

I do not use the ebay/paypal shipping labels/postage, just postage stamps.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

d_m_dwr
Community Member

Hello,

I recently placed the winning bid on an item and within an hour paid via PayPal. Over 24 hours later the seller contacts me claiming they forgot to list a reserve on the item (the Auction was listed for a total of 7 days), and they want to relist the item with a reserve approximately 70% higher than my winning bid. To do this they would need my consent to cancel the payment which I refuse to do (I have denied it) as it is my belief that I have won the item and that eBay policy supports my claim that the seller should honour the winning bid/sale.

I have submitted the user’s username for violations of the Selling practice policies, but I am not 100% certain if I have done everything within my power to resolve this situation. I am hoping that you could let me know if their is anything else that I could do, possibly provide some insight into dealing with this situation.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@d_m_dwr wrote:

Hello,

I recently placed the winning bid on an item and within an hour paid via PayPal. Over 24 hours later the seller contacts me claiming they forgot to list a reserve on the item (the Auction was listed for a total of 7 days), and they want to relist the item with a reserve approximately 70% higher than my winning bid. To do this they would need my consent to cancel the payment which I refuse to do (I have denied it) as it is my belief that I have won the item and that eBay policy supports my claim that the seller should honour the winning bid/sale.

I have submitted the user’s username for violations of the Selling practice policies, but I am not 100% certain if I have done everything within my power to resolve this situation. I am hoping that you could let me know if their is anything else that I could do, possibly provide some insight into dealing with this situation.

Hi d_m_dwr,

Reporting is the best route to take in this situation - and yes, you're correct, you had won the item fairly, and the seller should honour the sale.

It's up to you how you'd want this transaction to conclude - knowing the seller may not send the item & end up in a sticky situation for both of you, it might be worth having a conversation with them to see if there's a middle ground to all this.

Best of luck!

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Thanks Kalvin, much appreciated.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@paulgg132 wrote:

Hi Guys,

When I mark an order shipped in ebay, the system used to automatically update
the paypal file and show it as shipped. This no longer happens and I need to go
into paypal as well to mark the items shipped. Any idea why paypal no longer
registers updates from ebay?

I do not use the ebay/paypal shipping labels/postage, just postage stamps.

Hello paulgg132,

I'm curious about the PayPal part of what you're saying, I have limited PayPal experience as a seller and I don't quite remember having to also mark items as shipped there. I have to run some test sales, will keep an eye for this and alert the relevant PayPal folks if I can observe the same problem.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Hi Raphael, 

Two days ago, after the announcement that eBay had removed the "Policy Compliance" section from seller Dashboards, I suddenly noticed that the "Account" and "Seller Status" buttons on my Dashboard had gone foggy/white.  I've also lost all my account details.  In addition, when clicking on the fogged-out "Seller Status" button, I get screens with contradictory information -- on one it says "Standard", on another "TRS" (which is what it should be). 

There was only one other person on the discussion boards this week who noted a similar problem, so I have no idea how widespread it may be, but it is a real concern if I'm unable to keep track of my eBay account and unable to verify my current seller status.  

Have you had any other reports of this issue, and do you know if it's being looked into and/or remedied?  Please keep in mind that this just occurred since the removal of the Policy Compliance button -- everything has been fine on the Dashboard up to 2 days ago. 

If you're able to "see" what I do, please take a look at my Dashboard today, as it's still not normal. 

Thanks very much.  

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

P.S. Re the Dashboard problem -- I've tried 2 different browsers (IE & Chrome), and get the same result.

Also, sorry!  The buttons are named "Discount" and "Account Status".  Clicking on  the "Discount" button shows "no discount", yet I still have TRS status, so something is mixed up.  The "Account Status" button is just gone. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Raphael, 

Two days ago, after the announcement that eBay had removed the "Policy Compliance" section from seller Dashboards, I suddenly noticed that the "Account" and "Seller Status" buttons on my Dashboard had gone foggy/white.  I've also lost all my account details.  In addition, when clicking on the fogged-out "Seller Status" button, I get screens with contradictory information -- on one it says "Standard", on another "TRS" (which is what it should be). 

There was only one other person on the discussion boards this week who noted a similar problem, so I have no idea how widespread it may be, but it is a real concern if I'm unable to keep track of my eBay account and unable to verify my current seller status.  

Have you had any other reports of this issue, and do you know if it's being looked into and/or remedied?  Please keep in mind that this just occurred since the removal of the Policy Compliance button -- everything has been fine on the Dashboard up to 2 days ago. 

If you're able to "see" what I do, please take a look at my Dashboard today, as it's still not normal. 

Thanks very much.  

Hi rose-dee,

The seller dashboard is currently being enhanced, the issues you are seeing are very likely caused by the facelift it's undergoing. You shouldn't see these things for very long, if the problems persist after the next few days please drop me a line and I'll coordinate troubleshooting with the Dashboard team.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Hello,

I am wondering if there is anything ebay can help me with my situation.  My buyer from Israel bought 3 items from me last June 12.   Total cost $64.95.   I sent the package via USPS First Class International a day later.  I am able to send my packages from Niagara Falls in NY, that's why I use USPS instead of Canada Post.  On June 30, he opened a case of INR.  I responded with him quickly and I gave him the tracking number provided by USPS, but as everybody knows, that tracking only shows the USA route.  On July 8th, ebay sided with him and refunded him.  I then checked Israel Post tracking online.  On July 30th, Israel Post is showing that the package has been delivered.  Now I have the proof that the item has been delivered.   I have been trying to email him but he is no longer responding.  I even send him a paypal invoice to try to get back $64.95.  What recourse do I have?  What can ebay do for me?  

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@caringplus.store wrote:

Hello,

I am wondering if there is anything ebay can help me with my situation.  My buyer from Israel bought 3 items from me last June 12.   Total cost $64.95.   I sent the package via USPS First Class International a day later.  I am able to send my packages from Niagara Falls in NY, that's why I use USPS instead of Canada Post.  On June 30, he opened a case of INR.  I responded with him quickly and I gave him the tracking number provided by USPS, but as everybody knows, that tracking only shows the USA route.  On July 8th, ebay sided with him and refunded him.  I then checked Israel Post tracking online.  On July 30th, Israel Post is showing that the package has been delivered.  Now I have the proof that the item has been delivered.   I have been trying to email him but he is no longer responding.  I even send him a paypal invoice to try to get back $64.95.  What recourse do I have?  What can ebay do for me?  

Hello caringplus.store,

For something like this you should appeal the decision made by the eBay Buyer Protection team. Gather your proof and follow the instructions here: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/appeals.html

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Hi -  I have a question about the Free listing promo for all sellers that was supposed to start today.  I listed a few items as "Buy it Now" listings and was charged 5 cents each time.  I can think of no reason I'm not getting the promo as I have an above standard rating.  Is this a "Glitch" or what???

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

OK, thank you Raphael.  I'll try to be patient...Smiley Happy

I must say, the removal of the "Policy Compliance" status was a big surprise.  I don't recall seeing it announced anywhere in advance.  For me, it was a helpful guide and a sort of advance warning system.  Often, to be honest, I'm not even sure what sort of policy infractions will be applied to the status rating, and as you know, sometimes they are unfairly applied.

Now it will be impossible to know if an unfair or inappropriate decision has been made in the background that will downgrade a seller's standing to the danger zone.  Or conversely, if an appropriate/fair decision has been made but the seller might be able to remedy it quickly.  At least previously, if that button changed, you knew you'd better investigate the reason.  

Can you elaborate on why this was removed?

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@forester_studios wrote:

Hi -  I have a question about the Free listing promo for all sellers that was supposed to start today.  I listed a few items as "Buy it Now" listings and was charged 5 cents each time.  I can think of no reason I'm not getting the promo as I have an above standard rating.  Is this a "Glitch" or what???

Hi forester_studios,

Mind double checking to make sure your listings aren't Good Til Cancelled? These aren't included in the promotion: http://ebay.ca/promo/2013/08_29.html

Thanks, 

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Thanks Raphael.  That was good info.  I did not know that there was such a process. 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

OK, thank you Raphael.  I'll try to be patient...Smiley Happy

I must say, the removal of the "Policy Compliance" status was a big surprise.  I don't recall seeing it announced anywhere in advance.  For me, it was a helpful guide and a sort of advance warning system.  Often, to be honest, I'm not even sure what sort of policy infractions will be applied to the status rating, and as you know, sometimes they are unfairly applied.

Now it will be impossible to know if an unfair or inappropriate decision has been made in the background that will downgrade a seller's standing to the danger zone.  Or conversely, if an appropriate/fair decision has been made but the seller might be able to remedy it quickly.  At least previously, if that button changed, you knew you'd better investigate the reason.  

Can you elaborate on why this was removed?

As far as I know the new iterartion of the seller dashboard will still have the policy compliance module. My best guess is that the issues you see are due to the backend work being done towards launching the new dashboard. It should only be temporary.

I have reached out to the dashboard team to know more, I'll get back to you.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

As far as I know the new iterartion of the seller dashboard will still have the policy compliance module. My best guess is that the issues you see are due to the backend work being done towards launching the new dashboard. It should only be temporary.

I have reached out to the dashboard team to know more, I'll get back to you.

Thanks Raphael, I'd appreciate that information.  You may be interested in Pierre LeBel's post below, in which this appeared to have been done at least on the .com side: 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/eBay-Eliminates-Policy-Compliance-Feature-in-Seller-Dashb...

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Items are 30 day listings. I never use "Good til Cancelled".
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

From the same post, I found the following statement especially remarkable: 

"eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore told EcommerceBytes that the Policy Compliance feature in the Seller Dashboard had been intended to show sellers how well they're following eBay rules and policies, but, he said, "it wasn't portraying an accurate snapshot of a seller's performance."" 

I'd be very interested to know why the feature couldn't be re-designed to in fact be an accurate portrayal, although I realize this is likely something we will never be allowed to know.  It seemed a very weak argument for removal of what many sellers seem to find a useful and helpful tool. 

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:
Thanks Raphael, I'd appreciate that information.  You may be interested in Pierre LeBel's post below, in which this appeared to have been done at least on the .com side: 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/eBay-Eliminates-Policy-Compliance-Feature-in-Seller-Dashb...

I actually was wrong. The Policy Compliance section of the Seller Dashboard did not provide an accurate snapshot of seller performance. Instead of sharing information that might not provide value in understanding your compliance, we have removed it. Besides, the seller dashboard being primarily a tool to measure one's performance standards, policy compliance already didn't have much business being there since they have no impact on your Seller Standards or your items' Best Match search results placement.

Please watch your eBay My Messages and email for any policy updates on your account. Repeated violations of lower severity policies, or violating higher severity policies (such as shill bidding), can result in account suspension. The messages we send will include additional information about actions we might take.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply