Bad dsr from eastern Canadian buyer for us not being french

How can a bad buyer get away with leaving bad dsr ratings due to us not being french therefore not messaging them in french. We know for a fact that they are the one that did it, we keep track daily.

We do not understand their last statement either.

Some help with translating the following might help:

Je parle francais et je suis tannee d'entendre parler de ce Cd... Le vendeur compren rien a se que je dis alors laisser moi tranquille

We tried online translations but it would seem that they are all for real french and not for whatever this is.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@maximus7001 wrote:

How can a bad buyer get away with leaving bad dsr ratings due to us not being french therefore not messaging them in french. We know for a fact that they are the one that did it, we keep track daily.

We do not understand their last statement either.

Je parle francais et je suis tannee d'entendre parler de ce Cd... Le vendeur compren rien a se que je dis alors laisser moi tranquille

We tried online translations but it would seem that they are all for real french and not for whatever this is.

Let me try out my old Montreal street French ...

I speak French and I am tired of hearing about this CD. The seller does not understand anything that I say so leave me alone.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

It was many decades ago that I lived in Ottawa.

Met a person who was fluent in English and in  French.... Something very normal for people living in Ottawa.

When he spoke English  it sounded as if he grew up speaking English  and only English.

When he spoke French  it sounded as if he grew up speaking French and only French.

------------------------------------------

It was one day he was shopping at a department store in Montreal...

He was asking for something ..... in English.....  He was being ignored by the clerk(s)  behind the counter.

No one was paying attention to him...

Finally got the attention of the manager....  and he spoke perfect French...

You had to pick the people behind the counter ... off the floor... and they jumped to serve him..

Wonder what the manager said to those clerks  afterwards?

What this person did was done on purpose....  if only to have a "little fun"

----------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Canada is a bilingual country... officially English and French..

This means going to school  where the language for instruction is French... such as it is in Winnipeg... French immersion right from Kindergarten

However, in many parts of Canada... the second language taught in schools is ... not... French.

In some parts of Manitoba... Ukrainian is the second language taught in every day school..

In some parts of Alberta... the same  applies to German..

In some schools.. a second language is taught at the end of regular school hours.

--------------------------------------------------------

For some of today's people... their parents or grandparents... made their last name.....English....

Today  the children  go back to the original form as it was before ancestors came to Canada.

------------------------------------------------------

I did hear of a person  who spoke  fluent Russian.... He was Canadian born... his parents had come from Russia.

He got a job as a translator  and moved to the US.  Someone suggested that he change his name... and become "English"  and more acceptable in the US.

His response....  He is Russian... speaks Russian... and in his job... it helps  if he viewed as a "true" Russian.... No name change.

---------------------------------------------------

Many people  make the mistake of assuming there is only one language...

For many People... down east...  French is the "only" language.

Canada is full of people  from every where in this world of ours. 

Come visit Folklorama  in Winnipeg  in early August of each year... and see the reality of Canada.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I have sold so many books in languages other than English..... 

that I do not have enough fingers and toes to count all of the languages.

I have never had a problem...

Major languages other than English include French,  Ukrainian (because of my ancestry),  German and Mennonite history.

The rest was incidental.  ( I do not know the German language, without a dictionary)

My most unusual sale was to a buyer in Texas...  It was Alcoholics Anonymous, published in Ukrainian, at about 1995.  Most likely bought as a first edition. because that was the buyer's only question before he bought this book.

It was at a garage sale that I once bought two books  about the  Czechoslovakia hockey team winning the hockey gold medal at the Nagano Olympics... 

Seller asked if I speak Czech... My response was.... "I read pictures"

Both books sold very well on eBay.

I can also read music...and sold lots of music books and sheet music many years ago.....played the accordion... helped put me through University.

--------------------------------------------

My languages... English, French, Ukrainian, Russian with a dictionary, music, and pictures..  Pictures are something everyone can "read"

and... I do not need a magnifying glass to determine if an image is a print, etching,  woodcut, a serigraph, or an original piece of artwork....  and then there are photogravures, a unique way to reproduces photographs.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@maximus7001 wrote:

Let me try out my old Montreal street French ...

I speak French and I am tired of hearing about this CD. The seller does not understand anything that I say so leave me alone.

Yup, that's about it.  Although I'd say the word 'tanné(e)' is a little closer to "fed up" or "sick and tired", but 'poco's'  got the gist of it.

However, I must say that it sounds as if your buyer's main issue is not that you don't speak French, but that you're not understanding what his/her complaint about the CD is. 

And yes, as an aside, online translators are really only useful if you speak enough of the translated language to know what's wrong with the translation (LOL).  The biggest issue with computers trying to translate human language is most often one of context.  Speaking as one trained as a (human) translator and interpreter decades ago, this is a problem programmers have been trying to solve since the 1970's, and still can't get right.  

Not to mention that a lot of humans (including your buyer) don't always use correct spelling or grammar -- that will confound any computer!  

If you want to post the actual details of the buyer's complaint here, I'm sure I can help with the translation. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I had a book published about Taras Shevchenko,  a well known Ukrainian poet.

I found things confusing....  so I consulted a Ukrainian-English dictionary..

Still confused...  and then it dawned on me... check to see if the book was written in Russian.... and it was....

Nothing is perfect   when trying to understand languages, and subtle differences  between languages.

Ukrainian and Russian have the same alphabet... but there are enough subtle differences  to make these languages so very different

-------------------------------------------------

Quebec dialectic French is uniquely different than Parisian, - the official French-French.

but then  I suspect that even within France   there are unique language differences...

There is the official form of the language...  that in dictionaries... and then there is everything else that people say.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Each language is constantly evolving... even the English language  and what is proper form.

It used to be that we would say

Between you and me

Today it is

Between you and I

My fourth grade Language teacher is turning over in her grave.... Ouch!

--------------------------------------------

and now ... Double-double ... is in a dictionary.... 

plus many other unique and new things... and new ways of saying something

Just ....Between you and me.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

It doesn't sound very fair to the seller when the buyer chose to buy from someone who didn't speak their home language and then complain...

Fortunately my international buyers are rarely a pain in the rear. I'm only fluent in English while my Japanese is probably only at kindergarten level LOL. Japanese grammar really confuses me.

I did learn French when I was a kid but since I disliked learning it I forgot everything I have learned.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I do not see your negative... did you get it removed?

I can also help if you need any translation made 😉

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

The buyer did not leave a neg, only bad dsr's. She is also an ebay noob with 3 feedback, one of which is from us (before she messed our dsr's). She did not complain about the item, just about us not being french.

I believe the message was intended for ebay and not us as a seller which as we all know is common for noobs to post strange messages here on the forums thinking that their seller is going to get the message or that ebay itself is going to respond.

Also I don't think they knew that dsr is not a survey....

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I would reply tom both your feeback left and feedback received and tell it like it is

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

As mentioned above, the seller was not complaining about your language choice, just that she was sick and tired of dealing with the CD.

but then  I suspect that even within France   there are unique language differences...

I took French classes for years as a federal 'fonctionnaire', and my teachers were from Montreal, Haiti, Gatineau, Normandy, and Val d'Or.  And I worked with francophones from Ontario, Gatineau, Acadie, Morocco, and Alsace. And every one had a different accent.

The guy from Normandy was most confusing because it was French French, but every now and then sounded like Quebecois and he used a slightly different vocabulary from either Paris or Montreal.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

There was nothing to deal with. French person bought something through an english website. Buyer was angry that we did not message her in french and was upset that the rest of the world is not catering to her wishes. Her other messages were easy to understand with google translate. She is irate about the rest of the world not speaking her kind of french and that non french people are dirt. It was just this one message that we could not understand and asked for help with a translation here on the forums.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply