Be wary about using Canada Post "Small Packet International" mailing

Canadian sellers beware!!!  Sending packages outside North America via Canada Post "Small Packet International" is not safe even if the buyer agrees to have the item sent this way.  If the buyer never gets it and leaves a negative comment, the first thing eBay does if you talk to them is ask you for the tracking number.  Since you can't provide that, it is highly unlikely that eBay will decide in your favor and remove the negative as happened with me (see my 1 negative comment!!). 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

you are right,only send outside of canada and us with tracked parcel.,had same thing happen to me once,

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

While I would NEVER NEVER NEVER use Small Packet International Surface, I use SPI Air Mail all the time with no problems.Small Packet is not insured tracked or Delivery Confirmed by Canada Post.

So what?

If the item arrives quickly, the buyer is happy and her cost is low.

If you used Surface, it will take two or three months and the buyer will be unhappy. As she should be.

Never ship without tracking an item that you cannot afford to lose/refund.

I sell to readers, seamstresses, philatelists and deltiologists, all of whom are very honest and usually read the description. Your mileage may differ in your category.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

BTW- when you calculate the costs, you should look at how many successful shipments /feedback you have had.

One neg out of 250+ this year or 2000+ in your selling career?

How much money would you have spent on insurance/tracking? How many sales would you have missed because of expensively tracked shipping?

My advice would be.

Take a deep breath.

Decide never to use Surface shipping.

When a buyer complains, politely try to get her to hold off to Day 30. Then refund on Day 29 if there has been no delivery. Trust your buyer.

Losses are part of business. It's not personal. (But there is a place for the Blocked Bidder List. Don't be foolishly trusting.)

Refund BEFORE the buyer goes to PP. That's worse than the straight financial loss of refunding.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply