Best Match : IS IT LEGAL ?

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
Hi,

I have a few items listed at fixed price ($0.35). I checked on eBay.com (without log in) to see where my listings (ending in less than 1 day) were located in the BEST MATCH results. I browsed from page 1 to 8 and didn't found them, while items (from USA) ending in 6 days were showing in the first page, so I stopped (45 pages of results!).

I have 100% score, more than 1100 feedbacks, my DSR is 4.9, 4.9, 4.9, 4.6... Since the beginning I do exactly what eBay suggests me to do. I do it BY THE BOOK since 2006, and never complained before. But thing is, like many Canadian sellers, I have a bad SHIPPING CHARGE DSR even if I don't make a damn penny of profit on shipments. I am calling this one the "Canada Post's rating" (not mine). This is the only weakness I have as a seller, which I guess can penalizes me in the BEST MATCH algorithm (along with the fact that I am located in Canada and not in the US).

As BEST MATCH is now the default setting on eBay, I was wondering if it was legal to not offer the same quality of service to all customers (sellers, in this case). I mean if we all pay the same price, we should all receive the same quality of "product" (or service) from eBay, isn't it ? From a legal point of view, as we are all customers and have rights in Canada, can they offer a very variable quality ?

P.S.: One last thing, is BEST MATCH a US economy protectionism tool ? We Canadian sellers are definitely pushed away from the US market place...
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
By "same quality of service", I mean of course SAME EXPOSURE ON EBAY...
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

dagr8_renaud
Community Member
HI bro , I posted that here the first month the DSR got in effect , everyone told me to enhance my seller practices yad yad yad truth is I have to work my butt off I send 2 - 3 emails to all my customers telling them they can look up the price of shipping on the package and that in canada we dont have as many options as in the us etc etc , plus I forward them to the www.leavingfeedback.com for more info on DSR . truth is my S&H charges dsr is now at 4.9 , you know the worst part ? now its my communications that are down to 4.6 , I have no idea why since I message them too much I guess it pisses a few off , who knows ? one thing I know for sure the DSR system is not only flawed but misleading to buyers eBay set to 5 stars anything below that is below standard for eBay , truth is standard is synonim to average not to perfect .
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

"We Canadian sellers are definitely pushed away from the US market place... "

Best Match on eBay.ca means all Canadian sellers get preferential treatment in Search placement.

Fair to other sellers? .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Its not only Canadian sellers that are at a disadvantage. I have seen USA sellers with 100% feedback, excellent DSR, offering Free shipping, have their listings that ended that day listed on the very last page.
"Prioritizing" Canadian sellers on eBay.ca is a joke! Anyone that wants to buy anything automatically goes to eBay.com (including me!)

"is it legal not to offer the same quality of service to all customers?"

Is it legal for teachers to choose which child they will teach and to ignore others?

Is it legal for a lawyer not to provide the same defence for all his clients?

When a customer is intentionally given lesser goods than he pays for, is it not fraud?

This Best Match is equivalent to you going to the car wash. Some will get a thorough job while others will only have their windshield wiped. Can they charge the same?

When we list, there is a disclaimer that we agree to about the level of service/exposure. We agree because we have no choice so its "agreement under duress" which has no legal standing.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Fair, what does fair mean? Can you please define this term...I have never used it on ebay.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

pierrelebel (17116 ) View Listings | Report 18-05-08 09:47 EDT 16 of 71
"How does everyone feel about this "Best Match" Feature? "

I like it, I really do

Why? Because I find my listings consistently being advantaged. They find their weay closer to the top at the expense of other listings closing earlier.

What is there not to like? 😉
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
In fact, my auction listings are advantaged, but not my fixed price listing... How is it possible ? EBay is making more profit on BUY IT NOW items. If I am the same seller, same performance and same location, why is there a difference between these two listing styles ?
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Because we pay less to list "Fixed Priced" than "Auction" listings. Let's face it, the "Fixed Priced" listings have become nothing more than "Store listing" at a higher insertion rate. I doubt if they get anymore exposure. Ebay also benefits by having more "Active" listings and doesn't need to hold anymore 5 or 10 cent listing specials.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

The prime factor in ranking for FP is Previous Sales.

The prime factor in ranking for Auctions is Time Ending.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Right, whatever. I don't believe a thing anymore when it comes to Best Match.
I am presently revising my listings and the "Revise another listing" feature is not working.
I am also revising to "Immediate Payment Required" by PayPal and often I have to remove the "Accepting Money Order" or it stays. Sometimes twice.
These are basic features and don't work so I highly question how all the different factors that select priority in Best Match can work.
If you can't get something to work simple tasks, its a pretty good assumption that it won't work on more complicated matters.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply