Best way to proceed?

Well, I got my first neutral yesterday, and like my one and only negative it felt like a kick in the teeth. I wanted to lash out immediately with a negative but like a good girl I held myself in check until I calmed down.

The buyer is from France and left this FB response: "je ne l'imaginé pas si petite".

My French isn't that good anymore but I believe this buyer was dissatisfied with his purchase because the ring was smaller than he thought it would be. In my listing it states not only the dimensions of the ring but the fact that it is adjustable.

What is the best way to proceed with this? I have never done a mutual FB withdrawal before as I have had only one and didn't realize until too late that I could file for MFW.

Should I email him and politely ask him if he will agree to retraction as my listing does give dimensions/size? Keep in mind that he may not speak or read English (maybe that is why he didn't know the size?). Or should I neg him first, wait a few days and then send an email?

Any advice?

Judy
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Best way to proceed?

comics-rock
Community Member
neg him........while you still can!!! ]:)
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

comics-rock
Community Member
...then ask for mutual withdrawl.....]:)
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

comics-rock
Community Member
ha ha ha heh!!! ]:)
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

Judy,

You could just let it go (my suggestion) or you could neutral him back and request MFW. If you need a French neutral text I can spell one out for you.

What is the auction #?

Xena
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

Auction # 110216201565

Thanks Xena.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

Yeah, I can see what happened.

The picture does make it look quite wide (good photography LOL!) If I had not specifically bothered to read the finer print, I too would have thought the ring was bigger. My initial thought was that this a bracelet about 5-6 cm wide.

Then, your measurements are in imperial. Most Europeans have never experienced the Imperial system. After years of living here, I still struggle with it. In Europe, Canada is deemed to be Metric and the USA (and UK) Imperial.

Technically, what you state on your listing is correct, no doubt but, if I were you, I would make the dimensions stand out more and also include metric measurements to avoid a like scenario in the future.

As to retaliatory FB, that's up to you. Ever since Kat caused me to reflect on the neutrals I left, I have changed the way I leave FB.

What would I do in your case? Leave the buyer +FB and send a short note that the sizes were (clearly) listed and that you regret that the item did not meet his expectation.

Then, move on to new ventures...

Xena
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

momoftwingles2
Community Member
When I work with my buyers from France, Germany or other country where I do not know the language, I use www.babelfish.com It's great. I write the English in my e-mail and then I put the French translation. That way both of us know what was written! I also put a disclaimer that I'm using an online translator so that they know it's subject to interpretation. Susan
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

What is the best way to proceed with this?

Ignore and move on, the neutral will have no effect on you good or bad. Leaving a neg for this buyer will not show YOU in a good light.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

Thanks for all the input. I think I will leave a positive and a note as Xena suggested. I will also try babelfish for the translation as momoftwingles2 recommended. And I agree with recped that leaving good feedback shows me in a better light. I have read a lot of negative feedback comments from sellers that really turned me off of the seller, not the buyer, no matter how justified they might have been.

It's funny Xena. I started doing my listings in metric and then changed to Imperial because the Americans didn't know metric. But I do have quite a few sales overseas so I guess it would be a good idea to include both. (Back to revising listings).

I wonder how long it will take my competitor to copy that too....lol...!!! I also started with smaller pictures...these are from my supplier...but the competition uses the big ones and I don't want her to get an edge.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

Congrats on your good choice, Judy.

You have nothing to gain by being aggressive and nothing to lose by being "above it all". Your customer was disappointed for a reason (without implying it being your fault) and it boils down to perception.

Only a small fraction of this planet's population is still struggling with the Imperial system but for those, I have bought a tape measure, ruler, micrometer and scale in Imperial:-)

If you need to include sizes/weights/measurements, just list both. There is no downside to this - quite the contrary.

As to your competitor... you spend way too much time worrying about what others will do. Every day do the best you can and cross bridges only when the need arises.

Xena
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

Well, it does pay to be "above it all" Xena.

I used babelfish and sent a message to the buyer expressing my disappointment that he did not contact me before leaving neutral feedback. I mentioned that the dimensions were listed and the ring is adjustable. Also that eBay considers a neutral a negative and holds that on your record.

I held off on leaving feedback until last night when I finally left a positive. This morning I received a message of apology from him and an offer to retract. Whoopee!!
I just sent off the form and I hope he will still comply when he finds out that he also loses his positive feedback. If it was my choice, I would let him keep it.

I do worry about my competitor but I have a unique product designed by a Canadian artist who I know personally. I don't think it is right to devalue his craft by offering it at ridiculously low prices. I don't think Tony would want that either. He is not looking after distribution himself anymore. I have talked to the head honcho of the company that now looks after his products and he agrees with me. He is also going to see what he can do about it. Now I am waiting to see what happens. But I am very impatient....lol....I will admit that much.

Thanks again for your advice.

Judy
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

whoscloset
Community Member
Good call Judy!

It pays to be professional. 😉

Monique

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

nxtdriver
Community Member
Reward the buyer with the same fb they gave to you and move on with your life. If you take the time to write a description and they lack the skills to read it, tough cookies for them!!
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

I should have just given him a neutral too. I sent him the mutual withdrawal form and nothing has happened. He has nothing to gain, only to lose because he would lose his positive.

Oh well....time to move on....just let him try to buy from me again!!......]:)
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

I spoke too soon!!!! The buyer withdrew the neutral feedback. I took him off my blocked bidders list and sent him a nice thank you note explaining that eBay does not inform buyers that a neutral is a negative and is held against them.

I noticed some changes in the Feedback Forum. They have changed the format to educate the buyers. It still says basically the same thing as before.

A buyer can also rate the seller on additional criteria — accuracy of item description, communication, shipping time, and shipping and handling charges. These detailed seller ratings do not count toward the Feedback Score and are anonymous. This means that sellers can't tell which buyer left which detailed rating, so buyers can feel free to leave ratings that honestly tell the story about their experience.

They are telling them that our DSR's don't count against us....just because it doesn't affect the total feedback most certainly does not mean that it doesn't hurt us.

It also tells them to rate us on shipping time.....but there is not mention of the fact that they are to rate our shipping time and not the shipping service.

I personally am becoming increasingly frustrated with eBay. Xena, you said I worry too much about my competition. Just before the Feb. 20 fee changes, the Big Three in One biggest jewellery seller on eBay flooded my category, which I initially had almost to myself with my rings, with about a thousand listings of very "pretty" crappy imported jewellery.

I haven't had a sale in 2 days, I have Very few watchers and fewer bidders. My traffic is way down. Am I discouraged? Yes. Will eBay give them better placement in search results with Best Match? Yes. With their low selling prices they sell more so it will reflect as a "good buying experience". I just read some of their feedback. I did get a laugh out of one buyer's comments which was: "My jeweler says he make better jewelry sitting on the toilet".

Will the new system stop this seller from selling low and charging excessive S/H? No.

I am not giving up. I average between 20 to 24% repeat customers per month and will still work on giving good service, fair prices and unique good quality jewellery.

And if that doesn't work, I will be taking most of the stock from my store and selling it at craft shows where I actually make money. The rest of it will be suddenly flooding the market at 99 cents start with high S/H.

Sorry for the doom and gloom....I will give the new system time to work....and then we will see.....?:|
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Best way to proceed?

Westernstar,

I sympathize with your frustration, however, it is you that needs to adjust your marketing strategy, methinks. It's a cruel world out there when it comes to on-line selling.

You have aprx. 6 seconds to make enough of an impression to entice a potential buyer to "stay".

A couple of months ago I increased my shipping costs by aprx. 15-20%. Not only did my average selling price not go down, it actually increased!

Then, about a month ago, a competitor "opened shop", basically mimicking my modus operandi (mix of products, quantities per auction, end-times, etc, etc). I finally figured out who was behind this brand new account, someone I had been selling to.

He has the "USA location" advantage, lists about the same amount of items each day, yet it has not affected my sales.

I attribute this to my customer service. My monthly repeat customer rate is aprx. 250% and I believe that is where the difference comes to bear.

What I am trying to say is that you should (must) position yourself with "uniqueness", be it it in product, product combos, service, or "feel" of your auctions - preferable a mix of all of the above.

There is plenty of business to be had on eBay and it's just a matter of finding that little "sweet spot". I genuinely hope that things improve for you.

Xena
Message 17 of 17
latest reply