Beware paypal xpresspost has no signature

If you are sending something high value that needs a signature and you are using paypal shipping then you are sol.

We have had to cough up $50 a few times at the post office to send things properly. Coming up with $50 in a pinch for this is ridiculous when it is supposed to be part of xpresspost. That is the whole idea behind xpresspost. Still waiting on the $50 refund for cancelling the bunk paypal xpresspost  label that has no signature option. This item was going to NJ.

If we had sent it with the paypal label the buyer could have got an $850 item for free.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Xpresspost USA has signature included. PayPal Xpresspost USA has signature because it is included  by Canada Post. However, PayPal shipping form when you fill it out is messed up and shows it as an option that you cannot click on but it is included.

This has been discussed a few times in the past 5 years. eBay and PayPal never fixed it despite being told about it. Almost nothing gets fixed with PayPal shipping when reported. Terrible service.

Here is a link to Parcel services to the USA and International with Xpresspost in Section 7 showing that Signature is included.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp

Xpresspost international has optional pay for signature to select countries. See section 7 farther down. I do not know if the PayPal XpressPost International page works for signature. I believe it does.

Xpresspost Canada has signature as optional pay for service and as far as I know, the PayPal form allows checking it off.  Here is the Parcel services for Canada with Xpresspost on page 7 showing Signature is optional.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpscanada-e.asp

Which country were you trying to get Xpresspost. It sounds like USA from you post. Did you print the PayPal label? If you did, it would show signature checked off on the label.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes, 'poco' is right, this has been a problem for ages -- the signature service not being displayed on the Paypal details label input screen for Xpresspost USA, even though the service is included.  For Xpresspost Canada, I'm pretty sure the check-box option was there, as 'poco' mentioned.  

I assume you were sending the item to the U.S.?  For Xpresspost USA, it's clear once the label is printed off that the signature is required -- you can see the box provided on the printout and big lettering beside it.  I'll see if I can find a fairly recent Xpresspost USA to scan and post here as an example.  

It's unfortunate you ended up paying extra money at the P.O., but you don't have to next time. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I send 2 expensive items to 2 different buyers in USA by XperssPost as they wanted to received them in time for Christmas and both of them were signed by buyers.  I never have problems with that like yourself.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Don't panic.

It is possible to use a pen to tick off the box where Signature Confirmation is required.

It is not actually necessary to do it on the computer.

In the same way, if a buyer neglects to add his apartment number to his PP address you can add it in pen if you know it (for example if there is an apt number on the eBay address but not on the PP one).

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

On the screen you fill out it says "not available" beside signature option. Nowhere on the printed label did it say signature required.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

On the screen you fill out it says "not available" beside signature option. Nowhere on the printed label did it say signature required.

Yes, this is the bug that 'poco' was referring to.  Strictly speaking, the signature option is not available on Xpresspost USA because, logically, it's already included.  Maybe that's why the Paypal label designers didn't include a check-box for it when they set up the screen.  What they should  have done to avoid confusion is put a line somewhere in the Xpresspost USA screen indicating signature service is included.   

Don't let this throw you off.   Paypal doesn't determine what Canada Post's service levels are.  If you print out an Xpresspost USA label and still have concerns, what I'd suggest is that you take the labelled parcel to your Post Office and have them verify that a signature will be obtained upon delivery.  

In effect, it isn't Canada Post that will be obtaining the signature anyway.  I believe Xpresspost USA gets "translated" into USPS Priority Post once it reaches the U.S., and that always has signature confirmation.  If I recall, they take the signature on their little digital gizmos or a separate manifest, so having the signing box on the label probably isn't even important.  

I would rest assured that if you print out a Paypal label for Xpresspost USA and pay for Xpresspost USA service, you'll be getting the full services included by Canada Post.  The lack of a check-box is irrelevant as long as you have your receipt for the Xpresspost USA label payment. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@maximus7001 wrote:

Yes, this is the bug that 'poco' was referring to.  Strictly speaking, the signature option is not available on Xpresspost USA because, logically, it's already included.  Maybe that's why the Paypal label designers didn't include a check-box for it when they set up the screen.  What they should  have done to avoid confusion is put a line somewhere in the Xpresspost USA screen indicating signature service is included.   

Don't let this throw you off.   Paypal doesn't determine what Canada Post's service levels are.  If you print out an Xpresspost USA label and still have concerns, what I'd suggest is that you take the labelled parcel to your Post Office and have them verify that a signature will be obtained upon delivery.  

In effect, it isn't Canada Post that will be obtaining the signature anyway.  I believe Xpresspost USA gets "translated" into USPS Priority Post once it reaches the U.S., and that always has signature confirmation.  If I recall, they take the signature on their little digital gizmos or a separate manifest, so having the signing box on the label probably isn't even important.  

I would rest assured that if you print out a Paypal label for Xpresspost USA and pay for Xpresspost USA service, you'll be getting the full services included by Canada Post.  The lack of a check-box is irrelevant as long as you have your receipt for the Xpresspost USA label payment. 

Paypal, in co-operation with eBay, working in partnership with PB to avoid confusion?

That would be a brave new world.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 8
latest reply