Bought an item, paid, then seller asks for more money to cover shipping

I bought an item, paid for it, then I'm contacted by the seller saying it's going to cost more to ship. The listing stated $5 shipping and the seller is asking for $10 more. I'm given the option to pay the extra or accept the refund. I go with the latter, of course, but now I can't even leave feedback on this transaction, nor can I find an appropriate channel through which I can report this...

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Asking for more money for postage is a violation of the terms of agreement. A seller cannot do that.

Unfortunately, neither can he be compelled to ship an item.

You will be allowed to leave feedback for this. Don't accept their cancellation request.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

eBay didn't give me the option of accepting the cancellation or not, once the seller refunded the payment, and now the option to leave feedback is gone.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Are you certain? Seller-cancelled orders are still subject to feedback. You only have to find it first. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Ah, yes, I found it. It's accessible via the mass-feedback page, where you can leave feedback comments on multiple items at once. I had to click "Leave Feedback" on another item, then expand the list to show all purchases. There's no direct link to leave feedback on the item page of the refunded item or next to it on my purchase history page...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The possibility of bad feedback is still a deterrent for many sellers who might otherwise considering doing what this one did with the shipping costs.

Also, the seller will get what's called a defect behind-the-scenes for cancelling an order.

According to the standards set out for sellers by ebay, the two main contributing factors for sending buyers away mad is (a) cancelled orders and (b) orders that arrive later than promised. These are the biggest sins a seller can do. To many and selling privileges will be restricted. Most sellers, when realizing they made a big mistake with shipping costs, will eat it and ship anyway. 

I mean, seriously, I found ebay had made an error with dimensional limits for a large international package that prevented me from mailing the order with the postage service the buyer bought, so that it had to go via Xpresspost only which cost ME an extra $98 in postage. And I paid it and sent it. I must stress this was a mistake made by the Calculated Shipping Tool, not me, a verified mistake. And it cost me $98 in my own money to send the order to the buyer and I did not even consider cancelling it. 

It's not the buyer's fault that the ShippingTool was incorrect. Neither is it the buyer's fault that the seller miscalculated the postage cost. 

A purchase is a purchase. If you've paid for it, you have every reason to expect it will be shipped to you. Period. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@lorvanallen wrote:

Ah, yes, I found it. It's accessible via the mass-feedback page, where you can leave feedback comments on multiple items at once. I had to click "Leave Feedback" on another item, then expand the list to show all purchases. There's no direct link to leave feedback on the item page of the refunded item or next to it on my purchase history page...

Odd.  But thanks for explaining that.  Next time someone says they can't leave FB and if there is still time t his suggestion can be offered as a possible "workaround".   🙂 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply