Broken item, won't reship, won't refund.

Hi, so I bought this item about three months ago, and it shipped in broken a month later. I immediately emailed the seller, who didn't respond for a few days until I opened a case, and he said he would ship a new one. The new item didn't come in a month later, so I gave him a neutral review and asked for a refund. 

Ever since, we've been emailing back and forth because he says he's shipped the item, and he claims that he has refunded me, and he has not. Because I had already opened and closed a case, I can't open a new one. What to do to get my money back? 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Okay.

You are dealing with a liar and a cheat.

He never sent the replacement.

He scammed you when he talked you into dropping the claim in favour of a replacement.

In hindsight. Never accept an offer of a replacement, particularly from overseas. There is no reason to think that the replacement will be any better than the original.

In particular, there is a newish scam where the unhappy buyer opens an Item Not Received Dispute (yours was "Not As Described", I assume) and the seller promises a replacement of the item 'lost in the mail".

With more than 30 years of mail order behind me, I can assure you that actual losses in the mail are vanishingly unlikely. That first item was never sent, and may never have existed.

By the time the buyer catches on the 45 days for a Paypal Dispute have passed. Or as in your case, the promise of a replacement encourages the naive buyer to cancel the Dispute.

There is a possible safety net.

Go to the credit card you actually paid with. (PP is just a mediator) Phone the 1-800 number and ask about a chargeback. The clerk will need a lot of information about the transaction (dates, payments, transaction numbers) so have those handy.

But three months? Act immediately. Cards have longer deadlines, but they do have deadlines.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Oh btw.

One way to ensure that even an honest seller will stop cooperating is to leave negative or neutral feedback. That's the last step in a failed transaction.

You have up to 60 days to leave feedback. Wait at least until the Dispute is completed. You can also leave a Response indefinitely. Like feedback, Responses should be calm and factual.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply