Bulk Shipping

Hey everybody!

Quick question to the sellers out there... When you guys order your products, how do you get it shipped to you? I'm trying to expand my business here... I am in the process of registering myself as a business in Ontario, and currently sell in my local flea market. But I'm looking to get more supplies. The suppliers I have in mind charge me for shipping (obviously). Now I've had my experiences with both UPS and FedEx, while they offer amazing service, I am not interested in paying their outrageous brokerage chargers. Now, with USPS, I'm still getting screwed over with crazy prices. A $250 order, using a USPS shipping calculator, comes out to around $119 in shipping. Whaaat 😐

Now I'm thinking about opening up a FedEx account.. I heard you can get up to 20% off shipping? Or maybe using a freight forwarder.. But I think I'll be back in the same situation as I was before..

Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks 😄

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Bulk Shipping

It might be worth your while to look at UPS and FedEx 3 or 4 day Express shipping. The rates are somewhat higher, but you will not be charged Brokerage, like you will with their Economy or Ground shipping. Also, maybe if you order a bigger quantity at a time, the supplier will cover shipping for you.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

"When you guys order your products, how do you get it shipped to you?"

Prior to my retirement, whenever I purchased large lots from the USA, I always used UPS, yet the much hated UPS !

In most instances, it makes sense to use basic ground (economical) shipping.  It gets to you within two or three days from most locations in the USA.

Brokerage fees ate not as bad as often suggested on these boards.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html 

It is easy to make arrangements with USP to pay for taxes with your credit card as soon as the shipment has left the supplier, avoiding COD charges.

Or you can use the postal system. Not that much cheaper, definitely slower and not as convenient.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

@ggsale27

But wouldn't the cost of the upgrade come to the same amount as with brokerage charges? The supplier covers shipping on orders over $1000. My orders are normally smaller than that.

@pierrelebel

So if I preauthorize UPS with my credit card, would that cover COD charges only? Or brokerage as well?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

Prepayment by credit covers : taxes, brokerage fee, disbursement fee

It eliminates COD fees ($4.25).

When purchasing/importing wholesale you have to start thinking like big business.  Those costs are just costs of doing business.

Time is important.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

I guess that's the cost of doing business!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

Merc, "cost of doing business", are very wise words. My cost of goods sold number is stupid low. Today's acquisitions run about $2 on my retail $100. Yeah, I paid $2 to sell something worth $100.

Where's the sign-up sheet!

Well, I schlepp wrecking yards in all weather. Sometimes -40C. Sometimes +40C. Today was cloudy, -10C, but it had snowed about 10cm. That is tough slogging getting through that stuff. Sitting in frozen cars. Working with bare hands. 10K toolbag over my shoulder.

I guess that's the cost of doing business!

Photobucket
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

That's awesome! I've been to a wreckage yard twice, and some of the things you can find there are incredible! There's isn't one anywhere close to where I currently live, though.

It just sucks that shipping is really expensive now coming out of anywhere besides Asia.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

Another question to you guys that import regularly:

I heard from a buddy of mine at work that if you have a registered business, you can write off some of the costs of importing on your income taxes? Like shipping, duties, brokerage, etc. Is that true? Or am I dreaming?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

aqyera
Community Member

import always by couriers, but avoid ground and ups standard from usa.

you are taxed from net income, so all legitimate business expenses are pre-tax.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

" you can write off some of the costs of importing on your income taxes? Like shipping, duties, brokerage, etc. Is that true?"

In general terms the answer is yes but it is not that simple.

The shipping cost for goods coming in should be incorporated in your cost of goods

For example, if you buy 100 widgets for $500.00 and the shipping cost was $100.00, your total cost would be $600.00 or $6.00 each.

You then calculate your gross profit by substracting your cost of goods from the selling price. For example, selling at $20.00 minus cost of goods ($6.00) leaves a gross profit of $14.00 per widget.

The same principle applies for duty although very few items are subject to import duty..

As far as consumption tax is concerned (GST/HST) if your business is registered with GST/HST, then it is not a factor since you get refunded 100% of all GST/HST paid on your purchases and business related expenses. If you are not yet registered, then the tax paid at time of purchase or import must be added to your cost  the same way as incoming shipping charge.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

Makes sense. Thanks guys!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

And you can always self broker your parcels coming in. It takes time to learn the system, but it will save you on the brokerage fees, it just depends how valuable your time is.

This requires you to drive to the UPS depot, then drive to the CBSA, get all the tarrif codes, enter it along with your business #, hand it in, wait, and pay the duty. Then you can wait for the pkg to be delivered (likely next day) or go back and pick it up. It all depends on how valuable your time is.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Bulk Shipping

I'm a full time university student, so the only time I could go to the border to broker the items myself would be late at night, and I'm sure they're closed by then.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply