Buyer can not pay for item

br0ker0
Community Member
eBay is refusing to calculate shipping cost as set up, refusing to allow me to adjust the item, basically refusing to be a use of any kind.

Shipping is set up as basic bubble mailer.. Why is it having such a issue figuring this out, and what can I do to fix this?
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

br0ker0
Community Member

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

If the item is over 2cm you are probably running into a measurement problem between Canada Post and USPS. The answer, if you can change the measurements in your listing, is to make them a centimetre larger, which will match CP's standards with the USPS minimum.

This does not change the rate.

If all else fails, tell the customer to check his Paypal account and send him an invoice through there directly. Make sure you note the eBay transaction number on the PP invoice.

You can assure him that PP's Buyer Protection is as strong as eBay's.

In future, double check that your Canada Post measurements are compatible with USPS. And use metric, if you are not already. CP went metric in 1974 and every other measure is somewhere between approximate and inaccurate.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If this is for the item already sold figure out the shipping price at the Canada Post website and then you can send another invoice and put the correct shipping cost on it. If you are sending the package to the U.S. you can use light packet USA.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

If you are sending it within Canada and the package will be less than 2cm thick then you can send it lettermail. The prices are here:  http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/send/lettersdocuments.jsf

If the listing hasn't ended yet and there is already a bid on it you can't make changes to the shipping area so you would have to wait until the auction has ended and then send an invoice with the correct shipping cost.

Calculated shipping with not work if the dimensions entered are not within the minimum/maximum measurements for that particular service. The most common problem is when sellers are entering expedited USA as those minimum dimensions are higher than the dimensions for parcel services within Canada. Minimum package size for expedited USA is 21 x 14 x 0.5 CM. On your current listings there is no price showing for the U.S.so I suspect that might be the problem. Check the min and max sizes for each shipping service on the CP website. Unfortunately even if a particular size gives you a price on the canadapost caluclator it doesn't mean that size is above the minimum measurements for that service.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Shipping from Canada can be confusing and it is important that you learn about the different services available. For most of the items that you are selling I would use light or small packet USA to the U.S. and light or small packet international to other countries. Those service do not have delivery confirmation or insurance but are more reasonably priced than the tracked packet you are using overseas. Few people are going to pay $50+ shipping to Europe unless the item itself is large or expensive. In the category that you are selling in you might have a higher rate of loss than in some of the other categories so when you are pricing your shipping but you could self insure or use a third party insurance company when shipping higher priced items.

Some of your listings are using xpresspost within Canada. If you use expedited parcel and print your labels through paypal you will receive 18% off of counter prices. That will cost your buyers less than the cost for xpresspost.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If the item is over 2cm you are probably running into a measurement problem between Canada Post and USPS. The answer, if you can change the measurements in your listing, is to make them a centimetre larger, which will match CP's standards with the USPS minimum.

Femme, I find it confusing when you bring the USPS measurements into the equation. As far as I know, the min sizes CP chooses to use have nothing to do with USPS. Yes, the min. size for similar named services (Canada expedited parcel vs USA expedited parcel) are different but I'm not aware of any USPS service that has the same size requirements as expedited USA so I'm sure that these are CP standards only..nothing to do with USPS standards.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

br0ker0
Community Member
I just ended up messaging the buyer, relocating the item with free shipping and a buyout price that includes the quoted shipping price.

Hopefully I don't get a negative comment out of this wonderful experience.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

br0ker0
Community Member
Thanks to all for your time/input though
Message 8 of 8
latest reply