Buyer claims PayPal refund not rec'd....

I have a buyer that made a purchase on Sept. 22. It was shipped the next day. On Oct. 25 I received a message from her claiming that she had not received it. I immediately issued a full PayPal refund and sent her a message to let her know that it had been refunded. She contacted me again, twice, claiming that she did not receive the refund. After the second email I sent her a copy of the transaction in my PayPal account and told her to contact PayPal if it was not credited to her account. I could not find any email from PayPal saying that the refund had been given.

Today she contacted me again with the following message:

I NEVER GOT THIS REFUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU SAID I DID
I DID NOT
PLEASE CHECK

I replied that the refund had been issued as stated, that I had sent her a copy of the PayPal transaction and that she should contact either eBay or PayPal as I do not have access to her account.

Any advice on how to handle this? Nothing pops up in the Contact Us on eBay that covers this problem.

Thanks,

Judy
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I don't think paypal sends out emails about refunds anymore. I wonder if that is what she is waiting for and if she actually signed into her account and looked.

The only thing that I can think of is to phone paypal and explain the situation and they could check her account to see if it is there. Perhaps she'll believe you when you tell her that paypal confirmed that the refund was in her account?
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Something similar happened to me last month. I refunded a buyer and sent her a mutual cancellation explaining what it was all about....she had been very friendly throughout everything. But she denied the cancellation and when I asked her why she said it was because she didn't get the refund. I wrote back telling her the refund had been made a few days before and asked to please check her account and to let me know. I never heard anything back from her.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Thanks PJ.

eBay & PP support are pretty much non-existent unless you have a problem that is common. I tried contacting both eBay and PayPal but my circumstances don't meet their criteria to be able to contact them. All PP would give me was the option to open a dispute. All I want to find out is whether or not the refund has been credited to this buyer's account.

I guess I will just have to wait and see if the buyer opens a claim in which case I will win because the money was taken from my account. They don't seem to give me any other option.

Judy
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I emailed the buyer again and told her to look under my registered business name in PayPal rather than my store name. It had suddenly occurred to me that that might be the reason she did not see the refund.

Anyway, within a short time she left positive feedback. She didn't contact me again but I am assuming that is what happened.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I'm glad that everything got worked out.

I've always had good luck with contacting paypal. I just go to my paypal account,click on contact us at the bottom of the page, click on speak to us (or email us) and it gives me a phone number and pin number.

Ebay is definitely another matter!
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I'm glad that everything got worked out.

I've always had good luck with contacting paypal. I just go to my paypal account,click on contact us at the bottom of the page, click on speak to us (or email us) and it gives me a phone number and pin number.

Ebay is definitely another matter!

I did phone PayPal. They gave me a pin number and I was able to get through to them but all I got was voice mail and none of their options fit my problem....just like eBay.

I have phoned PayPal in the past, once or twice, and had no problem getting a live person to talk to.

Fortunately it worked out so I didn't have to bother trying again.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

all I got was voice mail and none of their options fit my problem....just like eBay.

None of the options ever seem to fit me lol. I usually keep pressing buttons until eventually I can talk to a real person. Sometimes just saying "agent" works too.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I'll have to try that the next time I have to call them.

Since PayPal handles the financial transactions of thousands of businesses on eBay alone one would think they would be easier to contact. If I had that much trouble getting to talk to a live person at my bank, I would change banks in a flash.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Judy,

Like PJ, when I call PayPal I just keep saying OVER and OVER and OVER again....AGENT!

Eventually you will get a real live person and they will send you off in the right direction!

Glad all worked out for you!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Thanks Susan. I'll start practicing now as I am sure I will need to call them again at some time. Instead of counting sheep....agent, agent, agent........

:-)
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Glad it worked out.

Wanna laugh? I learned the AGENT trick a few years ago. I was on voice mail heck with PayPal once and was furiously swearing into the phone to each response. At one point the machine said - Did you say agent?

Er....Why YES, YES I DID!! LOL and I got a person on the phone. ROFLMAO :^O
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Glad it worked out.

Wanna laugh? I learned the AGENT trick a few years ago. I was on voice mail heck with PayPal once and was furiously swearing into the phone to each response. At one point the machine said - Did you say agent?

Er....Why YES, YES I DID!! LOL and I got a person on the phone. ROFLMAO :^O

:^O:-D:^O

That's a good one! I remember making some comments during the voice mail as well. Maybe if I had done a little more swearing myself it would have worked for me!
Message 13 of 13
latest reply